PDA

View Full Version : Ouch USAF style, ( redundancies )

NutLoose
6th Jan 2012, 23:40
Air Force Terminations | AMVETS Legal Clinic | Military Retirement Benefits | The Daily Caller (http://dailycaller.com/2011/11/25/military-advocates-decry-illegal-early-terminations-of-157-air-force-majors/)

Not good is it.

Chapman University has taken up the cause of several terminated majors. Major Kale Mosley, a combat pilot who has served for six months shy of 20 years, is one of their clients. Mosley has served in 13 combat zones and was recently deployed to Libya with only 30 hours notice. Shortly thereafter he was sent to Iraq.

“It was on the same day of this Iraq deployment that the Air Force gave him a pink slip,” said Rotunda.

“The issues of military personnel are more pertinent than ever with increased combat zones worldwide, from Libya and Uganda to Afghanistan and Iraq,” said Josh Flynn-Brown, a Post-Doctoral Clinical Fellow at the Military Institute, who is handling Mosely’s case. “It is a time to honor our heroes, the men and women who drop everything to fight for our country. We honor them not by handing them a pink slip as they are shipped off.

The advocates are calling on members of Congress to institute a Temporary Early Retirement Program, as they did during the draw-down in the 1990s to offer “pro-rated benefits for those officers who, for one reason or another, fall shy of 20 years"

Scuttled
7th Jan 2012, 00:10
It's disgusting and it is affecting all ranks. The US military is dismissing, arguably constructively, many personnel who were signed on for 20 year engagements. This is the earliest departure point that qualifies personnel for a pension. Those who leave before that point get nothing, ever.

I've got several personnel who have been selected for the boot who have less than 2 years left to serve. There is no appeal. One of them left for a 15 month IA to Afghanistan last month (edit: Sorry, this guy actually has just under 4 years left to go, but has been selected for early retirement). I have been hoping that a test case/class action would be put together. I wish them all the luck in the world.

This treatment of US personnel makes the UK military redundancy policy look very generous indeed.

TBM-Legend
7th Jan 2012, 00:42
I have a friend who was RIF'd after the Vietnam war with 6 months to go to retirement. He was a Major and wound up doing time in the Army rReserve as a Staff Sgt to work towards getting his retirement pension. Big machines run on numbers not names unfortunately....

Bit like the kids who signed on for pilot training only to be binned without any regard for their hopes and aspirations.

galaxy flyer
7th Jan 2012, 01:02
Doesn't 'sanctuary' kick in? I know if a reservist reaches 18 years of AD service, they are in sanctuary, put on AD until reaching 20 years.

What gives?

GF

Dengue_Dude
7th Jan 2012, 14:27
Typical shabby trick played upon professionals by politicians and their flunkies.

I can't believe I was taken in for all those years . . . I feel sorry for anyone in this position, no matter who they are.

At least in the UK Armed Forces, having served 18 years would give at least a deferred pension (unless I'm totally out of touch).

Best of luck . . .

A2QFI
7th Jan 2012, 15:38
It was rumoured, at the the time of the RAF's big purge in the 70s that officers were selected on the basis of what they were "Costing" the Exchequer, Officers with children at boarding school were top of the list, it seemed