PDA

View Full Version : Aviation definitions and glossaries

plans123
16th Jan 2012, 10:54
Need a bit of help guys.. I have been asked to provide a definitive document that lists all aviation abreviations and definitions..

You know when some one says to you define an ETD, you tell them and they reply with, 'where is that offically written down?'

Errrrm...

Does anyone know where I can get a (preferably free) copy of such a document that lists all this sort of stuff. I've had a look about on google, but nothing on there I've seen really matches up to what I am after..

All it has to to is give the abbreviation, and its definition, with maybe some backround info as well.

Any help would be appreciated.

a confused Plans123 :ugh:

pppdrive
16th Jan 2012, 11:06
Hi, don't know if it's still being published, but the old ABC guide (or OAG in the USA) used to have a section where a lot of codes were explained.
Failing that, try contacting the training section of British Airways. To me (when they were BOAC) they gave the best training I ever had within the aviation business. Do you just want reservations based details, airport details or both?

plans123
16th Jan 2012, 11:13
I'm after things like ETD, EET, ETA, definition of an airway. More the planning and ATC side of things.

dallas
16th Jan 2012, 11:23
EUROCONTROL - Acronyms (http://www.cfmu.eurocontrol.int/cfmu/public/standard_page/help_acronyms.html)

There's a starter; I imagine there's an ICAO 19-volume equivalent somewhere too that it's sourced from. Otherwise I think definitions will depend on the subject matter and therefore the sub-publication.