PDA

View Full Version : Apprenticeships?

Murdy
15th Jan 2012, 20:48
Hi,

Just wondering if there are any apprenticeships going around or any chance of them in the near future?

exeng
15th Jan 2012, 22:16
Try - British Airways. They are running a continuing Apprenticeship scheme for Engineers. Did a 4 year one myself back in '68 with BOAC and very good it was too.

My youngest Son is attending Farnborough Tech this year on the 'AME' course with a view to 'hopefully' starting a BA apprenticeship later this year.

My apprenticeship was an excellent preparation for life in general, and in particular aviation (not just Engineering, although clearly that was the focus)

I moved over to the 'dark side' quite early on but I daily rely on what I learned in those early years. A number of my colleagues who remained in Engineering had very succesfull careers that were far more financially rewarding than the path I chose - I have to say though that without exception they were more able than I and that they deserved the positions they achieved.

Regards
Exeng

Mr @ Spotty M
16th Jan 2012, 04:26
Monarch Aircraft Engineering currently run apprenticeship schemes for engineers and the recruitment normally takes place after the spring.

stevef
16th Jan 2012, 06:12
RVL (East Midlands Airport) were advertising two apprentice vacancies.

Murdy
18th Jan 2012, 08:24
Thanks for your replies, I will look into all of them :)

Thanks

Capot
18th Jan 2012, 10:00
Flybe has an Apprentice scheme which offers a guaranteed job to those who complete the course (note the words carefully) but I don't know if it is fully taken up, or how it is faring as Flybe feels the financial pinch bite home.

BluFin
18th Jan 2012, 21:28
In addition to those previously mentioned, ATC Lasham are recruiting apprentices for both sites - QLA & SEN Start Sept B1 & B2

ZFT
18th Jan 2012, 22:07
exeng

Try - British Airways. They are running a continuing Apprenticeship scheme for Engineers. Did a 4 year one myself back in '68 with BOAC and very good it was too.

My apprenticeship was an excellent preparation for life in general, and in particular aviation (not just Engineering, although clearly that was the focus)

Do you recall the Apprentice heads secretary. Gorgeous girl who married the (British) Iran Air Engineering Manager Phil something?

Scott C
26th Jan 2012, 11:38
Flybe has an Apprentice scheme which offers a guaranteed job to those who complete the course (note the words carefully) but I don't know if it is fully taken up, or how it is faring as Flybe feels the financial pinch bite home.

I applied for this scheme a couple of years ago and was then asked to go to Exeter College for an interview (Which is 180miles from where I live) to be told that it was an unpaid apprenticeship, so i'd have to find a fair amount of money to live down in Exeter for 4 years.

As it wasn't a university course, I couldn't get any money from Student finance and my family didn't have the money to pay for my accommodation. I could have tried to get a part time job, but it wouldn't have been enough.

Therefore, the apprenticeship was only good for those living in or near to Exeter, or could afford to move there for 4 years without an income.

tarrant
9th May 2012, 17:00
Hello ZFT
Re the guy at Iran could it be Phil Permaine? his then wife was Mary.
If so, I knew her at EL AL as the Maintenance Department Secretary. I understand that Phil still works for Iran.

jumbojet
9th May 2012, 17:21
Thread drift alert!

I did the BA apprenticeship in about 1982, think we were called TAB1/M. what a foundation for life. Today I fly the birds I was taught to fix, but its not so much fun! The final years of the course we went to majors/minors/T4. In Minors I really learnt the bird, @T4 I had so much fun every day I went home with a sore stomach from laughing!! Great guys working hard (sometimes!) playing harder!! All @20ish years! I look back with a smile.