PDA

View Full Version : ATPL study with lapsed PPL

mikejwright
16th Jan 2012, 13:22
Hey all

I will be starting my ATPL studies again after a break of 7 years. I have a PPL with 180 hours but my license has lapsed as I haven't flown for over 5 years.

What do you think the best thing to so is:

Study for my written ATPL exams and then renew my PPL
or
Renew my PPL and then do my ATPL exams

Many thanks

MIKECR
16th Jan 2012, 14:32
I would probably renew my medical before I did anything else. If you didnt hold a class 1 before, then I would seriously consider doing that now before going any further, assuming of course your going down the CPL/ATPL route.

For starting ATPL theory, you need to hold an ICAO recognised PPL. But im sure you knew that already.

If you need to do an initial Class 1 Medical then its a trip to Gatwick and several hundreds of pounds to the Doc. It is however peace of mind if you get the all clear!

mikejwright
16th Jan 2012, 14:36
Hey Mike CR

I already have a class 1 medical and I have a UK issued PPL since 1999. :)

BillieBob
16th Jan 2012, 15:36
my license has lapsed as I haven't flown for over 5 yearsYour licence has not lapsed although, if it were a JAA licence it may have expired. However, if it was issued in 1999, it would have expired in 2004 and you would not have been flying on it 5 years ago, so it is probably a UK national licence which is non-expiring. Appendix 1 to JAR-FCL 2.125 requires only that you hold a licence issued in accordance with ICAO Annex 1, it says nothing about the validity of aircraft ratings contained within the licence.

mikejwright
16th Jan 2012, 15:42
Ok BillieBob thanks for that. You are quite right, my license does not expire as it states in the license that it is in force for the holders lifetime unless revoked.

So is it best to study and sit the ATPL's first before I renew my SEP rating etc?

SunderlandMatt
16th Jan 2012, 17:24
I've just done this too. I started my ATPL studies, then did a few brush up lessons and re-took my PPL(A) skills test to revalidate my PPL(A) as well as get a type rating on my local club aircraft. I'll sit my exams in a few months. Getting the PPL up and running again helps you to understand all those things you're learning about when studying for the ATPL. Yes your PPL flying is done on a much smaller level than the level at which the ATPL is pitched but never the less, I found it a useful practical revision.

If you get you're flying rate right, by the time you've finished you ATPL exams, you'll have cracked the 200 hours and you can move straight into an IR.

Good luck. :ok: