PDA

View Full Version : Is it really worth being a helicopter pilot now?

Rdog
23rd Jan 2012, 09:16
Hey, my name is Ryan, and just today I started Year 12 in Gold Coast, Australia.

I just want to show a little background of myself before you know why I could question such a thing. So...

Ever since grade 8 I wanted to become a pilot. And so I was lucky enough to be enrolled in a school called "Aviation High" which (understandably) is a school that focuses on the aviation industry. I've been flying aircraft since I was 15 and I love it, love it enough to want a career out of it. I had no interested in the Military so I imagined to be a Airline pilot.

But it didn't take me long to realise the rising concern on level of Aircraft automation, decrease in pay (sourced from captain sullunbergs book) and the personal sacrifice of barely seeing your family, spending most of your nights sleeping in a hotel room. (also sourced from his book)

All I wanted was to FLY aircraft, not monitor computer screens. And I realised that Helicopters could be a great option as they are still advanced, Fun to FLY! as they will most likely never become so automatic as airline aircraft. and since most have a comparatively short range, I could always be close to family. (for most jobs atleast) I finally thought I had a solution.

But I've been talking... To other helicopter pilots and its becoming very clear the vast majority of helicopter pilots have a second job or business to co-onside with flying helicopters. I was utterly gutted when I came to terms with this fact.

I vaguely know how much it costs to train in a helicopter in America, (guessing thats where this website is from) but in Australia its about $60,000+. How the hell could I afford that? Without a student loan it could take me like 2-3 years?

So even If I have my CPL, and when I get my first job I dam well know I'm going be a legal slave, working for very little, (and from what I've heard) for FREE. as I'm spending the vast majority of my time doing chores, cleaning hangers helicopters and ect ect. Only then I get rewarded with boasting my hours up.

But if I knew that after gaining enough respectable hours. That I will end up with a secure and well paying job. I'll do it. But (as mentioned earlier) I had a serious talk to a helicopter trainer. He told me how It's hard to come by to have a stable and well paid job. and most of the helicopter pilots he knows, have 2nd jobs and businesses even AFTER investing $60,000 AFTER doing lame chores on ****ty pay for a few years gain hours.

But I do understand not all helicopter pilots are struggling, I'll imagine private hired pilots and corporate pilots especially have a secure and well paid job.

Don't get me wrong I'm a passionate pilots that loves to fly and will do so much for it! but after thinking about these circumstances I would have to face, I can't comprehend why I would invest so much of my money, sacrifice so much, for such a dismal Career...

Thomas coupling
23rd Jan 2012, 13:51
Let's look at the content of your question? Is it WORTH.....
If you mean financially, then almost certainly the question is a big NO. 95% of all helo pilots globally don't earn big bucks. A tiny fraction do - so it is feasible.
If you mean worth it from a rewarding perspective, then this is much more achievable and the reason for this is that MOST helo jobs are rewarding. A tiny fraction aren't.

Approach your future with this uppermost in your mind and you won't be disappointed when you get there Rdog.

I have done mil / charter / police / EMS in my time and the most rewarding was the Mil without question - not only because of the challenges of the job but because you were surrounded by like minded people who were all very professional and talked shop 24/7.
A very close 2nd is police for predominently the same reasons.

My batting order for fulfillment(top down):
FUN:ok:
Flying sophisticated expensive technology.
Challenging tasks.

My don't go there list:
Crappy jobs which are repetitive: Oil rigs/Instructing civvies/wire surveys.
Crappy helicopters: single engine pistons.:uhoh::uhoh:
Crappy bosses.

IF you want to fly helos to be able to climb into bed at the end of the day and say to yourself: Jackpot! (everyday):
do everything in your power to get your tickets and then target a specific job and go for it full on.
It can be done, I have seen a couple of 'non starters' become fully fledged professional helo jocks within 2 years.

Forget CV's get your face in front of the Boss man....enjoy and keep the ball in the middle. :ok:

paco
23rd Jan 2012, 14:41
In answer to your question - depends where you are. In Europe, right now? not really. In about 2 years, though in my humble opinion, it will be wildly different. Many other parts of the world are wide open for jobs and have been for a couple of years.

Oh yeah - better learn a language! my grapevine tells me that in some parts of S America your Spanish skills are more important than your flying skills, although you do need to have a licence and be competent, obviously :)

Aerobot
23rd Jan 2012, 14:47
I came up the civilian path: flying on weekends, scraping, studying, sacrificing (actually my wife did the sacrificing - I did the studying)...finally getting a job that paid about half what I made as a computer geek and being lucky to get that!

But I stuck with it, taught students, demo'd helicopters for buyers, swept the hangar...fast-forward and I was in my office at the airport where I flew for a television station. I was in the public eye, and guys would bring me their sons and say, "My son wants to be a helicopter pilot. Help me."

And I would take his son into my office where I always said the same thing to them: "If there is anything in life that you can imagine that could make you quit, then quit now. Because if you can be made to quit you will be."

And so I say that to you. But if there's not, then come aboard! There's plenty of room. Right now I'm a base manager for a hospital based EMS program. I've got a shiny almost-new EC135, a stable job, my mortgage is current...but along the way I passed up a lot of opportunities to quit.

I don't know how much flying means to you. But I can say that is there's anything you would be content doing apart from flying, do that. If there's not, then fly.

gnow
23rd Jan 2012, 14:57
I have been flying helicopters for 35 years ...from military, bush and offshore. My son is about the same age as you are having just completed year 12. At the moment there is a great shortage of heli pilots in my country BUT I am telling my son that if he wants to fly Rule no 1 is dont fly helicopters. To fly helicopters and take it as a career you need a certain type of out going personality and in my opinion this is best developed from the military and he is not keen on a military caReer. Rule No2 ..go get yourself at least a degree because most airlines hire only graduates and machines nowadays are geting sophiscated so I believe an education will be an asset.
Dont you know that flying a helicopter is much like flying an airliner esp if you are in offshore work. Not much of hands on. Yes you can argue that bush flying is real flying but you will be flying some old tech machines which are arguably more fun to fly BUT do not fetch much in jterms of pay.
At the end of the day it is your choice.....

Garfs
23rd Jan 2012, 16:05
If you were to follow your head then I'd say no, follow ur heart, then yes.

I left a well paid job and did my CPL in Australia and was lucky enough to pick up work soon after my CPL. Showing your face always helps, I remember the base manager of one place in particular (I believe the most busy helipad in the country) telling me that out of every 100 CV's or so only one or two showed their face.

I was on crappy pay, worked long hours, but I was (and still am) single with no commitments so was having a ball, coz I was being paid to fly helicopters, something I love. It made up for all the ****ty moments. I was in the outback, meeting various Euro backpacker girls coming through and working in the pub in my spare time to earn my keep. Had an absolute ball.

Financially I was not well of at all, but I didnt really care at the time. You are very young so I'd say if its in your heart, go for it. If after a 7-8 yrs it hasnt worked out, you will still be young (25 ish) and have time to go for something else.

I am very fortunate to have secured a well paid job now and am will be sent for my IR then TR on a twin soon all going well, fully paid for by the company. If I didnt try, I would still be dreaming. I realise not everyone will have the same luck I have had to date, but if you dont try u dont know, and you have age on your side.

All the best with your decision.

Devil 49
23rd Jan 2012, 16:06
If you want big bucks, security, celebrity, and a life of ease, the helicopter pilot's life isn't your best bet.

If you want an excuse not to do it, there are plenty of very well founded arguments against the effort- years to qualify for long hours, low pay, and remote work sites. If you absolutely and positively have to do IT, if you must at least make an attempt to be a helicopter pilot- welcome to the club. You might fill my seat in a few years: someone will.

Camp Freddie
23rd Jan 2012, 17:19
I have done mil / charter / police / EMS in my time and the most rewarding was the Mil without question
My don't go there list:
Crappy jobs which are repetitive: Oil rigs/Instructing civvies/wire surveys.
Crappy helicopters: single engine pistons.
Crappy bosses.

I get the feeling that you think that what you have done yourself is good, and what you haven't done is crap, not correct I think

soggyboxers
23rd Jan 2012, 18:42
In my opinion, being a helicopter pilot has never been about financial worth. If that's what you want, give up your dream now. However, if worth to you means something which is desirable or personally valuable, then, yes it's worth it. For me flying has only ever been about the fun of flying. Maybe I have a low boredom threshold and that's why I've done many things for many employers and I've enjoyed them all. When I was still able to fly, I don't remember a day when I woke up and didn't look forward to flying. I never did a day's 'work' in my life: I just got paid a pretty good salary for going out and having fun every day. It's something for which you're paid a good deal more than the average worker in most cases, but less than most financiers or lawyers, but you don't actually need to be nearly as bright as they are to be a pilot ;) . I've never left one job for another for financial reasons: for me it was never about the money, only the interest, the fun or the love of a new challenge. Everything I've ever done has at some time been enjoyable and rarely boring, even when it appeared to be repetitive. Follow your love of flying, follow your need for adventure, forget following money and like me you'll end up old and poor but with such fantastic memories - that's what being a helicopter pilot is imho :ok:

Thomas coupling
23rd Jan 2012, 20:26
Camp Freddie - stick to the thread. Don't be a di#k.
You are assuming again...tut tut.

Camp Freddie
23rd Jan 2012, 20:51
TC - I think the readers can judge for themselves who sounds like a di#k.

I would say that describing many of the rotary jobs out there, including the ones that have the most pilots doing them and the biggest salaries as crappy, is unhelpful to the thread originator.

Jet Ranger
23rd Jan 2012, 22:16
It´s not about the money :=

JR:ok:

fuel2noise
23rd Jan 2012, 23:03
Very well said TC. I agree with every word in your original post. BZ

HueyDog
24th Jan 2012, 02:46
If you want to be a helicopter pilot and want to follow Thomas coupling's guidance then don't plan to ever make any money. That is unless your daddy owns a helicopter business. For the rest of us we do our time in the jobs that are available and build hours. There is money to be made in the helicopter business but starting out in piston singles, teaching students and working repetitive routes is the path that most of us have to take to pay the bills.

havick
24th Jan 2012, 03:01
Even the higher paying jobs (ie B412 circa $150k) can be repetitive/boring. Every flying job in the end is just a job, I still enjoy flying but I enjoy my lifestyle outside of flying more these days.

Urshtnme
24th Jan 2012, 09:22
If you're doing it for the money, find another vocation.

If you're doing because you love aviation, love to fly, want to achieve a personal goal and don't want to live with any regrets, then go for it!!!!

It took me many, many years to fulfil my dreams of being able to fly helicopters and even though I'm not yet employed, I love the fact that I've achieved it and that I have the capability to just do it!

Let fate do it's think, you never know where you might end up!

Pandalet
24th Jan 2012, 10:09
If you have to ask, "is it worth it?", then it probably isn't. If you know that what you want to do is fly helicopters, and everything else is secondary to that, then why are you asking the question? Only you can answer it.

HueyDog
24th Jan 2012, 11:21
Pandalet is exactly right, do it only if you just want to fly helicopters. Personally, I feel that is the case in all career fields. As a helicopter pilot you may have some crap jobs and you may find some great ones as you go along. You will also meet some crap people to work with during your career and you will also find some great lifelong friends. You should just do what you love to do and let the rest sort itself out.

JimBall
24th Jan 2012, 12:26
Please don't get disheartened by the negativity shown by some here. There are some crusty old cynics around who fly very little and do shifts of chip-sucking.
Piston-singles are the life-blood of the helicopter industry and the advent of the 44 has created more jobs in the past decade.
There are many pilots who make a good living from flying R44s and do hundreds of hours a year in them. Don't look in the obvious places for your employment. Be smarter. Sniff out the unusual and the challenging.
Be presentable, be personable, always think about the client. Smile. And ensure your skills are, of course, top-notch.
Very best of luck.
If you want it, you'll get it.

ec135driver
24th Jan 2012, 14:24
Can't resist my 2 cents worth:

Helicopter flying is absolutely the best thing I have ever done, workwise. Actually its difficult to think of it as work, but I get paid so technically it is.

I joined HM RN the same course as Thomas Coupling and I have to say I think he is being a bit shortsighted. I never made it to flying in the Military so I can't say anything negative about it (that of course does not stop TC being negative about flying he has never done but........c'est la vie)

Some of my best moments have been teaching civvies (like me) to fly piston singles, like the 14 your old that could hover as soon as he touched the controls - amazing natural skill. Or taking an R22 to 12,500' over the Arizona desert and being very very careful how I managed the RRPM. Its a skill every bit as challenging as flying a SK at 100' over the water on NVG.

Now I have flown Corporate, HEMS, Police, USL, winching, singles, twins, piston, turbine, I teach, examine and learn. Did my first ever NVG flight only 10 days ago.

Has it been worth it? very definitely.
Has it been financially worth it? what else would I spent my money on and how many days would I have spent sitting in an office wishing I was a helicopter pilot?

Thomas coupling
25th Jan 2012, 09:06
PC you little tinker!
You got chopped from the RN probably because you couldnt swim across the River Dart every morning at 5am because of the stones I put in your wellies:eek:
There you go telling me I shouldn't comment on what I haven't done and then go and quote about flying at 100' in a SK on NVG??? Eh? When did you do that then?
One doesn't have to be an astronaut to know instinctively that it's a fantastic job. One doesn't have to to go to The Maldives to know it's going to be good.
One doesn't have to do a wire survey to know it's a sh*t job.
One doesn't have to fly single pistons to know it's not as good as flying twin turbine's.
Give us a break you old fart and best wishes for doing a good job in the HEMS/Police world. PS: I half expected you to go for the NPAS job...where were you when we needed you?

floatsarmed
1st Feb 2012, 10:10
Ryan,

Is being a helicopter pilot worth it...Yes.

Should you do it straight away...No.

By that I mean don't worry about getting into the Australian Heli industry too quickly. It can be a cut throat and harsh place with a fairly hard road to get to the 'best' jobs. What everyones 'best' job is is a matter of preference. Some people love chasing cows, some instructing (weirdos), some offshore and some HEMS. There is also the Australian Army and Navy option with uni thrown in.

My advice, concentrate on getting the best yr 12 results you can and then have a good look at what further education (uni) is open to you. Your views on career paths and life priorities will change as you get older so don't limit your long term options by putting all your efforts into the one idea of becoming a pilot.

I've been around helis for about 25 years now, military, civil, onshore and off and even though I still enjoy the experience of flying it is just a job and as such my time off is far more valuable.

Having invested these 'pearls of wisdom' with you it may all be for nothing as you could be one of the dyed in the wool aviation perverts (aerosexuals) that occasionally enhabit this site. they are easily identified as such by the fact that have obviously spent their entire working lives doing nothing but living for flying itself. Unfortunately, when their time comes to retire, as it does for everyone, they realise they have very little else that they are interested in and then find themselves in a huge void. Bit sad really.

If after getting as solid an education as you can and you still have the flying bug REALLY badly then get on the bottom rung of the ladder (normally some form of hangar rat) and start climbing. Some times it can be a hard climb and sometimes easy. Some people even fall off the ladder completely and never get back onto it. Talk to the right people and avoid the tossers if you can. The Gold Coast is knee deep in chopper pilots so you shouldn't have too much trouble finding some good guys and also quite a few tossers. ;)

Think about the big picture mate it's a big world outside the cockpit. Good luck. :ok:

topendtorque
2nd Feb 2012, 20:40
The thing is there are far more helicopters around than ever before and their breeding % seems better than a rabbit factory. Someone told me that there is probably as many heli-pilots in the world now as there are people living in Chicago.

Whether we all have the same fascination for bank robbery and Thompson machine guns is sometimes a debateable subject. I say go for it.

Rdog
3rd Feb 2012, 10:28
Wow, I'm astonished by the huge amount of responses and views.

Thanks everyone, Thank you all so very very much! All of you made things alot clearer for me. Aswell I've shared this thread to almost everyone I know interested so more people can benefit from this!

In regards to doing something else before helicopters, Sure have. I'm starting a Pre uni course in YR12 now for small business, then after that I'm going to do a 3 year course in Business/IT in Uni. (all paid by the Australian government! :D)

But I know for sure flying helicopters will always beat owning a business. My DREAM is to fly helicopters for tourists in snow covered areas. Like dropping off the pros at the summit of a mountain. Or simply flying tourist around, surrounded by those graceful white giants.

I now understand it is going to be tuff getting there. But I would do anything to talk to somebody who has experience in this type of flying. Asking how can I get there? whats something you would do instead to make it getting there easier? How much experience is requited? and is it good enough pay to just have the single job?

To answer some more questions, I am a hanger rat for helibiz (the largest helicopter training company cold coast)

So yes, I'm certainly going to go through with this! At least I know what I'm going to be hit with, and now I have ALOT of great ideas and tactics to help me more so.

and again, thank you guys so much. As I've learnt so much!

afzrotor
5th Feb 2012, 23:43
My friend asked me to talk to her niece about becoming a pilot (Helicopter) and the first thing I asked the niece was,"when an aeroplane or helicopter passes by overhead, do you look up?" She looked at me in complete confusion and said,"no". My reply was,"well, that is your first clue!" My point is that you will seldom see a pilot not look up to check what it is, even if it is just a quick look and that indicates excitement and passion for flying. We just cannot help but look up, it is the natural thing. Money is not the motivator at all!

You have to have the passion for it...period! If you forsake the military, then you are giving yourself a tough path to follow financially. But,if ,like me, you had no money to start, then the military is the poor man's leg up in life. You can use it wisely and equip yourself with the necessary skills to pursue that dream! I miss my military time. It was a time full of comraderie and pride and it focuses your mind somewhat. People these days avoid potential failure or hardship, but as a helicopter pilot you need to be prepared for it as it is not a path for the faint hearted. And as you live in Australia, let me tell you that there is no excuse not to be a pilot. However, you may have to choose a path that is initially,not of your liking. But the end is what you have to look at!

Just so you know, I was trained in the Zimbabwean military and was the only "white" guy on my course and i received a good base from them. I went on to fly in the tourist industry and then moved to Canada and have flown in almost every province and territory as well as the Caribbean. So, if I, a poor white guy from Africa can do it, then there is no reason for you to fail. You just have to the chuztpah to go for it and ignore all the naysayers. And you know what, if you fail, so what. You tried and that is more than so many people do these days, don't be scared of failure. After all, success is getting up one more time than you fell down. Good luck with your career choice!!

Here is a link to show you that failure is not the end. You will be surpised at how much one can overcome!

Famous Failures – Abraham Lincoln, Michael Jordan and More (http://sidsavara.com/personal-development/famous-failures-michael-jordan-abraham-lincoln-and-jk-rowling)

kraznyoctbyar
9th Jul 2013, 13:35
afzrotor,

Nicely said. Cheers !

Hairyplane
13th Jul 2013, 09:49
You get one shot at this life. Also consider choosing a career that could lead to a far greater income potential than working for somebody else.

You might then ultimately achieve your own personal machine and fly purely when you want to. Terrific fun always and never a chore.

Flying helicopters commercially sounds great but as the highly experienced contributors on this forum point out, you might end up with a flying job you really don't like, and earning cr@p money.

Your own machine, in your own hangar at home is an amazing privilege. Set yourself that target instead?!

Just my ten pen'orth.;)

HP

Anthony Supplebottom
13th Jul 2013, 10:03
Is it really worth being a helicopter pilot now?

Depends what you're in it for.

SASless
13th Jul 2013, 13:12
It almost beats being on the Dole....alas the hours are not as good although on some jobs the pay is about comparable.

Semi Rigid
14th Jul 2013, 00:28
"develop a certain type of outgoing personality, in the military!"
Put the crack pipe down gnow.

Evil Twin
14th Jul 2013, 15:03
"Find something you love doing and get someone to pay you for it, you'll never work a day in your life."

Becoming a pilot is full of ups and downs, good times and bad, but it sure beats the h3ll out of working for a living.

allwornout
20th Apr 2014, 04:03
Don't do it. Helicopter jobs all begin where the road ends. That means if you want to make any cash at all, you'll have to be somewhere like a camp in Nigeria, Bangladesh, Papua New Guinea, or somewhere like that. The jobs in nice cities don't pay and those cities are expensive to live in. Jobs are infrequent and cyclical. You can go 1 1/2 years looking for work with lots of experience. The "love" wears off after a while. Once you've done any job for a year, you have no more challenge and its the same old thing so don't kid yourself about love. Get into something with a good future from a university degree. Make good money. Buy yourself something to fly around in the weekends in. You'll be a lot happier when you reach 65.

ImDave
20th Apr 2014, 07:30
During the past twenty years I've flown law enforcement in MD500's/530's/407's and fire fighting/rescue in 205's. Now that I'm retired I'm doing primary instruction in 300C's. Each are rewarding in their own ways and neither are making me rich. However, people are alive today due to something my crew and I did and I'm now helping people achieve their dream of becoming helicopter pilots. Some may think I'm daft but some of my fondest memories revolve around helicopters.

Hughes500
20th Apr 2014, 17:49
Tc

Not sure that flying a piston is less rewarding than a twin turbine ! Best fun is EOL's in training, bet you don't do too many in your twin turbine. Flown 355's A109's Puma's quite frankly a 341 or a 500 are far more fun to fly !!!!!

SimonK
20th Apr 2014, 18:23
I've done the military (17yrs) and currently working the North Sea for Oil & Gas. Both are great jobs and enjoyable/challenging in different ways. There is a huge amount of bolleaux :ugh: spouted about working the North Sea (including by some notable, or not so, posters on here) and from the perspective of someone who is doing it right now, rather than someone who has never flown here, it's a damn good job with far more upsides than downsides.

Don't let the naysayers and bitter old twunts put you off. Just about any job in aviation beats sitting in an office somewhere wishing you had got that CPL after all :)

diginagain
20th Apr 2014, 18:33
Horses for courses. I had 18 years in mil aviation, now I work for six months of the year and have the likes of SimonK in his rubber bag as my chauffeur. It isn't so much the job, but what you get out of life as a result of that job.

homonculus
20th Apr 2014, 18:50
When I was at school all I wanted was to become a pilot. The long and short was my father refused to let me do a scholarship with BA and I had to do medicine.

I am now in a job that pays far more than flying, does not require a medical, and everyone I know who isnt a pilot says how right my father was. I have even been able to fly rotary.

Given the chance again, I would fly without any hesitation, and not a day goes by when I wouldn't give up everything to fly full time.

If you believe you would feel the same, go fly. If you have doubts dont. flying for a career is about passion over common sense. And yes I look up every time I hear a plane

Rdog
21st Apr 2014, 08:37
Hey, Original poster here. And Wow. I'm Surprised this thread is still going after all those years. There were some really helpful comments in this thread that really made me comfortable in deciding not to pursue piloting as a career. I think It took me about a month or so after I created this thread that I decided it would be a decision I would regret pursuing a career in Aviation. Sadly most of you guys are right. Excluding the military, there's just way too much personal and financial sacrifice/risk to make piloting helicopters a good career choice. Which is a shame, but sticking true to my passion I do fly fixed wing aircraft when I can afford to.

I've shared this thread to friends of mine that wanted to pursue a career in Aviation. I Was surprised how many of them didn't really understand what it would take for them to get to their dream job in aviation. Some of them also decided to focus on something else instead, some of them are still sticking to it today.

thanks for all of those who shared their experiences and all the helpful comments again. Going to be a few less jobless pilots thanks to this thread ;). I'm still pursuing my business career. Right now I'm just about getting started in studying in business school.

2leftskids
23rd Apr 2014, 16:21
Flying helicopters for a living is like crack addiction.

Despite all the good advice from people not to you try it anyway and that first experience is just like you had always imagined only better. The next couple of years disappear in a black hole of experimentation whilst also losing your house, all your possessions and most of your friends. Ten years later you wake up broke, morally bankrupt and miserable in a strange place where you can't speak the language. You are surrounded by people who are just like you all talking about how they are going to get out of the life and start fresh but never actually doing anything about it with the only consolation being that if they are not as f%&ked up as you then they are not far behind.

Washeduprotorgypsy
24th Apr 2014, 02:14
Bwaaah! Love it 2leftskids. Funny cuz it's true.

I'm sick of the "never work a day in your life", "gosh gee whiz I can't believe I get paid to fly a helicopter" Pollyanna crap regurgitated by those with financial interests in the helicopter training industry.

Good to see some acknowledgement of the social toll the mercenary drive to compete and achieve in the industry can take on ones life.

Evil Twin
24th Apr 2014, 09:50
Yeah mate I have massive financial interest in the helicopter training industry, muppet!

Before you start with the Pollyanna insults pal you should try asking a few questions. I spent 20 years in a job I hated because I believed the hype and chased the rainbows. Luckily for me I had a career ending accident and retrained to be a helicopter pilot. Now I fly for a living and even on the 5hit days it's better than pushing a broom or sitting in my tin coffin for 4 hrs a days to get to the job I hated.

So up yours mate! Flying is better than working for a living yes it is like a crack addiction but I still get up every morning and go to work glad I'm going to be flying

Washeduprotorgypsy
24th Apr 2014, 19:14
Good day ET,

You seem a little testy for a man experiencing the freedom and serenity of never having to work another day in his life. Perhaps more the composure of a buckin bronc with his nuts in a wrap?

Yup all the kids and onlookers should know that will be the likely plight they are in as a helicopter pilot paying the bills. Get used to being a YES man as there are legions of up and comers willing to take your job and very few options to escape poor employment conditions. A muppet being led around by the desire to quench an addiction. Let's just hope you don't have too many dependants.....Get used to having the political power of a gnat in a hurricane.

Now about chasing rainbows and carrots and things that are shiny and flitter , NO, NO that never happens in the helicopter industry. Bwaaaah!!!!!

Grab that broom and look busy.

Evil Twin
24th Apr 2014, 22:59
As I suspected, just another troll

Baldrick110
29th Jul 2014, 01:00
Here's a new perspective. I'm 51, in a stable very well paid government job but hate it. It's stressful, boring and I have to deal with idiots all day.

I'm financially set up to the point where I almost don't have to work any more and could retire in about 7 years.

I have loved flying all my life and am currently undertaking a fixed wing PPL. I am very very tempted to drop everything and take up flying helicopters for a living. I'm not really too concerned about the dollars but would like to achieve something meaningful before being forced to retire. I'm healthy enough to work till 70 and would do that if it was something I enjoyed. Question is - is it worth pursuing at my age?

And noone has actually mentioned - how much does the average chopper pilot earn??

Apologies for the hijack.

palacio802
29th Jul 2014, 09:34
And here's another perspective... I'm an ex-military pilot with 2.000 hours in Superpuma an I'm looking for a job and all I have found is the following:

- Companys looking for AW139 type rated pilots (who can pay an AW139 t/r??!!!).
- Companys that NEVER reply to an application.
- Flight Academys saying that if you take this or that course, you'll be hired. But it never happens...
- Countries with hundreds of job positions and making every effort to avoid people from abroad to apply for them.

Self-explanatory.

paco
29th Jul 2014, 09:51
Baldrick - roughly £40K, give or take.

Phil

terminus mos
29th Jul 2014, 11:31
Baldrick,

To get a helicopter CPL and enough hours to be employable, it may take you another 3 years. Although not allowed to be ageist, most larger companies may not be prepared to invest in your training which could limit your ability to achieve.

I would take the retirement option unless you can afford to do a helicopter CPL and then not work much?

GoodGrief
29th Jul 2014, 12:08
And there's the age 60 rule in many countries.

Boudreaux Bob
29th Jul 2014, 13:07
Baldy,

My Two Cents worth of advice.

Stay at your miserable job but find yourself a really nice Glider, get stuck in doing that kind of flying, enjoy every minute of it, do your PPL and rent an airplane when you want, maybe even get to towing Gliders when you are able to do so.

At age 51, you would be throwing good money after bad to start a career flying Helicopters for a Living.

If you think your current job is stressful and requires you to deal with Idiots, I can assure you launching off into a new career flying helicopters professionally will just be the same but with far less pay and benefits than you have now.

Live your passion but do it in a manner that you fly when you want to, where you want to, with the people you want to do it with, in the weather you want to do it in, be your own Boss while doing it. You will be much happier in the long run.

ShyTorque
29th Jul 2014, 13:22
I agree with BB. if you had tried to change tack even ten years younger it would be risky. You are likely to find yourself in similar circumstances but a lot poorer than you thought.

fluffy5
30th Jul 2014, 03:01
Baldrick110. I would like to say if you want to fly helicopters then do it. EXCEPT keep working in your day to day job. Fly helicopters at the weekend and slowly over the years get your ppl, cpl and then flight instructor. Still keep working in your day to day job and at the weekend go and be a flight instructor, it may take a good few years to do, but you will still have a steady income and enjoy your weekends with an end goal in sight. Also when you decide to retire from your job, you will be able to instruct for a bit of income.

Fluffy

Baldrick110
30th Jul 2014, 04:58
Thanks everyone for the replies. You are pretty much telling me what I know in the back of my mind anyway.

One thing that made me wonder - I have worked in the Antarctic a few times and always been jealous of the chopper pilots who fly down there. Last time I was there they had trouble finding anyone, we had pilots from NZ, Canada, all old blokes (older than me)! :)

Ascend Charlie
30th Jul 2014, 07:53
Baldrick, I have stopped flying after 45 years of it. Reason? I got sick of dealing with d1ckhead students and demanding bosses and having to make decisions about weather, alternates, fuel, recency, serviceability, health, fitness, blah bluddy blah but I still miss the money. Grumpy old blokes make a reasonable living these days, not like I had to put up with until about 2001. If you are about 40 now with around 6000 hrs, you have to opportunity to put away enough to properly retire.

The best path for you is: suck it up, stay in the well-paying job. Make a bucket of money, then tell them to stick it.

Fly for fun. Enjoy it. But you are most likely too old to get the experience necessary to become a commercial pilot and get a well-paying job before you hit 60, and your health will then start playing a larger part in the overall scheme of things.:sad:

mnvicky23
17th Mar 2015, 06:07
Hi Elder Brethren
I am a retired Indian naval helicopter pilot with 1900 hours of flying (600+ deck landings). I am 34 years old. I am looking for job opportunities. Which is the best country to aim for to pursue my aviation career.... Please give some information in this regard.

FlyGooseFly!
17th Mar 2015, 23:29
This thread has been somewhat of an eyeopener for me - as I quite like flying and have been drawn to the rotary side of things simply because of the "land anywhere" capabilities ( don't jump on me for that one as I'm well aware of the rules against). The trouble with me is - that I "like" quite a lot of things and I feel what we are dealing with here is PASSION!

As others have said - if you find yourself NOT doing all the #hi##y stuff, hangar cleaning, long hours,low or no pay for years just for the chance to feel the disc lift off with YOU in control...... then it's not for you. I reckon the same could be said for other callings too for I never have understood folk who say they hate the job they do or just tolerate it for the sake of the money.

Suffice it to say that despite seeing normal retirement age fly passed a few years back I never did continue with my 2 hours tuition on the R22 but have accumulated 25,000 sitting on various horses and at least 17,000 of them on one particularly amazing beast - and I can honestly say that even though some of jobs around horses are deep in do-do - I used to go to my mare like a kid let out of school. And whereas most folk will let you get away with talking to a horse ( mine understood every word, of course!) a helicopter will only ever be a machine - even if a rather capricous one.

Dennis Kenyon
19th Mar 2015, 10:31
As the original thread is gently running out of steam ... I'd like to close with my pennorth, and add a few personal words of encouragement and actuality for industry newcomers.

Helicopter aviation isn't all bad ... (in fact for 95% of the time it is unbelievably good) and, as already mentioned here, to any young guy or gal who cannot resist 'looking up' when there's an aircraft passing overhead ... I'd say "do whatever becomes necessary to earn your living in the air." Being an ex-Royal Air Force fast jet man. Meteor, Vampire, Hunter, Canberra, Valiant and even Avro's trusty old Lincoln ... I joined civilian aviation in 1970 where to date, I've managed around 75 fixed wing types and 33 helicopters. (and for TC, quite a few with a useless second engine!) Coat at the ready!

Over a 45-year period. I flew helicopter sales demonstration, Air taxi, crop spraying, aerial photography and feature film work, police work, power and pipeline inspection AND best of all: flying training as an FI and examiner and as a display pilot. Through those years, I managed some 3,500 hours in fixed wing plus another 14,500 hours rotary. On the debit side, and as many will know, I sadly experienced an horrendous family loss.

As a COF*, and as many Pruners will know, 2015 will see me past my 83rd birthday. But just five months ago, I was invited to display an MD530F at an air show in South Africa. There, I was surrounded by the nicest and most dedicated bunch of aviation people it has been my pleasure to meet. Having flown three or four display sorties a day ... at the end of the week before my BA flight home, I sat down in my hotel room and wrote the following in my diary. "I think this week has been the most enjoyable ... the most satisfying and the most rewarding, (not financial) of my flying career."

Five months later, I haven't changed a word. That sort of experience is worth diamonds.

On this forum, newcomers will find an unparalleled cross-section of aviation experience. rotary and fixed wing. (Someone should produce the total flying hours ... double figure millions perhaps) I've so enjoyed taking on board their personal and often contentious views. It seems to me we have a great industry, chock full of knowledgeable, highly experienced and mostly charismatic helicopter pilots you'll be proud to enter. Yes, it IS a difficult club to join and not always properly rewarded, but I've lost count of the number of youngsters who've approached me in the past for career guidance ... and who are now whisking about, 2000 feet above me in the latest S-76s and AW-139s. And has been said elsewhere ... my flying gloves have to be hung up at some time. Another vacancy along with the other COFs. Good luck to all you guys. (M & F) Jump in, the water's fine. Dennis K.

* Crusty Old Fart.