PDA

View Full Version : 11 dead in balloon crash

Te_Kahu
6th Jan 2012, 20:26
Terrible news from NZ this morning

Carterton Hot Air Balloon Crash - national | Stuff.co.nz (http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/6224922/Hot-air-balloon-crash-near-Carterton-kills-11)

Nga mihi aroha, moe mai ra

TK

T28D
6th Jan 2012, 23:35
Really bad news, couples out to experience silent flight and disaster strikes.

Always thought taking an open fire airborne was not a good idea.

tinpis
7th Jan 2012, 01:45
Terrible.
Was commenting just last night to the missus its not on my bucket list
If you're unsure search "hot air balloon" in Youtube

Buntybunny
7th Jan 2012, 12:40
Deepest sympathy to relatives and friends. Horrendous accident, I have only thought of peeps falling out of basket, guess fire is a greater risk. Treatment of materials to render them inflammable would be a good thing to consider.

My son made a model hot air balloon which was launched by Prof. Heinz Wolf in the science museum South Kensington - burst into flames halfway to the ceiling OMG!

Life can be so precarious, RIP.

ENFP
7th Jan 2012, 13:40
Horrible, tragic. Condolences to all the families concerned.

BBC News - Eleven dead in New Zealand hot air balloon crash (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-16450659)

WestWind1950
7th Jan 2012, 13:45
it's a horrific incident and has hit the news in my world (Germany) as well. Being a balloonist I am particularly interested in it.

It is not unusual for balloons to catch fire in an accident or incident, I know of a few. We just had one last summer in my country... hard landing with a blimp, tank burst open, a spark caused it to catch fire, killing the pilot (pax's were able to jump out at the last minute).

A few years ago a balloon flew near a high power radio transmitter mast. Somehow a spark transfered to the balloons electronics, causing the balloon to catch fire... killing all on board. Now all balloonist are told to avoid those masts if at all possible.

With hot-air balloons they run on propane gas, sometimes only a spark is needed to set it off. There is no way inflammable materials would help.... the propane can literally explode especially if one of the lines tear off and gas escapes.

Luckily these accidents are rare... but no less something to be investigated in and avoided in the future.

A very sad day for all balloonists...

Soup_Dragon
7th Jan 2012, 16:10
Not unusual at all. This happened a few miles from me a few years ago - possibly due to the fact that the damned things were skimming along at rooftop level after their launch.

Air balloon in power cable crash near Devizes (From The Wiltshire Gazette and Herald) (http://www.gazetteandherald.co.uk/news/towns/devizesheadlines/4018286.Air_balloon_in_power_cable_crash_near_Devizes/)

Tragic events in NZ - but what's stopping it from happening again over here?

Lasiorhinus
8th Jan 2012, 04:33
Treatment of materials to render them inflammable would be a good thing to consider.

By the looks of it, they're already pretty inflammable. Non-flammable would be safer.

HotDog
8th Jan 2012, 06:11
I have several hundred hours of hot air balloon flying with the greatest respect for power lines, especially high tension ones. This balloon would not have caught fire if it didn't fly into power lines. May they rest in peace after a horrible death.

ampan
11th Jan 2012, 03:08
I know nothing about hot-air ballooning, but it seems inherently unsafe. No control of the track, and minimal control of altitude, in that you can ascend by firing the burner. I'd sooner be latched to a parachute.

Wally Mk2
11th Jan 2012, 05:00
'ampan' I do tend to agree there but all aviation endeavors are a risk to some degree. I guess it's a personal thing, I wouldn't go up in a HAB or become a lawn dart for that matter as to me the risk is unacceptable but that's just me.

Track over the ground is controllable in a limited way with a balloon (by varying ALT) but it's fickled that's for sure due winds being unpredictable at times.
Many times early morning whilst flying out of EN there would be balloons heading for the airport coming from the gardens of the CBD (to land) & some just made it even to an area as large as EN.Scary stuff, slightly crazy if you ask me:E

Wmk2

Jabawocky
11th Jan 2012, 05:29
And no engines wally :eek:

A big heater to keep you warm though.