PDA

View Full Version : RAF Mount Pleasant

750XL
16th Jan 2012, 15:58
Hello all,

Just a quick (and may seem stupid) question, but I'm just curious who provides ground handling to civilian aircraft at MPN?

Thanks

12 twists per inch
16th Jan 2012, 16:51
Handling is carried out by RAF personnel from 1312 Flt, maintenance activities carried out by the airlines flying spanners.

750XL
16th Jan 2012, 16:52

VP8
16th Jan 2012, 22:03
And excellent handling it was when we came down in the Antonov:ok:

inputshaft
16th Jan 2012, 22:09
Passenger handling for the oil industry Airbus and helicopters, as well as the LAN Chile 737, is provided by Stanley based Falklands Security.

Jumping_Jack
17th Jan 2012, 09:29
There used to be a small RAF Movs Det that handled the T Star and Lan Chile Flts, has that gone now?

dagowly
18th Jan 2012, 10:08
When did it become 'RAF' Mount pleasant? As the sign outside the camp says "Mount Pleasant Airport".

Wander00
18th Jan 2012, 11:20
MPA formally became RAF Mount Pleasant on 1 May 1986. The first ground defence hooter went about 00silly the next morning! IIRC the previous day was a Sunday, but the construction workers for LMA and WTW wre not allowed their usual half day off, usually spent drinking, so they did not get in the way and spoil the formal opening. I think the church was also dedicated on 1 May as well.

snowball1
18th Jan 2012, 19:50
It's Mount Pleasant Complex now.

Courtney Mil
18th Jan 2012, 21:00
The Death Star was always complex. I lived way down the far end in The Swamp one time. May occasionally have taken a wrong turn on the way there.

Mach Two
18th Jan 2012, 21:13
Indeed, Courtney. I found you one night in a remote corner, if you recall. Hadn't your Navy oppo been mugged by the RIC or something? The Death Star lived up to its name on occasions!

BEagle
18th Jan 2012, 21:20
When did it become 'RAF' Mount Pleasant? As the sign outside the camp says "Mount Pleasant Airport".

I think the point he's trying to make is that the Purple People (mainly pongos) didn't like the 'RAF' bit.

Courtney Mil
18th Jan 2012, 21:24
Well, in fairness, it is an airfield. So not a barracks or garrison, not a port or a dock. So what should it be called|? MPA was OK, but really, RAF Mount Pleasant seems more appropriate to me! Take away the Air bit and what's the point?

:E

Wander00
18th Jan 2012, 21:27
I was RAF Project Manager, OC SSS and one of 3 RAF officers at the then MPA Jan-May 1986 taking over facilities from the contractors and organising the commissioning with PSA. Brief was to open as RAF Mount Pleasant on 1 May 86. Interesting 4 months. Lived on contractors rules for first 10 weeks, then military rules - and salads, fruit and duvets all disappeared overnight!

Courtney Mil
18th Jan 2012, 21:40
M2,

Yes, my Navy mate did get mugged in one of the concrete corridors. Big black eye and everything. Claimed he'd walked into a WREN for weeks until we squeezed the truth out of him. But then the Gurkhas arrived and the streets were safe as houses.

BEagle,

There was enormous tribalism from some (only some) of the Army guys, as you know. My experience was that some of them worked day and night just to reorganise the "batting order" there. The Brig I worked for when I was running the TOC wouldn't stand for it, though. But after he left some of the reason left with him.

Still RAF Mount Pleasant.

Airclues
18th Jan 2012, 21:59
Wander00

Brief was to open as RAF Mount Pleasant on 1 May 86.

I operated into MPN on 19th July 1985 (G-AWNH) and I'm sure that the sign said "RAF Mount Pleasant" then.

Dave

Wander00
18th Jan 2012, 22:09
That may be what the sign said, but I assure you that "RAF Station Mount Pleasant" opened on 1 May 86 - the event, and the Stn Cdr (who moved up from Stanley) etched in my memory, not least because he nearly got me killed driving "my" landrover when against my advice he turned sharp right in front of a very big earth mover - whereupon he agreed I should drive!

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
19th Jan 2012, 12:55
Going back 10 years; JFLU (Eng Sqn) provided the ground handling for all visiting A/C. As I recall it, the FIC reps from Stanley travelled down to do Civ agency things for the LAN Chile flights with the JFLU Movers doing the baggage mangling and the like.

The "muggings" in the alleyways were not unknown but stopped after the KOSBies buggered off home. Oh what a joy the treck to and from the Swamp was. Halcyon days.

BEagle
19th Jan 2012, 14:21
The "muggings" in the alleyways were not unknown but stopped after the KOSBies buggered off home.
I never did understand why the police didn't sort that out.

A tale which I was once told about the abysmal behaviour of certain squaddies:

It seems that some RIC or other had been out in the field for a while, came back to the Deathstar and promptly started fighting and creating general mayhem..... So they were promptly fallen in, loaded onto various pongo wagons and sent back out to the field. Then told that they wouldn't be returning to MPA until they learned to behave less like drunken yobbos. Don't know whether it was true, but it certainly ought to be!

Truly dreadful people, some of the RICs. One lot even had its own 'punishment block' complete with blacked out windows and unofficial cells..... But the Ghurkas were utterly superb. Highly professional, unbelievably well turned out at all times and an absolute credit. What a shame the rest of the Army doesn't follow their example.

Rossian
19th Jan 2012, 14:37
During a two week det in '88 the then WC Admin warned us about the Cheshires who were in residence at that time. Allegedly their OC stopped paying the chaps so that they couldn't buy slabs - so they broke lights in the street and mugged passers by in the dark at the further reaches of the building.
One day I got lost on my way back to my hovel and strayed into the Cheshires territory. I have to say that all the "chaps" stood rigidly to attention and said "good afternoon sir" as I passed, but I couldn't help but notice as I passed that the few doors left in place had been kicked through and that the one piece stainless steel sheet showers were twisted junk.
The OC the unit was the chap who donated a jacket in a glass case "for those officers who didn't understand the dress code" and also persuaded the heirarchy that mess kit should be worn at dining-in nights rather than suits.
Interesting place.

The Ancient Mariner

Wycombe
19th Jan 2012, 20:04
I had the pleasure of 2 short stays in "The Bronx" in 2000, one during the KOSB residence and later in the year with the Gurkhas.

During the former, I laid in my pit waiting for the door to be kicked in (it never was to be fair, although the showers were trashed) and during the latter I laid in my pit listening to Pte. Gurung and Pte. Gurung singing their way to bed when returning from the bazaars :)

Dengue_Dude
19th Jan 2012, 20:13
There really should have been UN involvement in the Falklands . . .

the initials should have been placed in front of 'Pleasant'

I so don't miss that but my liver has made a full recovery from Izzie Booker's 40th birthday do . . .

Ah, nostalgia

Wander00
19th Jan 2012, 20:37
As OC SSS I was also Ground Defence Commander for RAF Mt Pleasant. "My" RIC was 2/2 GR. They were great guys to work with - even volunteered to help unpack 42 ISOs so we could open the messes the day after I had signed for the buildings. I also had the great privilege of being invited to eat with them. One of the high points of my career.