PDA

View Full Version : Out of the Blue Two?

oldmansquipper
9th Jan 2012, 22:41
"Out of the Blue" (That excellent publication) resides in the smallest room in the house where T.O.T is often enriched by 2 or 3 anecdotes per sitting.

Unfortunately, it (the book, not necessarily the sitting) will be completed very soon and I will have to revert to SAGA mag or the local paper!

Is there a Vol II on the way - If not, why not and if so....

...are there plans for widening the source of contributors?

E.G. Although `only` an engineer, flying for pleasure 60s-00s, I wrote a couple of "I learnt about flying from that" true stories which were published in Air Clues and I am sure there are many other interesting snippets out there which could put a different slant on the good times..

So, Mr Spink - how about it? Anything that raises money for H4H must be good!:D

crystal10
9th Jan 2012, 22:47
resides in the smallest room

Wouldn't it be nicer and cheaper to wipe your backside with normal toilet paper?

Pontius Navigator
10th Jan 2012, 07:34
Second post and hit bottom. :(

foldingwings
10th Jan 2012, 13:55
A bit premature, old chap, the first editions of the first volume are only just flying off the shelves! There might even be a requirement for a second print run before any thought can be given to a Vol II.

As one of the contributors to Vol I, I know just how long it took to get this one off the ground (no pun intended) and am in contact with the 3 men behind its production; however, Cliff Spink is not one of them (only the Foreword writer)!

I am sure, if a second volume is to be produced, that a call to PPRuNe might just be a suitable avenue for a request for contributions although my pen has not been drained yet even after 4 tales in Vol I!

Foldie:cool:

Jollygreengiant64
10th Jan 2012, 15:19
Does anyone know if/when a fresh batch of volume 1 will be printed? Have had a copy pre ordered since before Christmas from Amazon and still no sign of it coming back into stock. From what I've heard, it sounds like a very good read.

foldingwings
10th Jan 2012, 15:33
JGG,

You will have it ordered from Amazon for the rest of your life as they are not currently able to get copies from the publishers. Reasons are explained here:

http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/472083-all-proceeds-aid-h4h-rafbf.html

but in simple terms, buy it from Amazon and they take their large % cut and the 2 charities lose out!

You need to cancel your order with Amazon and order direct from the publisher to:

a) obtain a copy

and

b) feed the 2 charities 100%

Publishers website etc is embedded within my first post on that link!

B Fraser
10th Jan 2012, 15:51
I have just finished reading it and amongst the first hand accounts of the Tower Bridge display and the Lightning accidental takeoff, there is an account of a Victor causing a certain royal personage some considerable distress. It's a cracking read.

One of the regulars on this site has plenty of stories that can be coaxed out over a whisky or three and he could fill a book on his own. I know he's reading the book at the moment so if he sees this message then his tales would help support a very worthy cause. I hope that this aspect is enough to overcome his natural modesty and the stories see daylight before long.

There's a PM on it's way to him Foldie.

Jollygreengiant64
10th Jan 2012, 16:04
Cheers, Foldingwings. Will do.

BEagle
16th Jan 2012, 15:36
Out of interest, Amazon are now cancelling peoples' orders and saying:
We regret to inform you that we have been unable to obtain the following item:

Ian William Cowie, et al "Out of the Blue: The Sometimes Scary and Often Funny World of Flying in the Royal Air Force, as Told by Some of Those Who Were There"

Our supplier has informed us that this item is no longer available. This item has now been cancelled from your order #*** and we can confirm that you have not been charged for it.

Please accept our apologies for any disappointment or inconvenience caused.

You may visit the product detail page(s) above to see if these item(s) are available from other sellers.

I have now challenged them to tell me if, in fact, it ever was available through them.

TorqueOfTheDevil
16th Jan 2012, 16:38
Not wishing to take away from a very worthy and enjoyable book, but the current edition should really be called Out Of The Blue 2 because the first was publised in the 80s: Out of the Blue : Laddie Lucas (editor) (http://www.flyingbooks.co.uk/acatalog/Out_of_the_Blue.html).

foldingwings
16th Jan 2012, 18:42
Aaah! But this one isn't edited by Laddie Lucas nor is it one of the music CDs (of which there are many) on offer if you enter Out of the Blue (eg ELO's Album) in Google.

Yours even more pedantically than ToTDevil!

Momoe
16th Jan 2012, 20:55
Jollygreengiant64, try this item 260930415900 on Ebay, 20 hours remaining!

foldingwings
17th Jan 2012, 05:35
Momoe,

That's not the volume he's looking for.

You need to follow this thread:

http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/472083-all-proceeds-aid-h4h-rafbf.html

Do try and keep up!

Foldie:ugh: