PDA

View Full Version : New 2012 ATPL Syllabus 2012

SkillsToBurn
22nd Jan 2012, 12:19
Hi everyone,

I am Currently Studying for my ATPL Exams with Bristol GS, Via Distance Learning. I have however heard rumours of there being some sort of new atpl syllabus for 2012! Does this mean that the Bristol ATPL Question bank is, shall we say no longer usfull, as they have to add all the new question etc? Could Someone shed some more light on this matter. Many thanks.

pudoc
22nd Jan 2012, 13:02
I'm with BGS atm. Use QB V2 and V3. Read the reports on their forum from new syllabus students comparing exams to the QB. Apparently M&B is more theoretical now.

Don't rely on QB, use it to asses your weak areas. I don't think the syllabus has changed too much, the QB is still a useful tool.

Depending on when you started you might still be on the old syllabus which is fine until April. When I started the course they told me what syllabus I was on the new one, you seem quite surprised about it so perhaps you're on the old one still?

TheInquisitor
22nd Jan 2012, 13:13
I'm also with Bristol GS, started last week. Still trying to determine which syllabus I'm on. I asked the question, but didn't get a clear answer. This might be a dumb question, but how do you tell which syllabus you're studying?

Dick Whittingham
22nd Jan 2012, 13:32
E-mail [email protected]

SkillsToBurn
22nd Jan 2012, 13:40
As Far as I am aware The new system is call the EASA ATPL System. Where new question have been added to the current ATPL QB. However I have heard that EASA dont have enough funds to create their own QB so they are still relying on the old system! Good Question Inquisitor (http://www.pprune.org/members/102749-theinquisitor)! I just dont want to go into the exam having used the old System then gettin a massive shock with all these new question that I havent seen before, IF THATS THE CASE IN POINT!

BUGS/BEARINGS/BOXES
22nd Jan 2012, 14:09
The UK CAA have a dispensation from EASA to create their own questions for use in their printed exam papers. Various legal issues as to who, if anyone, owns the central QB. Hopefully the results in exams will start to show the 'real' result of an individual's attempt at the exams. Airlines are accutly aware of the QBs out there and some students 'over reliance' on them.

TheInquisitor
22nd Jan 2012, 17:27
I'm not concerned about the QBs to be honest as I have no intention of using them. Learning the answers to questions by rote is, frankly, cheating yourself and is also likely to bite you on the @rse come hiring time. I'd rather have the knowledge to pass the exams.

My question only concerned the syllabus I am currently studying.

SkillsToBurn
22nd Jan 2012, 23:06
TheInquisitor (http://www.pprune.org/members/102749-theinquisitor)!! The QB is obviously there for a reason. Its a helpful tool that should be used. Its obviously been designed to aid in part of the syllabus. Besides I dont think Airlines Hire smart Asses.

If anyone else can help me distinguish the difference between the 2 ATPL syllabuses that would be much appreciated.

TheInquisitor
23rd Jan 2012, 00:34
Sorry, that reply of mine came off a little harshly, having re-read it!

Yes, I agree a QB has it's obvious uses, but as intimated by an earlier poster it can be too tempting for some to over-rely on it, hence why I'm staying away from them for the time being at least.

There doesn't appear to be much info available out there right now regarding the syllabus differences, at least any that I can find.

SCOTTYBOY11
24th Jan 2012, 12:34
I have just sat AGK RNAV and Instruments. What can I say. These were the new syllabus papers (which you have to sit now) all old syllabus exams must be finished by May so If your starting your exams now, you must sit new syllabus.

In terms of the exams, I was left very frustrated with some questions. In the RNaV exam, there was a plotting question (GNAV) which no1 has seemed to mention :s . The databases I used were CATS and Bristol. Both were not sufficient at all in helping learn the material for these exams. I have done a full time learning course and had never come across a lot of the material used in the new syllabus paper.
I do know the material (inquisitor) I have been taught and was getting high marks in these databases but when it came to the exams a lot of the questions may as well have been in Chinese! After finishing the exams I heard about Aviation Exam, an app you can buy for your apple or android devices. After reviewing the material, it was all almost directly the same as what was in the exams! Obviously other QB's have still to be updated whereas this app seems to be helpful ( wish I got it before exams) I also agree with inquisitor that you must know the material, but when so much money is riding on these results, I advise you do whatever you can to get the best mark you can. These questions wouldn't be readily available if it was 'cheating' but I do agree you must have good knowledge of the subject to back it up.

1 more point, the exam hall was split in half, old syllabus at front, new syllabus at back. The whole of the front had emptied in half the time the back took. Anyone who doesnt think there are differences between these exams are wrong. Why else would they make a 'new' syllabus.

ChriSat
24th Jan 2012, 15:29
I have just sat AGK RNAV and Instruments. What can I say. These were the new syllabus papers (which you have to sit now) all old syllabus exams must be finished by May so If your starting your exams now, you must sit new syllabus.

In terms of the exams, I was left very frustrated with some questions. In the RNaV exam, there was a plotting question (GNAV) which no1 has seemed to mention :s . The databases I used were CATS and Bristol. Both were not sufficient at all in helping learn the material for these exams. I have done a full time learning course and had never come across a lot of the material used in the new syllabus paper.
I do know the material (inquisitor) I have been taught and was getting high marks in these databases but when it came to the exams a lot of the questions may as well have been in Chinese! After finishing the exams I heard about Aviation Exam, an app you can buy for your apple or android devices. After reviewing the material, it was all almost directly the same as what was in the exams! Obviously other QB's have still to be updated whereas this app seems to be helpful ( wish I got it before exams) I also agree with inquisitor that you must know the material, but when so much money is riding on these results, I advise you do whatever you can to get the best mark you can. These questions wouldn't be readily available if it was 'cheating' but I do agree you must have good knowledge of the subject to back it up.

1 more point, the exam hall was split in half, old syllabus at front, new syllabus at back. The whole of the front had emptied in half the time the back took. Anyone who doesnt think there are differences between these exams are wrong. Why else would they make a 'new' syllabus. I find it hard to believe that an Android/iPhone app is more comprehensive than Bristols extensive database and feedback mechanism. From what I've read the CAA now have permission from EASA to make their own questions up, which if anything should make the database better as they will be written in English rather than translated; and also more CQB15 v3 questions will appear in the exams... also, from what I've read, this is as long term roll out and at most only a small percent of the questions in each exam will be new, (which is the way its always been?).. I doubt they have the resources or desire to add a totally new set of questions for each subject every month; Although I'll find out for myself next month as i'm registered for 7 new syllabus exams. :}

The feedback on the atpforum about the new syllabus exams, (apart from the impossible Nov/11 Performance exam, which everyone got free resits for anyway) is very positive and I don't think people sitting new syllabus exams are at any significant disadvantage, if anything by the looks of it the new syllabus is leaner, the NPA25 learning objectives are slightly more up to date, more focused with less overlapping of the material, less questions, and shorter exams.

:)

student88
24th Jan 2012, 16:05
Luckily I passed all my ATPL exams last year, however if they're looking to improve peoples knowledge of the subjects, surely they must start by removing all the out-of-date subjects and bring the syllabus in line with 2012 technology which we use day in, day out.

helujian
24th Sep 2012, 13:12
i want to get the atpl Test syllabus to prepare the exam!

cefey
24th Sep 2012, 19:36
I remember we had M&B exam.
Avg in our class on "old" syllabus was about 85%, while on new it was under 50% and highest score was 67% for 2 people. No one in the "whole world", passed that one exam :p They gave us a re-sit, but still...

Anyway, if you thinking just "bristoling" everything, you might get screwed big time. Few mistakes + new questions = fail.

If you study and using bristol as aid, you will be fine.

RVR800
28th Sep 2012, 13:02
Its that Michael Gove fellow at it again...

We need to achieve the same level of ATPL performance as in Singapore we are slipping down the league tables:*