PDA

View Full Version : ATPL Ground Schools?

Bloody long way down
9th Nov 2001, 13:31
Can anyone recommend the London Guildhall University for the Residential ATPL ground school. With the recent downfall of many schools (one of which I had reserved a place) there seems to be very little choice left. I ask for the LGU as I would prefer a full time course. I have heard many good reports on Bristol but as I understand it they deal with distance learnig couses and I feel I would benefit a lot more from full time study.

And of course any others that you can recommend would be a great help at this time.

I am sure that any info that people can provide will be of great help to many others at the moment. :(

Thanks everyone

Matthewjharvey
9th Nov 2001, 13:34
As far as full time courses are going, the options are fast running out. I have not heard any good/bad things about Guildhall, but looking at the options eg. the overbearing pomposity of OATS you may have no alternative.

Good Luck

EGDR
9th Nov 2001, 16:32
I would strongly recommend Bristol's distance learning course - top school & top blokes !!!!!

Metsys
10th Nov 2001, 22:57
Try Glasgow,

Universities don't go bust and a lot cheaper to live than London, nice student accomodation about three minutes walk from the classroom, £68 per week.

msrogerson
11th Nov 2001, 03:25
I would also recommend Glasgow, i've just finished the course up there with 11 exams passed first time. Well worth it at £2500!!

Downwind_Left
11th Nov 2001, 03:39
Having seen the Guildhall notes earlier this week, they appear to be fine, better than the SFT and PPSC notes I've come accross. They did appear to be a bit "wordy" in places, and the important points that you need to know for the exam were not always as clear as they might be. However, if this is for a residential course you'll be getting more guidance during your initial studies than us distance learners.

However I'm studying with Bristol GS, nobody else's notes I've seen come anywhere close in terms of clarity. Concise text, very clear diagrams, bullet points in the margins flag important points....

I it sometimes looks like Bristol GS pay their students to promote them, but it's just cos they're bloody good, the notes and the people.

At the end of the day, it comes down to whether you think you'll be able to push yourself hard enough to get through the ATPL study in a reasonable length of time on a distance learning course.

EGCC4284
11th Nov 2001, 04:31
http://www.pprune.org/cgibin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=010130

HalesAndPace
11th Nov 2001, 22:04
Try either Bristol, or ATA at Coventry. :)

Tristar Freak
12th Nov 2001, 06:04
I can recommend ATA at Coventry, but as with everything go and check out the establishments for yourself and see if you like what you see. Talk to the students and get a feel for the "vibe" of the place. What one person likes may not be your taste at all.

A small amount of spade work could save you hundreds if not thousands of pounds. Best of luck.

Bloody long way down
12th Nov 2001, 12:57
Many thanks to all of you! Having been to the training exhibition at Heathrow on Saturday and having a look at the various offers I think I have now reconsidered my options.
Having now seen for myself the notes for BGS this has become a possibility. Although I was originally looking for a full time course this distance learning package could not be faulted on my behalf, these were probably the best set of materials that I have come across.
I can now see why so many of you recommend them.

Again many thanks this has been a huge help.