PDA

View Full Version : EASA regulations and doing a JAA PPL in the US

BerksFlyer
8th Jan 2012, 00:26
I have been planning on going to Florida to do my JAA PPL this summer, completing the theory exams at a local flying club prior to going out there.

However, reading about the new EASA regulations it seems this may no longer be a possibility as it talks about having to take each exam at an appropriate stage of your flying training. I suppose this won't stop you preparing for the exams then just sitting them at whenever EASA have deemed a suitable stage of your progress though. Am I correct in my thinking here or are there other considerations to be made (ie. timing of taking the exams as EASA kicks in 1st April(?))?

I am fairly confused about all this change of regulation so I may be wide of the mark with all this.

Finally, my plan being as it is, am I going to have to consider anything else as a result of this change of regulation?

Thankyou for your help.

Whopity
8th Jan 2012, 10:48
Whilst EASA becomes Law in April 2012, the CAA will not issue EASA licences until 1 July 2012. Existing RFs who currently conduct PPL training will have until April 2015 to comply fully with the EASA requirements which include becoming approved as an ATO. Part of their approval requirements will be to detail how and when examinations can be taken.

Once approved as an ATO, schools will have to comply fully, but the transition to ATO will be gradual, and if previous experience is anything to go by, will be left until 7th April 2015.

You are not likely to be affected in the short term however; the PPL exams were scheduled to change in September 2011, this has been delayed and may be to facilitate alignment with EASA requirements, which stipulate administrative arrangements for exams that cannot be fulfilled using the current UK system.

BillieBob
8th Jan 2012, 16:11
Bear in mind also that those organisations whose principal place of business is outside of an EU country will be administered directly by EASA. Whilst the inspection process will probably be sub-contracted to a national authority (not necessarily the UK), the approval will be issued (or not) by EASA.

BerksFlyer
9th Jan 2012, 00:27
Cheers guys.

So as I understand your comments, I shouldn't have any problem with my plan of action.