PDA

View Full Version : Which way to go? ATP + degree or ATP alone

Mr Fly
10th Jan 2012, 19:46
Hi all,

I know this was discussed earlier somewhere here, but I couldn't find answer that would fully answer my question, + times change, industry changes. I think it is not only interesting for me to know what people (that now do have aviation jobs) think about doing ATP+degree or ATP alone. And what are your thoughts, suggestions, not only those ''I would not do that because it's not worth it investing 70k or more into avia busines cuz it's risky...'' yes it's risky, but you can minimise that risk by getting more info and talking to people, listening to them, and that is why I am here. Maybe I just have registered, but I was reading, searching answers for quite a long time, not only on pprune.

So here is my situation:

In 2010, being 19 at a time, I tried to get into uni (aeronautical engineering degree with ATPL), even applied to military, but my exam mark was too low that is why I started PPL. Got JAA PPL licence in autumn 2011 and started ATP theory course (which I am doing right now, expecting to end it ir May 2012). Now as many people, I don‘t have enough money to finish what I‘ve started - way to fATPL. Yes I did a bad move by starting ATP theory (because clock started ticking) but what is done is done. So now I found 2 options how to get to fATPL:

1. Finish atp course, find any job and spend all of that money for flying. Realisticaly looking It would take about 2,5- 4 years (I look at economical situation of my country Lithuania). Even going abroad (which would give me more money) to work I would take abot the same time 2-3 years to make it happen.
Result:

2-4 years waisted of working unqualified job
fATP licence.

2. Finish atp course, retake exams and get into uni (Aeronautical engineering with flight dispatcher licence). + find a job to keep myself flying and step by step move closer to fATPL.
Result:

5 years,
Aeronautical engineering master,
fATPL,
flight dispatcher licence.
Will have to take ATPL exams in 2013, a year after finishing theory course.
And still 5 years to get those 1500 hours to validate ATPL.

I like 2 option more, I will have a degree and dispatch licence to fall on if everything goes west..
But question is will degree and dispach licence give me advantage when there will be time to find a pilot job? And what would you do being in my place?

Thank you for your time and opinion!