PDA

View Full Version : Corporate Jet Type Ratings

sp33dfr33k
18th Jan 2012, 10:46
Dear all,

I am looking to possibly get type rated on a corporate jet.

Two of the types I am looking at are the Hawker 800 and the Embraer Legacy.

What I am seeking is a rough idea of costs and best places complete the training.

Perhaps someone out there has experience on either of these types and can point me in the right direction.

Any pointers gratefully received.

Thanks in advance guys.

redsnail
18th Jan 2012, 10:55
How much experience do you have?
What are you currently flying?
What market are you aiming at?
Are you flexible in where you work?

The Hawker 800, best place is probably FSI at Farnborough, although, I doubt they'll be the cheapest. Other places CAE Emirates, Dubai (XP only, sim may not exist any more), FSI Wichita and Wilmington. They're the ones I know of and have used.

Legacy, I don't know much about.

Colleagues who have been Excel rated seemed to have picked up work.

If you have a new CPL/IR and are looking to "buy a rating and see what happens" then save your money. Type ratings on a biz jet cost roughly the same as a type rating on a "normal" airliner.

mutt
19th Jan 2012, 07:47
Type ratings on a biz jet cost roughly the same as a type rating on a "normal" airliner. Strange as it may seem, the biz jet rating is a lot more than an airliner...... we are paying close to $60,000 for initial on some aircraft.

Trolle
19th Jan 2012, 09:30
Strange as it may seem, the biz jet rating is a lot more than an airliner...... we are paying close to $60,000 for initial on some aircraft.

I think you can chalk that up to supply and demand. Many more buyers of "airline" ratings compared to biz jet, therefore there are a lot of "airline" sims and organizations world wide.

Jerry Lee
19th Jan 2012, 12:19
Just out of curiosity, what is the cost of a Learjet 60XR type rating?

apruneuk
19th Jan 2012, 18:07
Sp33

According to your last post, you haven't even started your basic training yet! Assuming that you graduate with 200 hours or so in a couple of years' time I don't think that you will find an operator in the UK that would take you on flying a Hawker with no experience (my company insisted on 1500 minimum when I joined). If you are intending to pay for a rating with no firm offer of a job(:ugh:) you would do better to look at 737 or A320 - similar cost and many more possibilities.

sp33dfr33k
19th Jan 2012, 20:32
Thanks redsnail. Appreciate the information.

I am just looking for costs and locations at the moment.

sp33dfr33k
19th Jan 2012, 20:34
btw apruneuk, I appreciate your concern but things aren't always as they seem ;)

corporate-pilot
20th Jan 2012, 16:38
C'mon our lad would this not be better asked in the Biz Jet forum?

If you're looking at speculative TR's then perhaps a form of Citation might offer more opportunities. Personally though only a fool would buy a speculative Biz Jet rating in the hope of getting a job, there are far too many types you see. You could get a Hawker rating next week only to find a job advert for an XLS position the following week, rinse and repeat.

sp33dfr33k
20th Jan 2012, 16:58
Apologies, with further thought I should probably have asked in biz jet forum. Thanks again for everyone's responses.

fwja
16th Feb 2012, 17:15
CAE Emirates, Dubai ==> They will not accept you on TR if you don't have a contract.

fwja
16th Feb 2012, 17:17
Jerry,
within CAE it's 24000 USD course in Dallas, I just get the price 2 days ago.

fwja
16th Feb 2012, 17:21
It depend, if you are 23 years old yes a type rating on B737 or A320 is the correct option.
Today with actual crisis will not open the door in airlines to 40 years old guys with 500 flying hours only even with FI rating.
Probably the best way is the Biz Jet but very very difficult :ugh: to get introduction into Biz jet companies in order to negotiate an FO position even self sponsoring type rating.

mutt
17th Feb 2012, 12:45
FO position even self sponsoring type rating. Oh great, now you are recommending P2F for the corporate world........

Mutt

CaptainProp
17th Feb 2012, 22:19
Hawker 800 rating - Loads of rated pilots in Europe, WITH experience on type, and probably relatively few jobs around.

Legacy rating - You are competing with all the airline pilots who are rated AND have experience on type.

galaxy flyer
17th Feb 2012, 22:24
Mutt

May the saints preserve us.... Thank Gawd, my next rating will be with a large caliber weapon pointed at my head.

GF

I hope I didn't jinx myself into unemployment!