PDA

View Full Version : Frasca 142 Instruction

Airmagnet
9th Jan 2012, 00:54
Hi Guys,

Odd question with possible obvious answer(!)..... but..... what qualification(s) are needed to instruct on a FRASCA 142 for the purpose of building instrument time towards a PPL and / or instrument rating?

Thanks,

AM

PartBanannaClap
9th Jan 2012, 01:33
You'd need to have an instructors rating with IR approval. Also the sime would need to be approved by CASA and each person who will be conducting training on the sim would need to be signed off by a CASA representative as far as i'm aware

mcgrath50
9th Jan 2012, 02:41
If you are instrument rated I think you can use the sim by yourself to get IF time for recency. A bit like how an instrument rated pilot can act as safety pilot for another appropriately qualified pilot under the hood.

I'll have to double check the sim one though, I've never had the need to know that reg off by heart since the test! :ok:

Edit: Rereading that I'm less sure I'm right now...

muffman
10th Jan 2012, 13:06
Many of the conditions related to the use of synthetic trainers for the logging of IF time can be found in the specific synthetic trainer approvals issued by CASA to the relevant flying training organisations. You'll find these hanging on the wall near the box usually.

Typically, you'll find that CASA needs to approve the device, and in order for students to log any type of IF time, it will need to be operated by a flying instructor with an approval to teach on that device. That approval is usually issued by the CFI or somebody delegated by the CFI.

Restrictions can be placed on the instructors with regard to what type of training they may perform. For example, nothing would stop a Grade 3 instructor without any instrument training approval from teaching the sequences relating to a PPL or NVFR rating if the CFI has approved it. However, they would not be able to teach sequences related to an instrument rating without holding a grade of instructor rating that permitted it (assuming the device was approved for IFR training).

As for flying it by yourself, I've never seen a trainer approval that would permit that. They need to be operated by an instructor in accordance with the CASA approval, which is very specific about what purposes you can log instrument time for.