PDA

View Full Version : Militaria

Canadian Break
10th Jan 2012, 13:11
Gents, I know that there is someone on here who used to deal with militaria (SFFP?) but I can't for the life of me remember who, and I have a question I need answering. A Frenchman I work with is looking to buy a medal from the internet: it was awarded to a chap who was on the French Cruiser "Gaulois" during the Dardanelles Campaign. The inscription is puzzling and I hope you can help; it is

P.V. JEAN MRF CIRF "GAULIOS".

The RF and IRF are in superscript - but I don't know how do do that on PRUNE!

Thanks.

CB

Tankertrashnav
10th Jan 2012, 13:26
That may be me you are thinking about C-B, but unfortunately that's a new one on me. If there is any way you can send me a pic of the medal, or a link to where its on sale, send me a PM and I'll get back to you with my email address that you can send the details to.

As it stands I'm pretty much in the dark - sorry

Canadian Break
10th Jan 2012, 13:36
TTN - thanks for getting back to me so quickly. It would appear that the problem has now been solved. Apparently the French chap was on the French frcruiser "Gaulois" but for some reason was awarded a DSM by the Brits. In such cases I am led to believe that the medal would not have been inscribed, but it would appear that the medal was later inscribed with the guys name "P.V Jean", the name of his ship and his rank. MRF CIRF is apparently a mis-striking of the French abbreviation for Master Gunner (Master Cannionere or some such). The medal is for sale on e-bay of you are interested.

CB

Tankertrashnav
10th Jan 2012, 16:09
That is quite correct. The DSM, in common with other British gallantry medals was awarded in small numbers to foreign recipients and in those cases were issued unnamed, unlike medals awarded to British recipients. The mistakes in the unofficial naming are therefore not really surprising.

Out of interest I'd like a link to ebay if possible (don't worry, I shan't be bidding on it!).

Canadian Break
10th Jan 2012, 18:10
TTN, I will try to get the link from my French colleague tomorrow. CB.