PDA

View Full Version : Living in Doha

airbuddy
8th Jan 2012, 16:37
Dear all,

I would be very happy to receive opinions from anybody who moved to Doha, particularly from those who brought wife and children over there, and know if life for them while "we" are away on the job is tolerable or not. Thanks a lot to all of you that will reply, in private also if you prefer.
Cheers

360BakTrak
9th Jan 2012, 04:21
Its pretty much what you make of it here in Qatar. My wife and kids have plenty to do; they have met plenty of friends through school and have quite a social life going to beaches, parks, etc. There are also more & more regular events here such as Tennis, Power Boat Racing etc. Obviously in the summer you are a little restricted with outdoor activities but that will be the same throughout the Gulf. We've been here 18 months and have no problems......we're in no rush to go back to Blighty!!

Cue the Doha bashing..................!!!!! :{ :E

PS....the driving is a little 'sporting' so get them a big car!!

jibba_jabba
9th Jan 2012, 04:59
Plenty to do if you have that mindset!

My mate and his wife loved the place and his wife didnt want to leave. So, the expat community is also great and sociable people will no doubt make plentyt of friends in the same position reasonably quickly!

I wouldnt stress about it greatly. Yes, its no europe or Oz but really, Europe is a short flight away :-)

360BakTrak
9th Jan 2012, 11:40
If you want to ask more about the place, feel free to PM me. :ok:

Evanelpus
9th Jan 2012, 11:56
Obviously in the summer you are a little restricted with outdoor activities but that will be the same throughout the Gulf.

Is this because of the heat or do you mean something else?

Thanks

Flyingstig
9th Jan 2012, 11:57
What is the feasibility of doing some commuting back to Europe if you are a 320 Captain?
We are at a stage where changing schools is not an option. A mix of them coming out to Doha and me going home would be ideal. Is that possible within the short haul roster structure?

360BakTrak
9th Jan 2012, 12:02
Evanelpus; because of the heat and, worse, the humidity. Its the latter that I find the worse bit!

Flyingstig; no idea but hopefully a Qatar pilot can answer that. From what I hear though the A320 crews get worked very hard, so it might be tricky. :confused:

FlyingCroc
9th Jan 2012, 12:02
No, especially not on the 320, thats for all Middle East Airlines.

Flyingstig
9th Jan 2012, 19:21
Ah, ok!
Thanks.:sad:

wapses
9th Jan 2012, 19:47
I spent a year there in 2002. Bored out of my skull. Bloody awful place.

360BakTrak
10th Jan 2012, 03:08
Well 10 years later its a rather different place!