PDA

View Full Version : What about a Hurricane?

Genghis the Engineer
16th Jan 2012, 11:05
Following the Supermarine Spitfire / not-a-Spitfire thead got me thinking.

Like, probably most people, I have a handful of "before I die" life ambitions. One or two have already happened, one or two others have been knocked firmly into the long grass - but one is still with me, which is that at some point in my life I'm flying something that I designed, built, and test flew myself.

I've from time to time mucked about with some ideas of a ducted fan high performance microlight loosely modelled on the HP118, also a dull but very practical idea for a long range short field tourer.

Then I thought - what about a replica Hurricane? Modernish technology, but as close as possible to the real thing visually - and one can have a go at some reasonably representative handling as well.

A page of of back of envelope sums in my morning tea break came up with a couple of possibilities, both 1:1 scaled - so same size and shape, not scaled down.

(1) 750kg MTOW, 120hp flat 6, 120kg payload (pilot + fuel), certified as a non-aerobatic light aeroplane, 35 knot stall speed, around 1000fpm climb rate, about 90kn cruise speed. Probably do-able for around £30k for parts.

(2) 2200kg MTOW, 430hp V8, 300kg payload (pilot + fuel), certified as an aerobatic light aircraft, probably +6/-2.5g, 55 knot stall speed, around 1700fpm climb rate, maybe around 160kn, probably do-able for around £50k in parts.

Both would be a big job, but I know I've got the skills to do it - even if it would take years. What's anybody think about either possibility? Is there a market? Would people be interested instead in a manufactured version for maybe three times the price? Should one compromise and try for a 2 seater?

I'm guessing that once the design's been sorted, an aeroplane could be built in a couple of thousand man-hours. It seems like quite a fun project to me, but would be far more gratifying if other people wanted to buy or build them as well.

G

gasax
16th Jan 2012, 11:19
Something close to option one sort of exists already does it not? The Sindlinger Hurricane plans?

Option 1 though would suffer all the issues which people raise regarding the Mk26.

Option 2 - looks like it would be much more impressive - but of course at a price. Would it sell? Difficult to say, people seem happy-ish to spend £100k on the Mk26 so perhaps it would.

As a one off it would be pretty close to Clive du Cros' replica and that would not be bad!

Genghis the Engineer
16th Jan 2012, 12:01
Sorry - typo: HP115.

I'm aware of the Italian lookalike - but (a) it's not British, (b) I didn't design it, and (c) from what I can tell it's basically a light aircraft with fairings to look like a Hurricane, and not even really a replica. I was thinking much more of something structurally (aesthetically!) much more similar.

There have been other Spitfire replicas before of-course, but none were really as impressive as the Mk25/Mk.26, however controversial that is.

G

foxmoth
16th Jan 2012, 12:25
Personally I would view a Hurricane replica that cannot do aeros as a bit of a "why bother" project, especially if you want to get close to the original handling - has to be option 2 IMHO.:}

Rod1
16th Jan 2012, 13:22
It has to be aerobatic – could you do a 90% version at say 1000lb +6 -3g? Use the UL aerobatic engine. I would not worry about the sceptics – most have supported the Mk26 and in any case there are very few legacy Hurricanes about.

Rod1

Genghis the Engineer
16th Jan 2012, 13:44
It has to be aerobatic – could you do a 90% version at say 1000lb +6 -3g? Use the UL aerobatic engine. I would not worry about the sceptics – most have supported the Mk26 and in any case there are very few legacy Hurricanes about.

Rod1

I think that any 3 of those 4 could be done.

A 90% scale empty Hurricane AIRFRAME comes out around 530kg / 1170lb non-aerobatic, somewhat heavier aerobatic. Plus the engine. The Jabiru 3300 engine I had in mind is another 80kg/180lb (and one could probably use diaphragm carbs) giving about 120hp.

That light, that big, and aerobatic, I don't think works. You need more structure, and more engine, or something much smaller

G

Rod1
16th Jan 2012, 13:55
The UL350iS would give you 130hp at 175lb (allegedly)

Rod1

Genghis the Engineer
16th Jan 2012, 14:05
Which would give basically the same answer I'm afraid.

G

Poeli
16th Jan 2012, 17:09
Seems a great idea to me, and could be a great project with years of fun:ok:

Genghis the Engineer
16th Jan 2012, 17:14
A hybred aircraft is certainly do-able, although there are some hellishly fiddly systems issues.

But, it really wouldn't be even a "model" Hurricane by that point methinks!

G

Rod1
16th Jan 2012, 17:36
Would something like the V6 out of the Titan Mustang allow something between the two?

Rod1

Corporal Clott
16th Jan 2012, 21:03
Seeing as I've just posted a picture of the most gopping replica Spit on the other thread, how about this?!!

http://www.airbum.com/pireps/HurricanOpenerWEB.jpg

:yuk:

CPL Clott

NazgulAir
16th Jan 2012, 22:08
Ouch. That cowling looks so wrong...

robin
16th Jan 2012, 22:15
... and the camouflage scheme is, well, odd, though it could be a colour reproduction problem

A pink Hurricane - hmmm

Skittles
16th Jan 2012, 22:23
This looks like a 'sounded good at the time' job.

The material costs are surely the least of your concerns. If I were doing something like this (and wanted a semblance of handling and 'reality' I'd jot down a ball-park figure of £600/700,000 for the first unit, perhaps half that for subsequent units.

Not to mention that from everything I've ever read as you approach 1:1 size (as opposed to 80%/90% etc), the considerations and engineering challenges multiply exponentially.