PDA

View Full Version : Approach into Stansted from the North

PhilipSunderland
14th Jan 2012, 08:20
The other day, approaching Stansted from the North, we were over Saffron Walden, and then turned right for the final approach. I was on the left hand side of the aeroplane. and saw a large, seemingly disused airport. What was it? I assumed maybe Debden - wasn't sure if this still existed after its role in WW2. Just interested!

Double Hydco
14th Jan 2012, 08:29
Yes, it's probably Debden. Its called Carver Barracks now, and is home to 33 Engineer Regiment RE. The runways are not serviceable, although they get the odd visit from a Chinook or Apache.

Also, a little further out is Wethersfield (the south side of the 22 approach). It used to be USAFE, and is now home to MOD police. The runways are used for Air Cadet gliding.

PhilipSunderland
14th Jan 2012, 22:12
Thank you so much for prompt and interesting reply!

PhilipSunderland
14th Jan 2012, 22:21
Ok - I live in Waltham Abbey and frequently watch the aeroplanes coming in to heathrow from the Epping Stack, then flying due East before turning south towards Tottenham. Some are clearly diverted back into the stack. Now and again i see one that is really low - about two or three thousand feet I'd guess-timate. This seems really weird when heathrow is still, what, 25-30 miles away? be fascinated to hear comments on this...

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
15th Jan 2012, 07:28
The northern Heathrow holds are Bovingdon, almost due north of Heathrow, and Lamborne in Essex. Rarely - I mean very rarely - are aircraft "diverted back into the stacks". The only time I saw it was during bad fog conditions and even then it was rare.

Heathrow traffic will not be 2-3000ft that far out, more like 6-7000ft. Maybe you are seeing traffic for London City or Northolt?

Groundloop
16th Jan 2012, 08:08
coming in to heathrow from the Epping Stack, then flying due East before turning south towards Tottenham.

As pointed out by HD, there is no such thing as an "Epping Stack". The north-eastern hold is called Lambourne.

Also, Tottenham is WEST of Epping!