PDA

View Full Version : From Military to Civilian Avionics (how to do it?)

Av Ondy
21st Jan 2012, 11:33
Good day gentlemen.

This has probably been asked a few dozen times on here so apologise if its somewhat of a worn topic, but if you could take a little time to read my this and hopefully shed some light on what seems like a very confusing subject then id be quite grateful.

Anyway onto the subject...

Im currently serving in the Army (Avionics Class 2 Technician) working on the Apache and recently acquired my NVQ 3 in Engineering Maintenance but as im aware this means absolute bugger all in terms of transferring to Civilian Avionics. It will take a great deal longer to gain the civilian equivalent qualifications and the army no longer offers a degree as your career progresses, on top of that i really want to work on fixed wing instead on rotary.

Hence my questions are?

What can i do now, that can begin my transition to fixed wing civilian avionics?
What courses/licenses should i study whilst serving my remaining time?
Would it be better to leave ASAP and go to CAA approved school and enrol on BSC Hons etc? Cardiff for example.
Or forget about College/Uni and try to get an apprenticeship instead? :confused:

Any advice or information no matter how basic would be helpful, its really hard to find out on google etc.

Anyway that'll do for now. Thanks in advance gentlemen!

Oh and if you need to ask me questions in return go right ahead, ill check back on this regularly! :ok:

spannersatcx
21st Jan 2012, 13:21
Category B2 applicants who have not attended a
Part-147 approved course of training should have at
least 5 years practical maintenance experience on
operating aircraft. Experienced engineers within the
UK, such as Skilled Workers, Armed Forces, Coast
Guards or Police, may be eligible for a reduction in
experience required (refer to sub-section E4).

From the CAA ELGD (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/177/8355%20Section%20E_07.pdf)

NutLoose
21st Jan 2012, 15:15
I would stay put and work through your licence modules whilst earning a living and secure in a job, I was RAF and left without doing mine, it was an error in a way, but I self studied through the modules and earnt my licences, but at the time jobs were rife and employment opportunities not a problem, at the moment jobs are on the scarce side and the airlines etc have the pick of the crop, the more qualifications you have counts and helps... You can do modules as distant learning if that helps?.

Do not know how they are as have not used them, but these guys do it.

Home - E-learning - The Cardiff and Vale College - International Centre for Aerospace Training (http://www.part66.com/)

But avionics B2 if I am not mistaken is not like the A and C in that it is not specific to rotary or fixed wing unlike my B.1's

See

Category B1 and B2 Licences - The Cardiff and Vale College - International Centre for Aerospace Training (http://www.part66.com/content/public/classroom/Categoryb/default.asp)

Might be wrong there, anyone?

Good luck and ask back with any queries, the EGLD was being reworked in places as they were mucking about with some categories.

Wolfman3415
21st Jan 2012, 16:25
PM Sent

Wolfman

Freddie838
22nd Jan 2012, 10:39
Only go the BSc route if you want a degree. It will not help you to get a job as a "B2" technician. It may help you later on to get a position as a "C" licensed Engineer. Have you signed up for enhanced learning credits? If so use them. Barry College (now known as Cardiff Vale) will do you a reasonable package. Most of the modules are possible as distance learning but for others (6, 7 & 10 for instance) they do run short revision courses. Most of the modules are generic but, if I am remembering correctly, 11 is fixed wing, 12 is helicopters specific and 13 is avionic specific.
If cash and time are not an issue then invest with Lufthansa at Kemble, the downside here is that it is full time studying. Remember you will need to gain experience in the industry to go with your modules (and by the way your module passes are now lifed for 10 years).

STSIFCX.SATIS
22nd Jan 2012, 18:20
(and by the way your module passes are now lifed for 10 years).

When did they change from 5 years? Can't find it on ELGD, & EASA still says 5.

Freddie838
23rd Jan 2012, 09:51
My apologies, I was repeating something that I heard from a colleague. I spoke with the CAA and they said that this has not come into effect yet, but keep watching the website.

Sonic Bam
23rd Jan 2012, 18:16
August 2012, amendment to Part 66 comes into force. A few changes bieng made.

Kengineer-130
26th Jan 2012, 18:06
AV, I recently left the RAF after 12 years, and have done both my B1 & B2 licences, give me a call over the weekend (any time except 12-3 on Saturday) and I will guide you through what I have done, and suggest you do.

I will PM you my number :ok:

bob_zingh
7th Feb 2012, 18:27
Im guessing you are at wattisham. I can try and offer some guidance, having completed modules, gained experience and now licensed, only employers require type rating on the license hence am playing a waiting game!

Kengineer-130
7th Feb 2012, 18:43
What changes Sonic Boom? Any links or info please?

lovegroove
8th Feb 2012, 17:12
I´d also be interested to know about these changes as I only have about 18 months left before my modules start expiring. I´ve had all my modules for my B2 for more than 2 years, but just can´t seem to get out of working military to be able to get the civvie experience that I need. My current contract is too good to leave, but I am acutely aware that at some point soon, I will have to pull my finger out and actively seek civvie work that will get me the experience I need for my licence.

If the expiration really is going up to 10 years then that would be awesome.

Av Ondy
18th Feb 2012, 10:01
Thanks for all the replies, the information in here was exactly what i was looking for and now im going to start planning out my B2 while serving my remaining time and making the most out of the learning credits.

Alot of my mates are wanting to sign off soon, to go off into all kinds of crazy or just plain lazy careers but after all that time studying to get to where we are now just to give it up seems like a waste to me. A bit more hard work to achieve a civvie license is well worth it in my opinion.

I'll definetly research more into LRTT and Cardiff College.

Mikhail Sharpowicz
14th Mar 2012, 19:18
Prob a good idea to have a long chat with some of the civvies in hangar 6 as well.
Some of them are completing licences during their transition phase to real civvie life, and would be able to give you a few pointers as to what they have had to do, and what paths they wished they followed with regards to licences and jobs.
They might help with the class 1 course attendance dilemma too. It's only 5 months now, and just a year's return of service afterwards. :-I