PDA

View Full Version : Youngest 'First Solo' in a Helicopter ?

FLY 7
23rd Jan 2012, 15:39
Anyone know the youngest age that anyone has 'officially' made their first solo flight in a helicopter?

By 'officially', I mean, as part of a recognised training syllabus at the legally allowable age.

Particularly interested in the UK record for 'piston' and/or 'turbine' helicopter, which would presumably be after 16th birthday?

thanks

Epiphany
23rd Jan 2012, 15:46
If it is mental age then some pilots I've met must have qualified at age 6 or 7.

bast0n
23rd Jan 2012, 15:56
Epiphany

"an appearance or manifestation, especially of a deity. "

Is this you?

I am very upset and resemble your last remark........................:)

D

g-mady
23rd Jan 2012, 16:44
Hi,

I flew solo on my sixteenth birthday and was told that although there is no official recognition I was one of three.
Even Guinness wold records would not accept it as an achievement because it was simply an age at which I did something.

I like to think tha being born at 5am gives me a fighting chance!

MADY

FLY 7
23rd Jan 2012, 16:47
Mady

Out of interest, was that in a piston or turbine helicopter?

g-mady
23rd Jan 2012, 16:50
Yep, piston

Savoia
23rd Jan 2012, 19:07
Well done Mady, you did better than me.

When I was 14 my godfather lobbied the CAA for permission for me to solo on my 15th birthday. The flight was to take place at Hethel Airfield in Norfolk (the home of Team Lotus) with Colin Chapman the keen sponsor of the event!

The CAA refused to 'budge' (despite my 300+ hours logged in dual-controlled aircraft with my godfather) and which upset Colin no end. Eventually he said to the Colonel "To hell, with it .. its my helicopter and its my airfield .. we'll simply do as we bl**dy well want!" (or words to that effect). By this time Imperial Tobacco (John Player) had come on-board (through Colin) and saw this as a 'promotional opportunity' and were terribly keen for me to solo asap. The Colonel however had to explain that without CAA approval .. nothing much would happen and, as a result, the opportunity came and went.

With the possibility of achieving something new, now out of the window, I eventually soloed on my 17th birthday (enter Denissimo) under the watchful eye of the late Sqn Ldr Antonio 'Nobby' Clarke (ex-Queen's Flight).

As Dennis would know .. and as chance would have it (seeing as he had bought Colin's 206) I ended-up performing the solo on the very craft originally planned .. G-AYTF 'The Dancer' the ex-Team Lotus ship.

The FAA (from what I have heard) tend to be more adventurous in these matters and one of the youngest chaps to solo Stateside was Jonathan Strickland (http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/232726-14-year-old-drivers.html) who soloed a fixed-wing and a helicopter on his 14th birthday in 2006.

I am incredibly proud of Jonathan's achievements and find his passion for flight inspiring and have used him as an example with numerous aspiring aviators who in turn have been encouraged by his zeal and determination.

More about Jonathan here (http://jonathanstrickland.com/).

007helicopter
23rd Jan 2012, 19:22
Savoia that is some story you have but Johnathan as you mention had one hell of a benefactor, good for him.

2006- 14 years old:

1st aircraft solo (Cessna 152) – record holder, youngest to achieve
1st helicopter solo (Robinson R22) – record holder youngest to achieve)
1st International helicopter trip from Los Angeles to Vancouver, Canada – record holder
1st same day aircraft & helicopter solo – record holder, youngest to achieve
First Year of High School
2007 – 15 years old:

FLY 7
23rd Jan 2012, 19:43
Yes, I found the Strickland thread (http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/232726-14-year-old-drivers.html). He had to go to Canada where they permitted a solo flight at the age of 14. However, this was again in a 'piston' helicopter, and it doesn't seem to mention when he solo'd in a 'turbine'.

I was wondering - how much of an achievement/record would it be for a youngster (not me :( ) to fly both a piston and a turbine helicopter 'solo' on their 16th birthday ?

DennisK
23rd Jan 2012, 20:53
In 2009, a business colleague's 16 year old son, Rowan Lawson soloed on his 16th birthday at Shoreham Airport ... first on an Enstrom G-BBPO for a fifteen minute flight and one hour later repeated a 1st solo on a fixed wing Scottish Aviation Bulldog (nee Beagle 150).

One year later at Shoreham Airport, his younger brother, Sebastian Lawson repeated the exercise with a 1st solo on his 16th birthday flying the same Enstrom and like his brother went on to 1st solo a fixed wing the same day. Both passed their skills test on both rotary and fixed wing types on their 17th birthdays to qualify for the CAA (EU) licences.

The youngest 1st solo I've heard of took place at Redhill Aerodrome on 13th August 1994 when the pilot was aged 13 years & one month. The aircraft was a Hughes 269 with the event being recorded on video. The pilot had 115 hours in his log book. The pilot later soloed officially on his 16th birthday on both a Schweizer 269C and a TB10 fixed wing on 10th July 1997.

These days, the youngsters beat us to it all the time! Dennis K.

206Fan
23rd Jan 2012, 22:47
115 Hours at the age of 13? I am baffled!!

g-mady
24th Jan 2012, 09:05
Is it the case that you can fly solo younger than 16 but can't log it under JAR until 16?

As they say in football "if your good enough your old enough"

MADY

sightlesseyes
24th Jan 2012, 09:30
Guinness have said they're no longer registering youngest solo yachtsmen/women records so as not to encourage young people into dangerous situations. Do they hold the same opinion of flying, I wonder?

FLY 7
24th Jan 2012, 09:40
Under JAR, I believe you can log official hours, under instruction, from any age. However, they are only acredited to the official qualifying hours from age 14. Earliest solo remains 16.

Guiness say they no longer record most age related achievements unless they are truly exceptional - ie youngest/oldest personal to climb Everest, walk to the north pole, etc.

Jet Ranger
24th Jan 2012, 12:05
First solo multi-engine? :E

Lama Bear
24th Jan 2012, 14:29
Craig Hosking 16th birthday soloed:

Bell 47G3-B1
Bell 206B
Cherokee 140
Comanche 400

Chopri
25th Jan 2012, 12:16
11 years ago I made my first solo on a H269, 1 day after my 16th birthday (I looked like i was 11 though!). Personaly I was not so busy with breaking any records, I just thought it was about time to fly alone. It did get mentioned in the news and some newspapers. But for me, back then, it was the most normal thing to do.

Before i was flying helicopters i went also solo on a glider, 1 day after my 14th birthday.

FLY 7
26th Jan 2012, 22:12
Accepting that it's questionable what's actually a 'record' - my son made his contribution today.

On his 16th birthday, he made his first solo flight in a 5-seater turbine (EN480B), followed by a solo flight in a 2/3-seater piston (S300C). Both at Gloucestershire Airport.

Weather was bit challenging, but all went smoothly, and was professionally videod, so I'll post a link at some point.

egbjdh
27th Jan 2012, 06:50
Congratulations FLY 7 and congratulations to your son too! :D

I see your son's story has made Helihub news today 16th birthday first solo on turbine and piston helicopters | Helihub - the Helicopter Industry Data Source (http://www.helihub.com/2012/01/27/16th-birthday-first-solo-on-turbine-and-piston-helicopters/)
and also top story on flygloster.co.uk Gloucestershire Airport - A View from the Cafe (http://www.flygloster.co.uk)

Savoia
27th Jan 2012, 07:28
A couple of weeks back I posted a piece on the Coffee Break (http://www.pprune.org/6931178-post140.html) thread.

But for now .. my sincere congratualtions to PPRuNer FLY 7's son for his achievement yesterday!

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-uXT3019JAjQ/TyJdY8iSQgI/AAAAAAAAHkQ/fe87UCN-PjQ/s687/Oliver%2520Chadwick.jpg
Oliver Chadwick (son of PPRuNer FLY 7) completes his fist solo at Gloucestershire Airport on 26th January 2012

Oliver if you are reading this, my profound congratulations! :D The gift of flight is one of life's blessings. Embrace it, treasure it, nurture it.

More here (http://www.gloucestershireairport.co.uk/PR/Press_Release_Ollie_Chadwick.pdf).

g-mady
27th Jan 2012, 15:35
Well done Oliver!!!

I remember the feeling well (and the stress levels!) Amazing achievement to solo on both types in one day!!!

MADY

DennisK
28th Jan 2012, 18:20
Many congratulations to young Oliver and his instructor Ray for a fine achievement ... and welcome to the wonderful world of rotary. Dennis K.

EESDL
31st Jan 2012, 18:59
Ginetta News - GINETTA JUNIOR DRIVER TAKES TO THE SKIES IN HIS FIRST SOLO FLIGHT (http://www.ginetta.com/news_article?id=492)

It's a small world - found this whilst wasting time in KLM's AMS lounge - taken from website of one-time employer.............

206Fan
31st Jan 2012, 20:26
Fly 7,

Many Congrats to your Son, Brilliant :D

Dave

FLY 7
31st Jan 2012, 21:38
Thanks for the kind comments, which he's read.

In fairness he was very fortunate, but the opportunity was there, excellent instruction, and first class facilities at Gloucester.

FLY 7
2nd Feb 2012, 16:13
Now with a short video link

Io_abZGX5Ik

Weather was mixed, so mainly confined to low level manoeuvres within the airfield whilst safe. Also, the camera inside the Enstrom switched off, so no internal cockpit shots.

GoodGrief
2nd Feb 2012, 16:19
Devil's advocate here:
First solo in 18 to 25kt winds? Solo on two types?
Now, what kind of irresponsible school is that?

FLY 7
2nd Feb 2012, 17:03
Actually, the weather was fine during the flights - you'll hear the Tower confirm the wind at the time was 220/10kts and the flights were confined to low level into wind manoeuvres. The captions referred to earlier forecasts.

pitot212
2nd Feb 2012, 17:13
Known Ray for more years than I care to remember, a true professional so if he says it was safe to solo then you can rest assured that it was ok. So well done to Ollie and Ray:ok:

helihub
11th Jan 2013, 22:11
Another posting for this thread - doesn't mention it's on her birthday, but this girl age 16 in the Manchester Evening News today has solo'd in an R44 from Barton (whoops, City Airport Manchester).

story at Sky's the limit for 16-year-old private pilot from Stockport | Manchester Evening News - menmedia.co.uk (http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/s/1597901_skys-the-limit-for-16-year-old-private-pilot-from-stockport)

http://m.gmgrd.co.uk/res/892.$plit/C_71_article_1597901_image_list_image_list_item_0_image.jpg? 10%2F01%2F2013%2018%3A44%3A44%3A427

206Fan
11th Jan 2013, 22:40
Amazing. Well done young lady :D

KNIEVEL77
15th Jan 2013, 10:10
Great milestone and very well done.
I've always wondered about these youngsters who solo at a tender age; do their parents fly or own the aircraft they train on and have they been brought up in the aviation world from a young age allowing them access to the aircraft and knowledge they need to fly? Conversely, the daughter of the owner of my nearest FTO has absolutely no interest in flying at all even though all of the aircraft and training is available to her.
I remember as a kid always wanting to fly but my parents barely had enough money to lend me for driving lessons never mind flying lessons, even now 30 year on, i'm still struggling to find enough money to continue training.

Dennis Kenyon
15th Jan 2013, 17:43
Well ... its always a massive advantage for a youngsters to be part of a rotary family, especially if Dad is an instructor. I've found many juniors adapt to the handling like it was something they've always done. My son managed straight & level flight in an Enstrom 280C Shark at around seven years. By 13 years and three weeks, he was handling every exercise in the PPL syllabus especially well and with some 100 hours in his unofficial log book, he was holding a hover as well as me. DRK

KNIEVEL77
15th Jan 2013, 18:17
Very interesting.
So can one take control of an aircraft at any age providing he/she is supervised a bit like when your father lets you drive his car on private land at a young age?
And if someone goes solo on the first date they are legally able to fly do the governing bodies not ask questions or once again is it just like passing your driving test on the earliest possible legal date?

Finnrotor.com
15th Jan 2013, 19:29
And if someone goes solo on the first date they are legally able to fly do the governing bodies not ask questions
I'm really not sure how things are today and there might also be differences between Countries. But I did my PPL (A) check ride 1 day after I turned 17 (minimum age to get PPL), all training including solo's were done when I was 16. It was lightyears ago but back then my Local aviation authority (no one knew about JAA /EASA at that time) demanded an official approval in writing from my parents. That was because I was still under a "legally responsible" age which was 18.

Yes it was a bit odd. I did aerobatics with C152 Aerobat before I was aloud to drive a car as minimum age for drivers license was, and still is, 18.:}

And no, none of my family /relatives had nothing to do with aviation. And we were not rich. I saved all childhood for it and my parents helped as much as they could. Great times.

FLY 7
15th Jan 2013, 19:34
That's brilliant. Is Megan on pprune?

Dennis Kenyon
15th Jan 2013, 21:06
EASA.CAA land ... Formal flying instruction can be logged at age 14 onwards. First solo at 16 and licence application at 17. Dennis K