PDA

View Full Version : MEP & ME-IR Renewal under EASA

ARFFlyer
15th Jan 2012, 20:31
Hello there,
I'll be needing to renew both my MEP and ME-IR ratings in a few months. As EASA regs will be in effect at this time, will it still be possible to be certified for both during the same examination flight?

My MEP lapsed in early 2010 which was also my last real flight, and the ME-IR in early 2011 (sim). As I understand it, under new rules, I'll have to undertake an approved training program as deemed appropriate by the FTO. What can I expect such a program to entail in terms of time and cost?

As I currently work abroad (non flying, rubbish pay) , I'll only be in country for around 6-8 weeks hence the need to get it done fairly quickly.

Thanks in advance.

S-Works
16th Jan 2012, 08:12
No training required. You can do a combined test.

BillieBob
16th Jan 2012, 12:29
Bose is wrong, I'm afraid. There is no approved training program but refresher training, determined by an ATO, is required under EASA rules for renewal of an expired rating. The amount of training required will be determined by the ATO having evaluated the pilot's logbook and, if necessary, conducting a test in an FSTD. On completion of the training, the ATO should issue a certificate, which will be required by the competent authority when the renewal is applied for.

For each rating lapsed by more than one year but less than 7, a minimum of three training sessions will be required. There is, however, no definition of what constitutes a training session - three 10 minute ground briefings would fulfil the requirement as written.

See AMC1 FCL.625(c) for the IR and AMC1 FCL.740(b)(1) for the MEP

S-Works
16th Jan 2012, 12:36
Oh here we go. Gold plating machine at the ready..... :p

There are no training requirements. The decision still lies with the Head of Training and if the Head of Trainingh deems that discussion over a coffee and a flight test are enough then thats it.

Why do we have to make things out to be more complicated than they are?

ARFFlyer
16th Jan 2012, 16:30
Thank you both.
billiebob - I had read that somewhere, however I'd understood it as meaning the FTO would have to send what it deemed to be a suitable refresher program of to the CAA for the 'once over'. My mistake. This is good news as there will be less of a delay between the assessment and commencing the training.

thanks again.

BillieBob
16th Jan 2012, 21:56
bose, I do wish that you would occasionally read the post before doing your well known impression of a spoiled brat. Nobody is suggesting gold plating of any kind, thanks to the ineptitude of EASA's drafting.

S-Works
17th Jan 2012, 07:44
Billiebob, I read the post and your response. Every single one of your responses is to cut and paste a load of EASA extracts and make everything look to be end of the world difficult. The actual answer is that the ratings can be done at the same time and there is no required training. Everything else you posted is at a tangent as the OPs ratings are only recently expired.

I am sure you get an element of joy out of making things more complicated than they are. Or are trying to make some sort of point.

It's little wonder people give up flying when things which are quite simple in reality are made to look so difficult.

To the OP, drop me a line I would be happy to sort the renewal out for you.

BillieBob
17th Jan 2012, 12:55
OK, Bose, the AMCs do not exist, there is no requirement for refresher training and the Authority will not require evidence of refresher training before renewing a rating - happy now? Meanwhile, back on planet Earth....

S-Works
17th Jan 2012, 13:41
Oh for gods sake. Is there a smilie for exasperation?

This is pretty simple. If the OP comes to me as Head of Training at an FTO/TRTO and examiner. I will look at his licence see that it only expired in the last 18 months and ask if they want to do some refresher training or go direct for the test. I will give briefings as appropriate on the aircraft and the test and conduct it as a combined test.

I will issue an SRG1119 which according to the CAA is the 'certificate'.

Tell me what is complicated about that process?

On planet earth we do not need to make a drama out of a simple excerise as some way of taking an endless punt at what we don't like about the EASA regs.

That is the word from the CAA on how they see it working. If it changes in the future I will change accordingly. I won't try and make it out to be some sort of hugely expensive insurmountable mountain which with due respect is what comes across in everyone of your posts. That and the fact that you feel very bitter towards the EASA process. It's not perfect, it needs some ammending but it is where we are now and we have to learn to work with it until it gets changed rather than constantly bitching about it.

madlandrover
17th Jan 2012, 15:58
Is it not possible that you're both approaching violent agreement ;)?

S-Works
17th Jan 2012, 16:39
Yep......

It's just my glass is half full...... :p:p

madlandrover
17th Jan 2012, 16:59
Whether the glass is half full or half empty is irrelevant. The important question is: why hasn't the glass been kept full?

S-Works
17th Jan 2012, 17:00
damn fine question and one that I intend on fixing in an hour!!! A pint of Tubthumper is calling!

blagger
17th Jan 2012, 17:05
Are BillieBob and DFC related?