PDA

View Full Version : Who can do a pre-buy inspection on a Tiger Moth?

B2N2
16th Jan 2012, 19:25
Friend of mine is interested in a Dehavilland Tiger Moth.
Problem is the plane's in Denmark and he's in Florida.
Anybody legitimate and serious that can take a look at the airplane for him?
He is willing to pay of course but I'm staying out of that one.
Can anybody refer anybody?
Are there any people from a Tiger Moth Association that do this sort of thing?
Thanks

stiknruda
16th Jan 2012, 19:56
I owned one a few years ago but am by no means an expert on the marque, my engineer has maintained a few and we did a fair bit of work on mine before selling her to a more worthy custodian.

I'd go to de Havilland Support Services at Duxford and ask the real experts.

If it all fails - I'm sure we could go and have a gander at the beast and a canter through the log-books to make sure that all the TNS' are done.

Stik

Lima Juliet
16th Jan 2012, 20:14
Try Stuart McKay of the UK's Moth Club (The de Havilland Moth Club Home Page (http://www.dhmothclub.co.uk/)). He answers the Club's e-mail address on the website.

Best of luck

LJ

Legalapproach
16th Jan 2012, 20:21
Henry Labouchere?

Aircraft engineer, Tiger Moth owner and pilot and great character.

LoopTV.Aero (http://www.looptv.aero/LTVCategory16/2653/MOTHMAN%E2%80%93HENRYLABOUCHERE.aspx)

PM me and I can give you a telephone number

stiknruda
16th Jan 2012, 21:10
LA - doh! Great suggestion!

I've known of HL for years but only met him last summer - he was incredibly helpful and was very keen that I took a look at his newest rebuild!

Henry could be the answer!!

Pilot DAR
16th Jan 2012, 22:01
Though we're in Canada, one of my clients is expert at Moths. I test flew his last month, to prepare it for sale. I'm sure the experience you require is resident in the UK, but if you have specific questions, I'll pass them along to seek and answer for you.

A and C
16th Jan 2012, 22:34
The Tiger Moth world is full of jokers who will tell you they are experts, few of them are anything but Bull*#%t artists.

Fortunately in the UK we have DH support who are experts and who you can trust, they should be your first stop for advice.

Now I just wish I could remember who the joker was that told a customer of mine that I did not know what I was talking about, removed the cylinder heads to fit new valves, found that these valves were already fitted, put the cylinder heads back and then asked me to sign for the work because he ( the so called expert) did not have a licence to do so................... As I said, a lot of jokers and self appointed experts.

rmcb
16th Jan 2012, 23:59
'Enry will 'elp you - good egg with a/c based in Langham, Norfolk.

chrisN
17th Jan 2012, 00:29
See:
Wood Repairs, section 90 of the Moth Service Register, compiled by the de Havilland Moth Club (http://www.dhmothclub.co.uk/msr/90woodrepairs.htm) .

Among them is :

Eastern Sailplanes Ltd.,
(Peter Johnson),
Office address:
Longacre, Bradfield St. Clare,
Bury St. Edmunds,
Suffolk, IP30 0EF
Workshop address:
The Blister Hangar,
Lavenham Lodge Farm,
Alpheton, Suffolk, CO10 9BT,
England
Tel/Fax: +44 1284 827 300 +44 1284 827 300
(Out of hours tel: +44 1284 827 399 +44 1284 827 399 )
Email: [email protected]
(After 22 years in the defence industry Peter Johnson founded Eastern Sailplanes in 2001 to focus on the repair of high performance sailplanes and glider tugs. The company began repairing Tiger Moths two years later, and is now completely reoriented towards the provision of vintage aircraft services, so far concentrating on the repair and maintenance of Tiger Moths. The company has new premises on a 650 metre strip at Lavenham)

Peter is, or was, something to do with quality management of the DH people at Duxford, as well as being an active Moth engineer.

I have known him for about 30+ years, and he has done work on my glider, which has been first class.

Chris N.

A and C
17th Jan 2012, 05:27
That Moth club list looks good to me as all the UK based company's on it have good reputations, I can't speak for the others as I have had no dealings with them.

There is one notable omission to the list ( who have been in business since 1963) but I think that they are too busy to be able to help with the above request.

stiknruda
17th Jan 2012, 09:41
I also know Peter J and have used him in the past - a fine fellow!

Stik

ProfChrisReed
17th Jan 2012, 19:40
I was going to mention Peter Johnson as well. He arranged the import of my glider from Germany and maintained it for several years until he got too busy with the more complex world of vintage aircraft. I'd fly anything Peter said was OK.

Whether he fancies (or has time for) a trip to Denmark is another matter, but worth asking. I'd imagine he could give references from previous customers, as I've seen a few Tiger Moths in his workshop.