PDA

View Full Version : PPL training on two different aircraft types?

KNIEVEL77
12th Jan 2012, 15:11
(Edit: I posted this in the Private Flying Section as it was just a general question about training but it has been moved to this forum. I did not intend it to appear here as I am fully away this section is for Professional Helicopter Pilots not students. I apologize and have asked for it to be removed.)

Hi Chaps,

How unwise would it be to train on two different helicopter types during PPL training?

The reason I ask is that my preferred trainer is a Schweizer 300 but it is 200 miles away whereas my local school has a Robinson R22.

I was thinking that on my free days when I can not get down to the Schweizer, could I do some hours in the Robinson or would is it likely to confuse the issue?

All opinions appreciated!

Pandalet
12th Jan 2012, 15:29
You'll probably end up taking twice as long to get your license? I believe there is some allowance for training on multiple types during a PPL, but it's really intended to allow a few hours (say 1 or 2) on something else; I seem to remember that there is a requirement for a minimum number of hours in whatever you do your test in. The only type you'll get on your sparkly new license will be whatever you do your test in; you'll still need to do an approved course to get any other types added.

Training on multiple types seems like a good way to make your PPL cost a whole lot more, in my opinion.

-- One of the non-chaps

BillieBob
12th Jan 2012, 15:49
The JAA requirement is that the mandatory 35 hours of flight instruction (including the 10 hours solo and the qualifying cross-country) must be completed on one type of helicopter. The remaining 10 hours experience required for licence issue may be completed on any type. The EASA rules (post 1 July) are slightly different in that the mandatory flight instruction is increased to 45 hours and you must complete 35 of those hours on the same type of helicopter as the one used for the PPL(H) skill test. Which set of requirements you need to abide by will depend upon whether you will be applying for a JAA licence (pre 1 July) or an EASA one (post 1 July).

KNIEVEL77
12th Jan 2012, 16:01
Thanks.
Providing the legal 35 hours are on type and leaving the cost issue aside would it be a problem in just gaining air experience on another type?

Shawn Coyle
12th Jan 2012, 16:16
In the long run, you'll be a better pilot for having experience in two different types.
Initially, trying to keep the numbers straight in your mind will be a bit difficult, but you will learn how to shift gears much more easily as you progress through a flying career.

EN48
12th Jan 2012, 16:18
would it be a problem in just gaining air experience on another type?

I did this, flying an R22 through solo, and then shifting to an Enstrom 480B (the type I would be flying after completing the PPL) to finish the PPL. While every choice comes with tradeoffs, I found some benefits to this broader learning experience. I wouldnt be too concerned about the added hours unless it is your intent to stop flying immediately upon completion of your PPL. All the hours count toward total experience and one learns something with every hour of experience. On the other hand, if completing the PPL in the minimum number of hours possible is important, stick with one type.

KNIEVEL77
12th Jan 2012, 16:26
Some great advice chaps, thank you I appreciate it!

I'm in no rush to complete the course but at the same time, when I can't get down to the Schweizer I'd like to keep up with the flying at my local FTO.

However, obviously I don't want to make matters confusing by flying two different types at the same time!

I just thought it may help if I kept my hand in as it were!

Whirlygig
12th Jan 2012, 20:13
Our fixed wing brethren do not need type ratings in the same way as us rotary chaps - therefore, you would not have got as comprehensive an answer on Private Flting as here.

Whilst the Rotorheads strapline states "Professional", this is taken very, very loosely and all are welcome. The "rules" for rotary pilots are different in enough respects that all aspects of rotary flying are more likely to get a better repsonse here.

Cheers

Whirls

Genghis the Engineer
13th Jan 2012, 13:38
(Edit: I posted this in the Private Flying Section as it was just a general question about training but it has been moved to this forum. I did not intend it to appear here as I am fully away this section is for Professional Helicopter Pilots not students. I apologize and have asked for it to be removed.)

Trust the PPrune genie, it knows what it's doing. :p

G

Helinut
13th Jan 2012, 22:03
From what you say, you will also switch instructors as you will be at a different school. That also has pluses and minuses. Sometimes having two views of something can help to broaden your understanding - in other situations it can confuse. Relationships between instructor and student can be quite strong. You may find a preference for instructor as well as a/c type

puntosaurus
14th Jan 2012, 08:38
I had an exceptional student once and he used some of his 'spare' 10 hours to do most of the R44 type rating course whilst on the ab-initio PPL course on the R22. I think he did his R44 type rating test as soon as he physically got hold of his license.

Most normal mortals (myself included) are sufficiently challenged by the basic course that they have no spare capacity for this sort of thing.

With those two types, I would have thought that the throttle is the thing that will bother you. The 22 will make you lazy with throttle management -maybe fly it without the governor as we used to (before I get flamed - that was meant to be a joke) ! The other thing of course is that whilst I'm sure your S300 instructor is encouraging you to fly smoothly, that machine can absorb a lot more agricultural handling than the 22. The exception to that is the landings though, where the S300 can teach you more than you need to know about ground resonance.

It can't do any harm to try it though, if you and your instructors are comfortable that it's not hindering your progress then why not ?

PS. My exceptional student was a digger driver in his day job, so it was second nature to him to have each limb under separate command. I had a similar experience teaching a drummer, and I'm waiting for a church organist to come and learn to fly so I can prove my theory completely.