PDA

View Full Version : Another flight, another question!

Nicholas49
25th Jan 2012, 10:17
Morning PPRuNers

I flew into London Luton on Monday with easyJet. I experienced something that I am sure is routine for you guys, but was the first time for me.

After braking on the landing roll, the pilots did a 180 degree-turn on the runway, taxied back up the runway a bit and then exited. My question is: did they do this because they passed the first exit (presumably they didn't manage to slow sufficiently to use it?), but didn't want to go all the way to the end of the runway to use the exit there? I'm afraid I don't know which direction we came in from, thus the runway in use. Also, would you need ATC permission for this manoeuvre / confirmation that there was no other aircraft on short finals? Just curious. It was fun! :ok:

750XL
25th Jan 2012, 10:42
London Luton doesn't have any taxiways that lead right up to the end of either runway, so at the end of each runway is a 'turning circle' which is used to turn the aircraft 180 degrees and face in the right direction, which is what I assume you did. For places like Luton it won't need specific clearance as it's the only way to turn around on the runway, but places like Manchester (on 23L) where there is a taxiway 'loop' at the bottom it usually requires clearance.

Level bust
25th Jan 2012, 11:24
Most a/c can turn on the runway, they don't need to use the turning circle.

Nicholas49
25th Jan 2012, 12:40
750XL: Thanks for the reply. Just to clarify: on the outbound flight, we used the turning circle at the end of the runway. However, on the return flight (described above), they did not use the turning circle after landing. We turned on the runway itself.

I've flown into Luton (yes, I agree it's definitely not in London) quite a few times, but I'm fairly sure this was the first time I experienced this manoeuvre.

Skipness One Echo
25th Jan 2012, 13:39
The turning circle is at the end of the runway, aircraft tend to stop well before that and an Airbus can happily be 180-ed on a runway like Luton. There would be no need to go all the way to the end. The same happens at London City every day

Wycombe
25th Jan 2012, 14:49
I once pax'ed on a Caledonian L1011 from LTN (we are going back a bit!), and we definitely used the turning circle, and also most inches of the TORA upon departure :eek: (which was to LCA on a hot August day with around 400 POB).

Georgeablelovehowindia
26th Jan 2012, 07:34
The longest wheelbase aircraft that can turn comfortably on Luton's standard width runway is the 757. The 767-200 can theoretically be turned, but a Britannia Airways crew put the wheels on the grass trying it, dug in, and I think they forbad the manoevre after that.

When Court Line operated TriStars out of Luton, they had sets of transit marker boards at each turning circle. The idea was to keep going straight ahead into the circle until the flight deck was abeam one set, then turn forty-five degrees left to line up on the next set, and when you couldn't see any pavement in front, initiate a full-lock right turn to line up for takeoff. The marker boards were taken away some time after Court Line went bust.

Akrapovic
26th Jan 2012, 19:50
They must have landed longer than usual as in the 4+ years or so I've operated out of Luton, I only ever once saw someone miss the normal turn off for either end of the runway, and that was a biz jet . . . .

I'd say ATC base their spacings on you making these exits, otherwise you can expect a call to expedite the backtrack!

Luton's good fun tho, especially on a gusty day onto 08 . . . :ok:

Flightwatch
26th Jan 2012, 21:07
When Court Line operated TriStars out of Luton, they had sets of transit marker boards at each turning circle. The idea was to keep going straight ahead into the circle until the flight deck was abeam one set, then turn forty-five degrees left to line up on the next set, and when you couldn't see any pavement in front, initiate a full-lock right turn to line up for takeoff. The marker boards were taken away some time after Court Line went bust.

Same deal at Cambridge after a BA 744 went into the mud. Shortest runway I ever landed a 747 at, LDA 5735ft. (1748m) on 23 - never had to use 05 which is 400 ft. shorter.

Dan Winterland
27th Jan 2012, 04:51
The 747 can turn a lot tighter than other widebodies due to it's body gear steering. Doing a 180 on a standard 45m wide runway isn't an issue. One company I flew for had B747s and A340s. The B747s were used on some routes because they were into airports with taxying issues and the 747s were more manouevreable.

TopBunk
27th Jan 2012, 07:03
Dan W said:

Doing a 180 on a standard 45m wide runway isn't an issue.

Whilst I agree with the fact that the turning cirlce is impressive, my manuals state that the minimum turning circle is 153ft/46.6 metres, so have to disagree with it not being an issue.

Bearing in mind that the 153/46.6 numbers are demonstrated by Beoing test pilots with no room for error. I would suggest that your average line pilot would prefer north of 50 metres, especially if damp/wet (let alone slippery) with any risk of nose wheel slippage.

Nicholas49
27th Jan 2012, 08:25
They must have landed longer than usual as in the 4+ years or so I've operated out of Luton, I only ever once saw someone miss the normal turn off for either end of the runway, and that was a biz jet . . .

I'm interested to hear you say that, Akrapovic. I am not a professional pilot, nor do I fly into Luton nearly enough to comment, but on the occasions I have landed there in a B737 and A320, I don't remember doing a 180 turn on the runway. It certainly felt like there was a 'brake harder!' moment on the landing roll, but I suppose you often do that to try to make an exit.

And just in case there is any potential to misunderstand my comments: I am not criticising the pilots. I am just curious.

Thanks for the replies.

dixi188
27th Jan 2012, 10:17
While most aircraft types can do a 180 on a 45M wide runway it makes more sense to go to the end if you miss the turn off and turn on the turning circle as it gives you more room for error ( ie. less chance of a wheel in the mud) and is less stressful on the gear and tyres.

We fly into LTN regularly with A300s and usually make the turn off, but if it's wet and we are at max landing weight we sometimes go to the end. Again less stress on the aircraft and less wear on the brakes.

Double Hydco
27th Jan 2012, 10:42
I'm not LTN based, but I fly the A319/320 from there on occasion.

It should be noted that the runway turnoffs at Luton are not RET's (rapid exits) as they have at STN or LGW, but 90 degree turns, and have to be taken at a fairly slow speed.

So, if you are going a little fast for the exit, then a quick backtrack of the runway is probably the quickest way off. The A319 can turn on a sixpence.

The "brake harder" moment you mention was possibly the pilots overriding the auto-brake by applying pedal pressure themselves?

DH

Dan Winterland
27th Jan 2012, 11:30
Top Bunk - you are correct. It's seven years since I last flew one! It can still outurn a 340 on the ground though.