PDA

View Full Version : THE big move..?!

ManualFlight
8th Jan 2012, 14:10
Good afternoon to all!

I am thankful for this forum which I am following now for a while. Thus I am thankful for all the information I gathered up to now.

Having read nearly 300++ pages of pros and cons concerning EK, QR and EY I came to the conclusion that I ask the community for their opinion.

My situation is as follows:

I am currently with the subsidary of an european legacy carrier, I am single, in my mid 30s, F/O, flying the Fokker 70/100 with >2600TT (>2300 jet). I had to work short-time for the last 18 month and from now on I am forced to work obligatory part-time. As 2012 will be a hard year for the industry and my company is doing everything but healthy, I might want to take the chance for "THE big move".

QR already accepted my application - waiting for interview date.
No pension scheme, a lot of flying and apparently a lot of unhappy people there (as far as my reading on the forum goes) - to name but a few cons

EK - application will be completed when I have received the original ATPL-papers from the authority. For me it seems the best choice (pension scheme etc) but I might be wrong.

EY - application sent despite I do not have the required rating. Although I have heard that people got invited without rating I am pessimistic about that one.

What each and every of these companies have in common: a fairly secure post for the medium-term. So that is the most important issue to me right now. I have bills to pay and I have no idea if I'll be able to continue to be able to after April...

I have been through the thread almost entirely. I am not asking about interview question or for which position each of you applied. Nor do I ask for a general receipt for happiness & prosperity....

The thing I am interested in is your general opinion. Your thoughts for a profile that I have, a hint of where I might get a better chance for a "good life" (whatever a good life means to somebody else).

YES, I am desperate. YES, I am aware that I still have a jet-job within Europe and YES I know for sure that all the up and down right here will -sooner or later- lead to some physical problems (if mentally not already in progress).

I appreciate any suggestions, thoughts and if you like to hit me now for posting that sort of thread - feel free to do so.

littlejet
8th Jan 2012, 16:13
EK, because you 're single! :ok:

John21UK
8th Jan 2012, 16:21
Why not consider Gulf Air?

slowjet
8th Jan 2012, 16:29
He's not THAT desperate !

John21UK
8th Jan 2012, 16:40
great mature respons. :D

givemewings
8th Jan 2012, 18:49
I think littlejet's been reading the 'Single Life' thread :E :ok: ;)

sasa320
8th Jan 2012, 20:48
You don't have the minimum total time for EK, so no chance.
You don't have a type for EY,....no chance.
Your only choice is QR. As you are desperate, it is really your unique option.
No need to continue this thread.

ManualFlight
8th Jan 2012, 21:13
Sasa, thanks for your reply.

As far as I understand I could be considered by EK since I am below 500 hours short of minimum requirement (2500 on modern jet) Okay, let's consider the Fokker 70/100 modern for a second ;-)

QR or EK or EY - I will have to leave Europe if I am kneen on economic stability in my life. Single or not - that was not the question. But it is an advantage at this stage of decison making...

FlyingCroc
8th Jan 2012, 22:11
Big move? Well what do you have to loose? You are an FO mid 30' with relatively low hours. Pension? there is NONE, even at EK, it is just a provident fund at end of service. QR or EY, same deal, I think QR is the better choice. If you have a job in Europe, I would recommend to stay there unless it goes bankrupt. If desperate take what they give you, you won't have a choice, take what you are offered. Good luck.