PDA

View Full Version : "Unlicensed mechanic" vs "mechanic (avionic) fitter" any difference ?

Cavalryman
15th Jan 2012, 15:35
Hello.

Base maintenance.
"Unlicensed mechanic" and "Mechanic fitter" - is it absolutely the same thing, synonyms ? I have never heard of "Unlicensed avionic", but "fitter" may refer to both avionic and mechanic. Why so ?

P.S. sorry for stupid question.

Krystal n chips
15th Jan 2012, 17:33
Not a stupid question at all.

More to do with the semantics ( and thus confusion for many whose first language is not English....although the same can be said for many for whom it is ) of the English language and the terms used in aviation across the world.

Mechanic / fitter are both the same and usually, with the term mechanic, refer to the airframe / engines element.....fitter, on the other hand can often refer to both avionics and A&C.

As I say, it really does depend where in the world you live as to what terms are considered relevant to the role.

shedhead
16th Jan 2012, 19:32
it can be confusing as Krystal says, usually unlicensed avionics people are referred to as avionics mechanics/fitters but A+C unlicensed guys are known as just mechanics/fitters.

Cavalryman
17th Jan 2012, 19:11
Krystal n chips, shedhead,

Thank you ! :)

cedgz
29th Jan 2012, 21:23
are you sure Waver? good thing it's only your view

stevef
30th Jan 2012, 10:17
On the premise that Waver is not a troll, let's break his/her observation down:
1: How would anyone get the experience to become a licenced engineer if he/she wasn't permitted to work on aircraft in the first place?
2: Would it be safe to allow newly-qualified LAEs (straight from college) to carry out inspection and maintenance without the benefit of working alongside highly experienced non-licenced engineers? A licence doesn't make the holder an instant expert.
3: Would airlines/AMOs be happy about paying LAE wages to all maintenance staff?

I'm sure there'll be plenty of other comments on Waver's opinion.

shedhead
30th Jan 2012, 13:45
Waver. In my view people who make such obviously ridiculous statements as yours should not be allowed anywhere near an aircraft. Would you care to enlighten us about how you gained the necessary experience on live operating aircraft in order to gain your license?