PDA

View Full Version : Oops! BA plays ditching announcement in mid-Atlantic -- twice

Blind Squirrel
17th Jan 2012, 09:41
Best item from the comments: "Ryanair would say 'This is an emergency announcement..please pay Euro 3 to the stewardess to hear the rest of the anouncement.'"

Terror of British Airways passengers told in error that plane was about to crash - Travel News, Travel - Independent.ie (http://www.independent.ie/travel/travel-news/terror-of-british-airways-passengers-told-in-error-that-plane-was-about-to-crash-2990315.html)

Hotel Tango
17th Jan 2012, 10:35
As mentioned in the article, not the first time. I have no idea where this "button" is situated, but could it not have a guard on it?

vulcanised
17th Jan 2012, 11:31
Only joking!

Shocked passengers mistakenly told plane was going down - Yahoo! (http://uk.news.yahoo.com/shocked-passengers-mistakenly-told-plane-was-going-down.html)

nivsy
17th Jan 2012, 11:33
Of course call me a cynic but if this "mistake" was carried out by say RyanAir doing we would be at post 10,000 by now!

MIDLGW
17th Jan 2012, 11:39
The button is secured and covered. Last time this happened, it was a technical issue, not anyone actually pressing any buttons.

Torque Tonight
17th Jan 2012, 11:45
But even though it has nothing whatsoever to do with RYR, that doesn't stop a hysterical witticism in the first post.:rolleyes:

YorkshireTyke
17th Jan 2012, 18:37
What do they suggest the crew do if such a mistake is made?

Precisely, " OH ! the computer says we're crashing, gotta do it then "

Mind, you a free round of Mr. Moet & Chandons best would have helped soothe a few savage breasts ( maybe they did ? )

Like the old joke about the first fully automatic crewless airliner, the auto. announcement finished .. " so sit back and relax as nothing can go wron.. go wron..go wron.... "

'course it does - occasionally, Murphy is always with us.

frequentflyer2
17th Jan 2012, 22:11
"His wife was crying and passengers were screaming. What for?"

I know. It's so uncool to be alarmed at the prospect of the airliner you're travelling on attempting to land in the north atlantic in pitch darkness. Fear of either drowning or dying of hypothermia in freezing water is so...well so 1912 (Titanic)...isn't it?

nombody
17th Jan 2012, 23:46
British Airways: Airline accidently play crash warning twice during Miami flight | The Sun |News (http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4065489/British-Airways-Airline-accidently-play-crash-warning-twice-during-Miami-flight.html)

PASSENGERS flying over the Atlantic were terrified when it was announced TWICE their plane could be about to crash.

The British Airways flight was at 35,000ft halfway from Miami to Heathrow when the taped message was played by accident. And screams rang out while it was repeated straight away.

Just how many other pre-recorded emergency messages does BA have on their planes?

crewmeal
18th Jan 2012, 06:03
When we landed they were handing out letters apologising

Wow the crew must have been busy typing all night in their crew bunks!!!

Hotel Tango
18th Jan 2012, 09:10
Wow the crew must have been busy typing all night in their crew bunks!!!

Said tongue-in-cheek I guess crewmeal, although I see no smilies. I'm presuming those letters were handed out by ground staff meeting the aircraft, the FD having no doubt reported the incident to ops whilst still e/r.

edi_local
21st Jan 2012, 16:54
Get away with this? Get away with what, sure it would give you a bit of a fright for a few seconds but no worse than that.

It's a shame the papers always manage to interview people with overactive imaginations and compensation foremost in their minds. What do they suggest the crew do if such a mistake is made?

His wife was crying and passengers were screaming. What for? :ugh:

Exactly.

They'll no doubt be in touch with lawyers soon, probably already dreaming of the compensation they think they're entitled to. They're just Looking for any excuse to get their face in the news, act all upset and get a few £ off the papers.Of course the papers are already over the moon at the fact they can print yet more over-dramatic "air travel will kill you" nonsense.

BA don't need to do anything, it was a simple error, if the "traumatised" pax feel so bad about this then they can take a cruise next time...oh wait, but then recent events have probably scared them off the high seas too.