PDA

View Full Version : Southwest Boarding Policy

YorkshireTyke
18th Jan 2012, 20:58
I admit that I’m a very infrequent air traveller within the USA, but usually use Southwest, and am getting more and more p***ed off with their ever changing free seating priority for boarding procedures.

Initially, it seems to me, that one was given an A boarding pass as a reward for arriving at the airport terminal in good time – something I try to do, with mixed success when travelling with Mrs. Y.T. who has no concept of getting a puncture, or being embroiled in an accident, or other traffic hold-up, and delights in achieving an absolute last minute arrival. At least it cuts down her time in the Airport Shops I guess, but always resulted in being given a C pass. Justice prevails !

On one occasion we had to change airlines in the middle of the night, and were first at the S’West check-in around 03.00 – to be awarded a C pass. I complained loudly –“ where is everyone else ?” probably still in bed, I was told, “why didn’t you check on Online yourself, which can be done after Midnight on the day of travel.” I was on another :mad: aeroplane, I replied. ( this was in the days before airborne iPads and the like)

Next trip I got up at 23.55, and still got a C pass, then I learned that one can now check in 24 hrs. before the time of travel on the day before !

Later I learned of, and practised myself, the art of loading ones’ computer at 24 hrs. and 1 minute before travel, being denied due to being too early but then rattling the computer refresh key, so that one micro-second after the 24 hr. start time one is accepted, and given an A pass. Success !!

Last time, using the above procedure, I got an A pass bearing the number A-30, and the significance of the number was of no interest to me – until I arrived early and took up my position at the head of the A queue, to be berated by the next arrivals when the new system of priority being given to those who pay an extra $10 for early seating was forcibly explained to me !!

It seems that S’West have lost the plot, now there is no reward for turning up early, priority is given to the computer savvy who are prepared to pay a premium for the privilege, and maybe even write their own computer programme to make the booking whilst they still sleep !

My question is … what happens if everyone pays $10 for priority boarding, do S’West rub their hands with glee, take the money and let us all still scramble for early seating electronically ?

Maybe the ability to pay $10 is restricted to only the first 30 or so who are the first to get in during that initial micro-second after Online check-in is released, which means that those with nimble fingers – and the fattest wallet - now get priority ?

Can't stand it, I have a choice (usually !) Southwest.

PAXboy
18th Jan 2012, 22:57
I'm not unsympathetic YorkshireTyke but you have just given a brilliant description of capitalism! :p

YorkshireTyke
19th Jan 2012, 01:17
.....but you have just given a brilliant description of capitalism!

Yes ! but it's not just the money, knowing various tricks with computers seems to be the rule these days, as well !

Hotel Tango
19th Jan 2012, 09:25
Don't give Southwest your business if you don't like their business model. At least in the USA you generally have a choice of carriers between most city pairs. To be fair, if you had rebooked at short notice on a pretty full flight with a carrier providing seat assignment, you probably would have ended up with a middle seat anyway. With some airlines you can select your seat when you make your booking and this can be months ahead. If you don't do this and check-in on line (even 24 hrs ahead) you may find that there's not much choice left either.

obgraham
19th Jan 2012, 18:21
Something makes no sense here. Southwest isn't for everyone, but they have figured out how to market their product, and they generally run an efficient service, done their own way.

And they seem very clear to me how to work their system. After all, they only book via the Web, so you have to go online to make a reservation. Right there they tell you how to handle the boarding process.

Sure, it's all a bit like lining up the cattle at the slaughterhouse, but they are pretty consistent, and follow their own procedures, unlike a lot of the Big Boys, who seem to make up new rules as they go through the day.

YorkshireTyke
19th Jan 2012, 19:52
Not disagreeing with all the comments, just a bit p'd off that just when one has learned their new system they seem to change it, certainly every - admittedly infrequent - time I've used S'west it as been different and caught me out. I guess "when-in-doubt-read-the-instructions " is the answer !

Tho' there is no alternative to ensuring that young families sit together, it seems that providing one has a brood of children with one, then all systems are by-passed anyway ! Families with kids get on first. If S'west are an example of Capitalism at work, as suggested, then surely there is an opening for someone to establish a "Rent-a-Kid-for-Travel" business ?

As I first mentioned, yes, sometimes I have a choice so can give S'West the Heave Ho, but not always and they do run a good service apart from this boarding battle - last time they even paid me not to fly my booked service by rewarding me with a cash voucher for future travel, to fly 2 hours later !!

sherburn2LA
20th Jan 2012, 02:39
As a Yorkshire person myself I am familiar with the concept of wanting to get owt for nowt. As somebody who flies every week with SW I am also a student of the boarding numbers and get somewhat disgruntled if I don't get my usual (back row) seat when returning to Burbank where we get off at the back.
Going back to the get first to the airport first in line days I am not ashamed to say I used my elbows to good effect on the jetway on many occasions but it wasn't really very dignified.
The A/B/C online switch with a free for all on booking I had off to a tee but still the pain of lining up for a good position. With the advent of the poles / numerical sequence it was a little more civilised. OF course since then they have refined that model. So you are looking at 1)Business Select (Full fare+) 2) $10 extras 3) A+/A list (50 / 25 flights a year) who will all be in front of you no matter when you login. However Families with kids will not be in from of you they come after A unless one of them has an A.
My guess was that within A list numbers were given by flying frequency so I had a good number always. About the time they changed the frequent flyer to basically go by how much money you spent rather than how many flights you took I suffered a significant degredation in my average number and my guess is they are now giving those numbers also by how much you paid rather than how much you fly. For which you can hardly blame them Even on A List I have had numbers in the high 40s at busy times so I imagine getting an A as an irregular traveler could be a challenge.

YorkshireTyke
20th Jan 2012, 03:20
Yes, we all like summat for nowt, but taking the money out of it, which unfortunately now defines the priority, and doubtless will never change, I wasn't looking for summat for nowt so much as being treated fairly, i.e. if I arrive at the airport early, or in these days book and pay for my ticket Online well in advance, then I expect to be treated better than some smart ass with a computer sat at home jumping the queue, but I guess when was Life supposed to be Fair ? The smart asses and squeaky wheels of this World get what they want and sod the rest of us.

I'm surprised that you say that A passes get boarded before families with children, that wasn't my experience last August, LAX-DFW-IND v.v. at every stop the kids got the choice seats ( except the exit rows of course ) Maybe the policy has changed yet again - there goes my Rent-A-Kid initiative !!

( All t'World's queer except thee and me, and am none so sure 'bout thee - old Yorkshire wisdom )

grounded27
20th Jan 2012, 03:22
The funny thing is, this "low cost" carrier has their passengers fighting to fly on them. You compete to book your seat and elbow each other down the jetway for the prize they dangle in front of you. Your mentality just replaced countless employee and the B/S they have to deal with.

YorkshireTyke
20th Jan 2012, 07:29
Your mentality just replaced countless employee and the B/S they have to deal with.

It doesn't take "countless employees" to write a computer programme that allows you to pick a seat when booking. If you book early you should get first pick. Once the programme is in place what is there to change ? QED

What B/S do these "countless employees" have to put up with as pax. take their nominated seats ? Apart from that, everything else could be equal between airlines, I think S'West employees have to put up more B/S sorting out pax. fighting for better seats all the time.

I think S/West do a great job, my only gripe is over the seating policy, and yes, I'll put up with that to avoid the B/S that a lot of the other lot throw at one, like crap food thrown at one when THEY choose, I take my food and drink of my own choice aboard S/West and consume it at a time of my choosing, not when they deign to serve it !

Thanks for the comments, I'm bored with it all now - looking forward to spending my S/West complimentary flight coupon later this year! ( I scratched their back, they scratched mine ) I'll fight my way aboard with the best of them - already sharpening my elbows in anticipation !!

Captivep
20th Jan 2012, 11:21
The reason LOCOs don't allocate seats is not for cost reasons. It is done to exert psychological pressure on passengers to be grouped at the gate, ready to board; this helps to reduce turnround times. Easyjet is just about to trial allocated seating, though.

YorkshireTyke
21st Jan 2012, 06:55
Southwest's new seats !!

Just read this .......

........ “Because we were able to sit you down and back in your seat, we created more personal space for you. As a result we were able to put in six more seats into the aircraft. So we have gone from 137 seats to 143 seats. We [offer] an average pitch of 31in. That is down an inch from 32in today. However, from a cubic space standpoint – the personal space around your body – we were able to maintain that, based on how you’re sitting in the seat. So, because you’re sitting at an angle different than what you sit at today, you’re able to extend your legs out in front of the seat in front of you, you have more shin and leg clearance then you do today in our current seat.”

Oh, yeah ??

Sit upright down there, that man.

AlpineSkier
21st Jan 2012, 14:43
Oh YT , what a moaner :}

Surely you can see that this is part of SW's policy to continually monitor and alter things for your improved comfort and safety....................... just like the boarding policy :cool: