PDA

View Full Version : De/Anti-icing one man closed basket operated truck

Ahmadi
11th Jan 2012, 16:30
Could you please answer me the following questions?

1-How can a post check be done if only there is a one man closed basket truck and when the operator is not qualified for post checking while there is a time limit for hold over time or other timely factors ?

2- how can an over wing visual or tactile check be done for an A320 or higher/taller wing aircrafts?

3-is there a need for safety belt in a two man basket while de/anti ice operation ?

GlasgowBoy
11th Jan 2012, 19:25
I've been a member on here for a good while but never posted. I saw this question and, being an aircraft de-icer, I thought I'd try and answer your questions.:)

1) Here in Glasgow (actually, pretty much the UK overall) we have 1 guy driving the de-icing truck, and 1 guy up in the basket doing the spraying. The guy who's doing the spraying, as part of their basic de-icing training, is taught how to carry out a post check (or "tactile check" as we refer to it). It doesn't take long to carry out this check - like anything, the more you do it, the quicker and more efficient you become (whilst of course being careful!). Dunno about other companies, but if the guy in the basket (the sprayer) doesn't know how to carry out a post de-icing check, then he/she shouldn't be up there in the first place.

2) Over wing visual checks can sometimes be rather problematic. In GLA for instance, we de-ice the EK 77W, which ain't got the smallest of wings! It's hard to explain, but somehow you get used to carrying out a visual check for any contamination. When I first started, I wasn't really comfortable in carrying out a visual check, as it's your responsibility to ensure that the wings/stabs etc are free from any contamination. A tactile check, involves careful manoeuvring of the basket (and the boom) to get as close to the leading edge as possible - usually chest height. Close enough that you should be able to reach over the basket and scrape your fingers along the wing surface. Obviously, there shouldn't be any snow, ice etc on your fingers if you've done the job correctly!;)

3) Hell yes. If one of our guys goes up in the basket without a safety harness, then he/she will be fired immediately. Many a time I've been up in the basket, when the rig has had to stop suddenly, and if it weren't for the harness, I would've been spread out on the wing! It's like a car - you don't drive or travel as a passenger without wearing a seat-belt.

Sorry for my long answers, but I sincerely hope that they answer your questions.:O

Ahmadi
16th Jan 2012, 13:38
Dear GlascowBoy,
Many thanks for your fruitful reply.
I believe you helped me in this way, but only there is one thing more: How would it be if the post check is the responsibility of a line station maintenance staff(ground mechanic) while time and possibility of truck lowering,raising and maneuvering is limited?
Regards,
Ahmadi:)

GlasgowBoy
16th Jan 2012, 21:34
No problem - happy to help!:ok:

There's only been one incident where the engineer has requested to come up in the basket with myself - not because he doubted that the aircraft was free from contamination, but just because his boss was carrying out an audit on him.

Having said that, the aircraft had been night-stopping, and this was 2 hours prior to departure, so obviously didn't cause a delay.

When we've de-iced an aircraft which has been on a turn-round, there has never been a time when the engineer (or the captain) has requested to carry out a post-check him/her-self. They don't wish to delay the aircraft, and appreciate that the basket guy knows what he's doing, and they trust our judgement.

I don't know how it works in other places though. Sorry, if my reply is of no help!:)

Ahmadi
17th Jan 2012, 15:57
Dear GlasgowBoy,
your reply transferred a good experience again and thank you very much. that helps me.
Good luck!

Ahmadi
29th Jan 2012, 15:17
Dear GlasgowBoy,
Thanks for your cooperation. please help me with the following Questions:

1- I have only ONE truck when requested for De/Anti-icing of a Narrow body aircraft like fokker-100 or Airbus A320. How can I cover the situation from safety point of view when I have been asked for 2 truck. How can I persuade them? If not I can not supply the second truck. Some local auditors have requested the matter and the weather condition is not below zero in the year in that station.

2- what would be the dead line for me from lowest temperature point of view?

I remain and Regards