PDA

View Full Version : Paul Hancock, Elstree 1976

Squat-thrust
20th Jan 2012, 12:58
Hi all

I am looking on behalf of someone who would like to know the circumstances surrounding the death of a former work mate.

His name was Paul Hancock who was killed in an aircraft crash around 1976, he flew out of Elstree during the 1960's. It was suggested that he died in or around Elstree airfield. He was in his mid 30's.

I've looked through various websites but have not found anything, does anyone have any information?

Sir George Cayley
20th Jan 2012, 21:21
Graham Hill's crash at Arkley Golf Course was around that time and there were others onboard as well.

Search N6645Y should take you to AAIB report.

SGC

Lemain
29th Jul 2012, 22:43
This afternoon I was recalling that evening with friends who were junior members of Hill's team and were due to pick him up from Elstree that evening. The call didn't come through as expected....so out of curiosity I looked up the aaib report: http://www.aaib.gov.uk/cms_resources.cfm?file=/14-1976%20N6645Y.pdf It's short and an interesting read. Very, very sad.

chevvron
30th Jul 2012, 02:49
The name rings a bell; was he a freelance instructor 'cos I have a feeling I flew with him at Air Gregory/Denham Flying Training School c73 - 76.
In fact thinking back, was he not killed in a 150 out of Denham (G-BAIJ) - stuck exhaust valve caused CO poisoning and they spun in?
Edit to add:
Date given for the crash on Wiki is 28 Jun 1976.

chevvron
30th Jul 2012, 03:56
Should be an AAIB report on BAIJ giving names as it involved fatalities but I'm blowed if I can find it.
Position of the crash was Raans Road, Amersham, Bucks, about 7 or 8 miles from Denham.
I'd flown my brother in law in this aircraft some time beforehand, plus I'd flown it solo about 2 weeks before the crash. On this latter occasion, during the pre-flight, I'd found the stall warner was apparently not working. During the flight, I tried stalling it - not a peep from the stall warner so I told the person behind the desk and entered it in the tech log when I landed.
My brother in law was a part time fireman, and was on the first appliance to arrive at the crash. He noted that both occupants were 'bent double' ie had probably not been wearing their shoulder straps (it was an Aerobat hence had 4 -point harness') then realised it was the aircraft he had flown in with me; he almost collapsed and had to be relieved from duty.

chevvron
30th Jul 2012, 13:40
Dug out my logbook now.
Paul Hancock gave me a check ride in 'IJ on 10/8/73. I flew it several times over the next 3 years, last time when I 'snagged' the stall warner was 12/6/76, just over 2 weeks before the crash.

Squat-thrust
30th Jul 2012, 19:33
Thank you for this info Chevvron, I'll have a dig around the AAIB site myself, will pass on the information to his former work-mate.

dh man
1st Jul 2013, 19:41
Hi squate-thrust.
This may not help very much as your .work-mate. may already have given you this information,but just in case here's what I know. I was a contemporary of Paul Hancock. We were fellow colour retouching apprentices in the photogravure printing trade. I had attempted the Flying Scholarship at Elstree in 1959. I was 19 years old and such was the thrill I got out of flying the dh Chipmunk I rather bored everyone at work with my stories! But Paul took it all on board and started to learn to fly at his own expense. I left the printing industry and subsequently learned that Paul had qualified as a flying instructor at Elstree.
Then came tragic news - which I have not verified - He was conducting a flying lesson over Hertfordshire countryside when the pupil took charge of the flying controls and put the plane into a dive which in spite of Paul's best efforts he could not overcome. The aircraft dived into the ground killing Paul and the pupil. Paul lived at Carpenters Park Bushey Herts I believe and was the apple of his mother'e eye. To say his parents were distraught is an understatement.:rolleyes: