PDA

View Full Version : CRP5 vs CRP5-W

4_blues
16th Jan 2012, 08:32
Hi

Quick question. Which in your own view is best standard CRP5 or CRP5-W. Reading a post on here from 2005 recommended the CRP5-W for speed in the exam and given EASA have just added an extra 30 questions to GNav with no extension in time this may be crucial.

However, it escapes me now, but Im sure I read somewhere recently the CRP is not allowed to contain a wind arm for the exams? Am I going slightly mental or is there any truth to this?

Many thanks.

zondaracer
16th Jan 2012, 09:12
I found that the windarm got in the way and I ended up ripping it off. In fact, everyone I know who got the wind arm ended up ripping it off. I'm sure some people find it useful, but I think my £5 would have been better spent on beer.

Genghis the Engineer
16th Jan 2012, 09:32
Based upon my CRP-1 and CRP-1W (I seem to have acquired one of each) I prefer the one with the wind arm.

But, frankly there's not a lot in it.

For exams, I suspect that you're better off without it because the precision you need is best served by a sharp pencil.

For real world flying, the wind arm is really quite nice to have.

G

CATS Support
16th Jan 2012, 11:08
In a class formerly at Cranfield for fun (I know....) one student set up a question with an electronic E6B.
I, at the front, worked on the classroom size CRP5W one-handed, the class used CRP5s and CRP5Ws.

The electronic E6B won but cannot be used in the exam
I came in second with the CRP5W
The class CRP5Ws were next
Then came the CRP5s about 20 seconds behind

The accuracy of the CRP5W needs to be checked upon reciept. The centre line of the wind arm must be coincident with the centre of the rectangular slide when lined up vertically (most are o.k. nowadays)

You can make a mistake if you leave a pencil mark from a previous question with the CRP5

If you are confident and quick with the CRP5 stick with it

If you are just starting I would recommend CRP5W

Piltdown Man
16th Jan 2012, 12:12
I've tried both and along the way used the CR series and the ASA products. The best I've ever used was the Aristo Aviat but a good second was the Pooley CRP series. Of those, I preferred the ones without the wind arm. It does work but you don't know if it has moved and it slightly adds to the obscuration of the slide face. Muck also gets trapped behind the arm. Finally, there's nothing quite like a little "X" to mark the spot. I'd suggest getting one without.

Tinstaafl
16th Jan 2012, 16:05
I much prefer the CR series to slide type whiz wheels.

16th Jan 2012, 16:06
Defintely Wind Arm for me.

I got my CRP5-W during my ppl and my instructor didn't have a clue how to use it and suggested ripping the wind arm off. But I stuck with it and soon found it quicker for the atpls. I borrowed a non wind arm version to try a while ago and found it a lot slower having to use a pencil/rubber etc. I never had any problems with accuracy using the wind arm.

But I guess it depends what you are used to and which one you start on?

The key really is being extremely familiar with your CRP5 so that you can use it quickly whether it has a wind arm or not.