PDA

View Full Version : Old Approach Plates

JD2010
10th Jan 2012, 19:14
Does anyone know a source for old approach plates/procedures? I am specifically looking for the procedures used by Pan Am for approaches into Annette Island, Alaska (PANT) in 1947, or thereabouts.

Thanks.

atb1943
20th Jan 2012, 23:41
Hi,

I've only just seen your message.

I assume you are looking into Flight 923 in which case there would normally be copies in the accident investigation file. The NTSB would probably be your best bet.

I'm pretty certain PanAm would have been producing their own charts in 1947.

Hope this helps
brgds
Alan

JD2010
21st Jan 2012, 18:21
Thank you Alan,

Yes that is the accident I was checking on. I have the report but it does not include any approach charts. I am trying to figure out how the aircraft could have hit Tamgass Mountain on a southbound track. The location and direction of flight seems to make no sense to me. However, I have no idea what sort of approach was being used back then.

Thanks for the reply.

JD

atb1943
22nd Jan 2012, 00:09
Hi JD,

Have you tried contacting the people at Panamair.org? Contact Panamair (http://www.panamair.org/contact/contact.htm)

brgds
Alan

JD2010
23rd Jan 2012, 18:02
Thanks. I will give them a try and let you know how it comes out.

JD

JD2010
24th Jan 2012, 17:55
No luck withthe Pan Am site, but thanks for the steer.

JD

Above The Clouds
24th Jan 2012, 18:44
Does anyone know a source for old approach plates/procedures? I am specifically looking for the procedures used by Pan Am for approaches into Annette Island, Alaska (PANT) in 1947, or thereabouts.

I may have them, somewhere I have a book of approach plates from around that period published by the US Army Airforces with early ILS, VDF approaches etc. cannot guarantee anything but will have a look.

By George
26th Jan 2012, 02:28
I have a set of "JOINT ARMY NAVY RADIO FACILITY CHARTS" MARKED "JACSPAC" dated Feb 1st 1945 that covers the Pacific but not quite the area you're after. They must have had further coverage to the North East to Alaska. They were "Published by the Authority of the Commanding General Army Airforces by Headquarters, 7th Army Airways Communications System Wing". Marked "Secret" so don't tell anybody! This info might help in a Web Search. (these charts were used by the RAAF thoughout the Pacific.

wieesso
26th Jan 2012, 07:33
JD, have you seen this link

Full text of "Monthly catalog of United States Government publications" (http://www.archive.org/stream/monthlycatalogof551949unit/monthlycatalogof551949unit_djvu.txt)

mentiones the following

"8758 Accident investigation report, Pan American Airways, Annette Island,
Alaska, Oct. 26, 1947; adopted Mar. 21, 1949. [1949.] 5-fii p. il. 4"
[Processed.] f C 31.213 : An 71/3"

maybe they have the charts included that you're looking for...

Martin

Above The Clouds
26th Jan 2012, 09:11
JD

I may have them, somewhere I have a book of approach plates from around that period published by the US Army Airforces with early ILS, VDF approaches etc.

Found the book I mentioned in this earlier post, unfortunatly it deosn't cover that far north. It covers some fields on the east coast USA up through Canada then the Atlantic, UK and some near Europe. Dated 1945 it was used by US Army Airforces transiting to/from USA-Europe does show some interesting airports and approaches of the period many not here now.

JD2010
26th Jan 2012, 16:33
OK, thanks for the replies and thanks for looking. I will try that link, too, wieesso.

JD

dusk2dawn
27th Jan 2012, 08:16
With this very generic topic header I haste again to ask if any new readers would know where I can get my hands - even temporarily - on a copy of "PILOT HANDBOOK, NORTH ATLANTIC CROSSING - NORTHERN ROUTE" from 1943-44-45?