PDA

View Full Version : Which de-icing fluid type for light aircraft?

Contacttower
20th Jan 2012, 20:40
I know generally that the best stuff to use is the Kilfrost product designed for light aircraft but lets say one is away from one's home airfield and you need to be de-iced; the aircraft is quite large and the accumulations are too much to simply brush or scrape it off, is is safe to use a commercial aircraft deicer on a light aircraft (thinking of the perspex for example) and if so which type is most suitable (I know there are types I-IV)?

Contacttower
20th Jan 2012, 22:59
OK partly answered my own question; according to an old Flyer article type II generally needs a higher rotation speed to dissipate from the wings than most light singles have...anyone confirm or deny this?

mad_jock
21st Jan 2012, 08:56
personally I would only use type I on light aircraft. If the conditions where such that I required an anti ice procedure I wouldn't be going flying.

silverknapper
21st Jan 2012, 08:59
You're correct.

Type one will get rid of the ice but provide no protection against precipitation whilst waiting to get airborne. But it is safe to use.
What you're thinking of is anti ice, type 2 or 4. Try and avoid these for the reasons you already gave. When you land there will still be loads of them sticking to your aircraft.

ifitaintboeing
21st Jan 2012, 12:44
Only Type I is currently recommended for GA: See AAIB Recommendation 2005-135.

http://www.aaib.gov.uk/cms_resources.cfm?file=/Avro%20146-RJ100,%20G-JEAV%20(and%20others%20and%20Embraer%20145)%2007-06.pdf

It is unlikely in GA operations that you are applying the Type I fluid heated, so no Holdover time [abbreviated as HOT] applies.

The quote in Flyer was probably from AC135-17 issued by the FAA - Pilot Guide to Small Aircraft Ground De-Icing.

Flight tests performed by manufacturers of large transport category aircraft have shown that most SAE and ISO Type II fluid flows off lifting surfaces by rotation speeds (V sub R) on the order of 85 knots or greater.

Most fluid remaining dissipates during 2nd segment climb. Some large aircraft experience performance degradation due residue and may require weight or other takeoff compensation. Degradation of takeoff and climb induced by Type II fluids, may be significant on smaller airplanes.

ifitaint...