PDA

View Full Version : Tracing RAF crew service record

g00n
24th Jan 2012, 08:44
Hello everyone,
I've been pointed at the PPRuNe forum by a fellow member over at Britmodeller, where I asked for some help with the request I've copied below.
Many thanks to anyone that can help.

Does anybody have any pointers for finding the war records of a relative. My grandfather-in-law (deceased) was a bombardier on Halifaxes during the second World War, and I fancy doing the new Revell kit as an aircraft he might have flown.

Are there any free online resources for finding his service record? I'm happy to pay once I've got an idea how much information might be out there.

At the moment I've only got his name to go on (his surname is very distinctive, which might help). I could probably get his service number, but I'd like it to be a surprise for me father-in-law.

Without his logbook, what are my chances of pinning down an aircraft I can reasonably be sure he flew on?

Thanks for any help,
Gareth

JW411
24th Jan 2012, 14:27
Normally, Service Records will only be released to near relatives. Perhaps you might get some advice at:

service records sar form requests (http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/service_records.html)

Follow the links which will take you to the relevant MOD website address (which is too long to post here)!

JW411
24th Jan 2012, 14:58
Going back to your original questions; once you get his Service Record then you will know which squadron(s) he served on. Then you can access the Operations Record Book (ORB) for the relevant squadron. It is split into two parts; the F540 which gives a monthly summary and the F541 which lists individual flights with a crew list and an aircraft identification. That should give you the answers that you want. These documents are held in the National Archives (used to be the Public Records Office) at Kew. I believe that a lot of the archives can now be accessed on line.

Tankertrashnav
24th Jan 2012, 15:01
g00n - If you are serious about this your best plan is to employ the services of a professional researcher who will be familiar with the National Archive at Kew and will be able to get you a surprising amount of information. Once they have a number, rank and name to work with they will be able to get access to F540/541 which are the squadron daily operational records. From these they will be able to tell you every op he flew on, aircraft in which flown, names of the whole crew, targets attacked and bomb-loads carried etc. Of course this costs money, but not as much as you might think None of this information is available on the internet to the best of my knowledge. PM me and I can put you on to a reliable researcher.

Oh by the way - bombardier is an American term - the RAF had bomb-aimers ;)

Edited to say I see that JW411 has beaten me to it - but I'll leave this here to reiterate what he says.

g00n
27th Jan 2012, 08:10
Thanks for the helpful replies. I'll see what I can find out from the links.

I don't want to get in to it too seriously as it's only really a matter of curiosity to add spice to a little project.

Oh by the way - bombardier is an American term - the RAF had bomb-aimers ;)

Sorry! I know that, must have been thinking about beer at the time....;)

Many thanks again for taking the time to reply,
Gareth

redsetter
27th Jan 2012, 13:11
While tankertrashnav is undoubtedly correct that a professional researcher is the quickest way to dig up data, don't be put off having a go at the National Archives yourself. With all the on-line finding aids it should be moderately easy to determine the document references (squadron ORBs etc) before a visit. And once you're there, the help desk can point you at other sources. I seem to recall the NA used to do a leaflet about tracing RAF relatives - might be available on the NA website. I know that some local genealogy groups run occasional coach trips to the NA - which can be a convenient way of visiting if you don't live within sensible driving distance.

rs

Tankertrashnav
27th Jan 2012, 14:41
Thats very true redsetter - and if I lived in striking distance of Kew I'd have done a lot more myself. However as I'm in Cornwall it's always been cheaper to pay the modest fees charged by a researcher - although undoubtedly it would have been more interesting to have had a go myself.

Icare9
27th Jan 2012, 17:12
Hmmmm....
Halifax model that the GFiL may have flown.....
Well, apart from the different engines between Hercules and Merlins, then you have the triangular or D shaped rudders, then either a nose turret or glazed, with or without a gun, which type of mid upper turret, different undercarriage and a few other local mods to consider!!

Is there no evidence of what Squadron he may have flown in, or when, or any Service docs, log books, medals that could be furtively recorded as to their contents? You can easily find Squadron Codes, but individual aircraft letter and match to appropriate serial may be more time consuming than finding the ORB's etc!!

That's not meaning to deter you, just pointing out to what degree of accuracy you might want to achieve - a "representative" aircraft or actually one he may have flown....

It might also be interesting to add a page showing your research as to accuracy etc as FiL may not otherwise appreciate the efforts you have gone to....

Grob Queen
27th Jan 2012, 20:42
RAF Service records are available for around £25 from RAF Disclosures at RAF Cranwell. The Head of Section was Valerie Young, but as she's leaving I am unsure who her replacement will be. Either write to Airmans Records or Officer's REcords:

RAF Disclosures
Trenchard Hall
RAF Cranwell
Sleaford
Lincolnshire
NG34 8HB

They will require you to prove that you are the next living next-of-kin as they will only give the information to that person. Therefore if your grandmother-in-law or their children are still alive, they will be the ones who will have to ask for the record.

Other sources - the RAF Museum [email protected] or AHB [email protected]

Hope this helps

LesleyP
30th Jan 2012, 10:00
Gareth - try getting mother-in-law in on the act. Your father-in-law may have some documentation on your grandad-in-law and, if he got married during the war, his service number may be on his marriage certificate. It was on my parents. Softly, softly - as they say.