PDA

View Full Version : Requested time overhead on the E190

Broomstick Flier
23rd Jan 2012, 17:43
Chaps,

After exausting the resources I have on hands, (FMS user's manual) I will need some expert's advice with the programming of the E190 FMS to accomodate a request from ATC to reach a given intersection at a specific time, i.e. "Reach ABCDE no later than 1900Z" or "after 1902Z"

After browsing through the pages of the manual I had the impression this is not possible via FMS, but would require some manual speed control.

Thanks for the usual help!
Cheers
BF

Sydy
23rd Jan 2012, 21:46
RTA - Requested Time of Arrival is not available not, but it will be in the future fms software updates! I know it isnin the Road Plan.

All the best,

Sydy

Broomstick Flier
24th Jan 2012, 08:59
Thanks!

Waiting then...

hawker750
24th Jan 2012, 10:12
:ugh:Broomstick
For heaven's sake why are you asking such a daft question. Ever since the abacus if you divide distance by speed you get time to a point. You could even get the speed you need by dividing distance by the required time to the point x 60. This is sub GCSE
maths. Why on earth do you need an FMS to tell you this? Another example of pilots becoming computer operators...words fail me

Mr Levitator
24th Jan 2012, 12:17
hawker750, have you considered, a route could have differing track on route legs which means differing ground speeds? Differing winds at flight levels (ground speed again) and temperatures (TAS this time - excuse the pun) during a climb or descent?

The current FMS's do a very good job on the RTA front. I particularly like not having to use a abacus after a 14hr flight to Australia for instance, where inevitably an RTA is issued mid descent.

Broomstick Flier
24th Jan 2012, 12:55
Dear hawker750,

Thanks for the very positive remark, exactly what I was hoping for :=

Just for the records Sir, I am quite new on the type and thus am exploring and trying to learn all possible tricks it is able to do, but it does not mean I will actually use them on a day to day basis, but the knowledge will exist in the case the need arises and I am on a lazy day not wanting to do sub-GCSE maths.

But worry not, fortunately my lazy days are quite apart and I am more than happy to fly manually most of the time below RVSM airspace, mental calculations are the norm and I even press the seasoned captains I fly with for useful advise and tricks of the trade to make me a better aviator, after all, this is what is written on my license.:ok:

Cheers

Zeffy
25th Jan 2012, 13:31
Broomstick --

No E190 experience, but have flown extensively the EPIC FMS.

As noted above, the RTA function does not exist, but if your flavor of FMS software include a "What If" selection, it is possible via trial and error to examine the effects of various cruise Mach settings on ETA at a specific waypoint/fix.

Capn Bloggs
25th Jan 2012, 13:59
No RTA? Has it got a Cost Index function? On our non-jungle jet machine, we just adjust the Cost Index to achieve a TOT (time at a waypoint); especially useful for waypoints in the descent, as the RTA function for descent waypoints is a WOFTAM.

GAFA
26th Jan 2012, 10:38
No CI on the 190. I just go Manual speed, adjust as required and then change the speeds in the Perf page and then back to FMS speeds.

Broomstick Flier
26th Jan 2012, 12:46
Indeed no CI on ours either. Perhaps some day when they decide to provide a decent performance package with the FMS.

Thanks for the tips anyway, will make some tests on my next flights.

:ok: