PDA

View Full Version : career progression at the airport whilst on the ground

madshopper
11th Jan 2012, 23:24
I work at my local airport as a passenger service agent. Done the job for sometime for 2 years, dont mind the hours, love the whole airport environment etc. Have done as well in the past ticket desk agent, reservations agent in a call centre etc. I know given the current economic climate we are in, there are limited jobs around.

My next step is hopefully to work for the airline itself but in the airport environment rather than a call centre. I ideally want to become an airport services agent/ airline customer service representative and take things from there. I understand that for these type of roles, airlines recruit from within not externally. I know i have my foot through the door by working in an airport - question i want to ask is, is it worthwhile me posting a speculative CV through each speculative employers' door.
Can i ask anyone what steps have they taken from being a ground crew to where they are now ? thanks

777ord
13th Jan 2012, 18:18
Great question.

To start, how old are you? do you have 2 years of experience, or more?

-For me, when I was 17, I got a job working on business jets at the local airport cleaning and servicing them.
-Then, I did Ramp operations for Swissport at Chicago O'Hare seasonally for 2 years.
-Then, worked for American Eagle Airlines in Dubuque, Iowa for 2.5 years.

Add in several years as a Naval Officer, and next friday marks my last day of service. Today, I am to find out if I got hired on by United for operations.

So, how does this help you?

Simply put, how professionally written is your resume? What is your career objective, i.e. in 20 years, where do you want to be?

Having the experience you have so far in various airline operations is GREAT! Airlines tend to get excited over the more qualified candidates for various obvious reasons.

Can you provide further information on what you want, where you are etc... I'm more than happy to help!

pppdrive
16th Jan 2012, 10:58
I appreciate that times have changed, but in my 40 years on the ground I found that most airlines wanted experienced staff, but how do you get that eperience?
Start wherever you can, in my case it was 1969 in Reservations with BOAC in London. 1 year with them and then down to Australia to TAA in Reservations Melbourne, folllowed by check-in & ticketing in their City Terminal. Next was a move to Qantas at the airport doing all passenger service duties. Along comes American Airlines and a supervisors job. Another few yers with Qantas then followed. By now I had reservations, ticketing, check-in, load control (weight & balance), a little crewing and operations experince. Back to England as a Duty Officer with Monarch. a year later, Senior Duty Officer for Ramp Dispatch section. Then as Airport Manager for ABC (cargo airline) for new base at Luton Airport. Now I also had Ramp, Dispatch, Start-up, Marshaling, Aircraft push-back, ground-air radio to add to my CV. General Manager UK for Altair based at Luton and then my own Airlne Representation Company (Air-Reps (UK) Ltd). A short break away from aviation then back to Australia and 5 years at a 'one-man airport' at Hervey Bay. 3 flights a day (max 36 passengers) where my previous experience allowed me to remain on my own there until size of aircraft operated required more staff. Marshal, check-in, unload/load baggage, reservations, ticketing, you name it I had to do it. The best job I ever had and was very sad when circumstances meant that job ended and I returned to UK. By this time, the airline game was entirely different and I decided to remain outside aviation till retirement which I now enjoy.
So, in a nutshell; if you want a creer on the ground with an airline, get as much experience as you can in as many different sections and with different airlines. Even if you don't particularly like some of the positions, still do them as you'll experience things from a different point of view and it all adds to your overall experience.
I know where you're coming from as aviation was always the job I wanted and I consider myself to have been very, very lucky to have enjoyed so many years doing jobs that I loved.
I wish you all the best.