PDA

View Full Version : FAA (H) ticket in EASA / Ireland

FAA CPL H
19th Jan 2012, 15:35
Hey,

Have been hearing bits and wanted to get the forum's thoughts / understanding on it.

Is there new regulation coming in to place that FAA PPL (H) ticket holders can not exercise the privileges unless domiciled in the USA?

If so, what are the options available & time-lines on implementation....

Thanks

nigelh
19th Jan 2012, 16:40
Thats not how i understand it . I have both licences but chose to use my FAA as it means i dont have to do all the CAA nonsense of umpteen hrs of training ( for many people often conducted by pilots with far less experience in the aircraft themselves :rolleyes:) for each type rating and renewal .( Also your medical can last longer )
From April i think this year you will not be allowed to fly a G reg in the UK . Many paople are now moving their aircraft onto the N to keep legal . No doubt the Cretins Against Aviation will find some other way to put the final nail in the GA coffin ...hopefully by then i shall be so old i will fly anyway regardless :ok:

GoodGrief
19th Jan 2012, 16:53
Many people are now moving their aircraft onto the N to keep legal

That won't do you any good.
As far as I understand that nonsense you have to have an EASA license to fly an N-reg in EU airspace.

HillerBee
19th Jan 2012, 17:49
You have to have an EASA license to fly in European airspace, regardless of Aircraft Registration, if you are resident in any European country. General rule is 8-12-2012, however some countries have filed excemptions, stretching the period for another year.

206Fan
19th Jan 2012, 21:00
I believe all the Non-Uk PPL Holders are safe until the 8th of April 2014 going by this from the CAA Website.

FAQ Answer | EASA | Safety Regulation (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=620&pagetype=70&gid=2134&faqid=1312)

I have a licence issued by a non-EASA country (e.g. USA), how will the changes affect me?

Currently the UK Air Navigation Order gives a permanent validation of non-UK ICAO licences that allows the holders of those licences to fly UK-registered aircraft for private purposes only. With the implementation of European regulations, including the use of the derogations by the UK, this UK validation will remain for private flights until 8th April 2014. From that date forward the UK validation will be valid only for non-EASA aircraft registered in the UK.

For any commercial flight in a UK-registered aircraft, the holder of a licence that is not a UK or JAR licence must hold an individual validation issued by the CAA.

Under European regulations there is no general validation for private flying. An individual validation will be required in every case. However, the rules will include a two-year transition period for private flying. This means that from 8th April 2014 onwards, the holder of a licence from a non-EASA State must hold an individual validation certificate issued by the EASA Member State where the pilot or the “operator” of the aircraft is based, if the aircraft is to be flown for any purpose. For any commercial flight where application for validation is to be made to the UK CAA, an individual validation in accordance with the Aircrew Regulation is required from 1st July 2012. Before that date a validation issued under the Air Navigation Order is required, but will be valid for UK-registered aircraft only.

There are some other significant changes to the validation rules being introduced under EU regulations:

Under current national provisions a validation (general or specific) is required for a non-UK or non-JAR licence holder to fly a UK-registered aircraft. Under EU regulations a validation will also be required for such a pilot to fly an aircraft registered outside the EU if the operator of the aircraft is based in the EU. For example, if the operator of an N-registered aircraft is based in the UK, the holder of an FAA licence will have to hold a validation issued under EU regulations by the CAA to fly the N-registered aircraft in Europe. (Again, this is deferred to 8th April 2014 for private flying).

Under European regulations an individual licence holder may only be granted a validation once. Repeat validations are not permitted. A validation is issued for one year. If the pilot is training to gain an EASA Part-FCL licence the validation may be extended once by the State that issued it to allow a reasonable time to obtain the Part-FCL licence.
The below statement is taken from the Irish Aviation Authority Website.

Pilots holding Irish national (non JAR) licences can continue to exercise the privileges of their licence for a further 2 years until 8th April 2014. The Authority will develop a conversion report prior to this date to determine what additional knowledge, skills and or experience such pilots need in order to obtain a Part FCL licence.