PDA

View Full Version : Working in Thailand

cen7at
22nd Jan 2012, 21:02
Hi
I am considering taking up a position in Nakhon Si Thammarat, Thailand. Just hoping to find out a bit more about the place. Have any of you worked there or are working there at the moment? Would it be suitable for relocating a young family? Is there much in the way of activities for toddlers? Are there many expat families out there?
Thanks for your help.

inputshaft
22nd Jan 2012, 21:37
If it's with CHC, drop an email to the Base Manager and I'm sure either he or one of the guys working there will be happy to answer your questions. Some folks do try to merge family with CHC touring, so there's no harm asking, but it's pretty uncommon in most places we work.

Even in Thailand, most Oil and Gas towns aren't the nicest places.

helimutt
22nd Jan 2012, 21:41
http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/449174-two-chc-security-guards-murdered.html

I know a few people working there/worked there. if it's for the company i'm thinking of, you'll do a fair amount of flying, approx 120 hours in 6 weeks.
The guys I know there are good guys. i've heard the stories, read the reports, but I don't reckon it's any more dangerous than any other places you could work.

oldpax
23rd Jan 2012, 00:16
I have lived here for 14 years near Pattaya or Soddom and Gommorah by the sea!There is a good forum that will answer all your questions .Go to "Thai visa forum"and you will find all you need to know.

coolhand110
23rd Jan 2012, 04:11
I am currently working out of that base. There is really not much for families to do here. An extremely small amount of expats in the entire area. I do not believe that there is much for International schools here. The town is about 15 minutes away from the airport, and our compound is close to an hour away from town. It is a very busy place to work. You can expect to fly 38 out of 42 days with nights been manned from the hanger. We are currently operating 7 76C++'s with one more on it's way. The area seems to be prone to flooding, we have been evacuated twice in the first year of operations.

If you have any specific questions you need answered, just PM me and I will try to answer them.

bb in ca
23rd Jan 2012, 04:53
If people are leaving there's probably a good reason.

Dirkster
23rd Jan 2012, 08:35
Just out of curiosity what are the minimums and what license is required? I would love to work there.

inputshaft
23rd Jan 2012, 11:24
Normal CHC International Touring Captain requirements. They should be in recent job ads.

ka26
1st Apr 2013, 10:49
Hello everyone,

I would like to have some information about flying/working in Thailand, especially salary ranges for pilots (tour, filming, charter), medical insurance, living costs. License convertion / validation, which is the procedure? I'm holding a JAA license.

Thank you

Savoia
1st Apr 2013, 11:35
Ka26: Try reading these for now:

http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/475028-working-thailand.html

http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/351288-chc-thailand.html

ka26
2nd Apr 2013, 10:49
Thank you Savoia! Any other experiences?

flightfollower
12th Apr 2013, 13:08
Hi All, I heard a Thai company is looking for AW 139 Pilots currently. does any one for info on this position?