PDA

View Full Version : Tankering to MLWT/Fuel shortage

Syntax
13th Jan 2012, 09:30
Flying into Manchester a while back and there were Notamed problems with the fuel supply. We decided to take round trip fuel to be on the safe side. I am slightly embarrassed to admit it but I had to think a little more then I should about how to calculate the fuel uplifted in order to not go over the MLW while at the same time uplifting as much as I could to land close to the MLW. As far as I could see it should be (ZFW-MLWT) + trip fuel?

dhardesthard
14th Jan 2012, 01:49
I figure it should be MLW plus trip fuel to go and come. You would still have to check that you are not exceeding other limits like the ZFW and MTOW.

Checkboard
14th Jan 2012, 09:09
Fuel weight calculation (I know one person who printed up a few of these, and kept them in the nav bag for those occasions when they were necessary)

MLW (Max Landing Weight):__________
+ Trip Fuel:__________
--------------------------------------
= Trip Limit:__________
MTOW (Max Take Off Weight) =__________
[Cross out the higher figure]
--------------------------------------
- EZFW (Estimated Zero Fuel Weight):__________
= MFL (Max Fuel Load):__________

You get the estimated zero fuel weight from the flight plan, of course (assuming it's prepared for you). Round DOWN the trip fuel (and even take off a bit), to allow for short cuts en-route (burn less, and you arrive with too much weight to land!). Round UP the EZFW (if a few more passengers turn up, you might be too heavy to take off!)