PDA

View Full Version : A345s to Chavez

Curry Goat
24th Jan 2012, 12:19
According to below, Chavez has bought 4 A345s from an airline in the UAE. My friends in Etihad say they are definitely not theirs. Guess that means they are EK's. Thanks to the media (once again) for keeping us up to date with the goings on of our airline:)

CARACAS, Venezuela (AP) – Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez said Sunday that his government plans to buy new Embraer jets from Brazil as well as used Airbus jets to expand his country's state airline Conviasa.

Chavez said Venezuela will negotiate credit with the Brazilian Development Bank to buy up to 20 Embraer jets from Brazil.
Chavez thanked Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff "for the credit they're going to give us." He said the estimated cost of 20 jets would be $814 million.
The Venezuelan government had said earlier this month that Chavez approved plans to buy six Embraer jets. But during Chavez's Sunday television and radio program, Oil Minister Rafael Ramirez laid out the options of buying either 10 or 20 Embraer jets.
"It's enough to see Venezuela's location on the map to conclude on the pressing need for us to have a very powerful airline," Chavez said.
Chavez's government has subsidized Conviasa since its launch in 2004. The president on Sunday did not provide information about how much the government has spent on the airline in recent years.
According to Conviasa's website, it currently has a fleet of 18 planes. In addition to domestic routes, Conviasa has international flights to cities including Buenos Aires, and Damascus, Syria, among others.
Chavez also said Venezuela will buy four used Airbus 340-500 jets from an airline in the United Arab Emirates at a cost of about $60 million per plane.
Bolivian President Evo Morales, a Chavez ally, has announced similar plans to expand his country's state airline, Boliviana de Aviacion, or BoA.
Morales last month proposed to buy six Embraer 190 jets during a meeting with Rousseff in Caracas.

Craggenmore
24th Jan 2012, 15:50
Venezuela inks deal to buy Airbus planes from UAE - Transport - ArabianBusiness.com (http://www.arabianbusiness.com/venezuela-inks-deal-buy-airbus-planes-from-uae-441845.html)

Venezuela's state carrier will buy four used Airbus A340-500 planes for $240m from the United Arab Emirates, President Hugo Chavez said on Sunday.

BigGeordie
25th Jan 2012, 03:15
I believe Thai have been trying to get rid of their A340s for a while and can't give them away, so these must have been a bargain.

crewmeal
25th Jan 2012, 05:35
One no doubt will be for himself so he can swan about the world as he sees fit.

akerosid
25th Jan 2012, 20:44
So, I guess we'll see Conviasa flying nonstop CCS-Tehran, without the need to stop in Damascus ...

I'm not surprised that EK is the carrier in question, since the A345 has long since been relegated to routes far below its range capability. It'll be sad to see them go; whatever about their economics, certainly the best looking aircraft in the EK fleet ...

JetPhotos.Net Photo » A6-ERF (CN: 394) Emirates Airbus A340-541 by John Fitzpatrick (http://jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=7252472&nseq=0)

White Knight
26th Jan 2012, 00:25
It'll be sad to see them go; whatever about their economics, certainly the best looking aircraft in the EK fleet ...

Amen to that.... The most beautiful aeroplane in the EK fleet and a real honey to fly:ok::ok::ok::ok::ok:

three eighty
26th Jan 2012, 05:13
Anythings possible.

Far Rider
26th Jan 2012, 12:05
Venezuela Goes on an Airliner Buying Binge | NYCAviation (http://nycaviation.com/2012/01/venezuela-goes-on-airliner-buying-binge/)

Planes are coming from Etihad.

CanadaRocks
26th Jan 2012, 14:56
Etihad has only 4-A345's, maybe zero now :{
How many A345 does EK operate still?
Thanks
And it is lovely to fly :ok:

Togalk
26th Jan 2012, 16:27
So much for the first line in the first post about NOT being EY's!

Curry Goat
27th Jan 2012, 01:47
Just was passing on what the boys (who had asked their boss) at EY were saying. It's clear that their boss is as clueless as ours (EK)

springbok449
27th Jan 2012, 02:47
Contacted,

I agree with you saying that the 345 is not popular with the accountants, but it was the accountants that pushed the airlines to go for 345/346 instead of the 777 as it was much cheaper and Airbus mirrored some amazing fuel burns etc...
In the long run it backfired and they all wished that they had 777s instead...

I also agree that it' s lovely to fly.

Bokkie

Hook
27th Jan 2012, 05:04
I agree with you saying that the 345 is not popular with the accountants, but it was the accountants that pushed the airlines to go for 345/346 instead of the 777 as it was much cheaper and Airbus mirrored some amazing fuel burns etc...

Sorry folks, I humbly think you're wrong. When built, the 345 was the only airplane capable of flying around 18 hours non-stop, which opened many new options. The 777-200LR was still a couple of years away.

What changed everything were the new GE engines on the 777.

Yes, the 345's a lovely airplane to look at. Not as gorgeous to fly as the 343 though.

The Zohan
27th Jan 2012, 05:49
Not as gorgeous to fly as the 343 though.

i'm all with you on this one...

tz