PDA

View Full Version : Airbus A319/320 Nimrod? glas cockpit display units

Dave_Davidson
6th Jan 2012, 10:28
Merry belated Christmas everyone!!:}

I am studying Aircraft engineering and for my degree project this year I am rebuilding a Nimrod cockpit from scrapped bits and bobs which can then be used as teaching aid for first years. I have 6 standard 9" LCD displays which to my knowledge are used in the aircraft mentioned in the title. I also have a pc with project magenta simulator software. The idea is to have a mockup of the cockpit with working displays but in order to connect the displays to pc i need to come up with display driver.
What I need help with is I dont have the pinout diagram for this display
So that I know what exactly each of the pins does i.e. which are power which are databusses and so on.
I wonder if any of the engineers here would help me with that
perhaps someone who works with avionics on Airbus and have acces to such information.

Sonic Bam
6th Jan 2012, 20:08
Am I missing something? There was me thinking the Nimrod was based on the Comet airframe but it is actually an A319/320? Learn something new every day ...

NutLoose
7th Jan 2012, 11:56
Nimrod is a Comet, but the stillborne one had an updated cockpit using modern displays I think you will find.

Sonic Bam
7th Jan 2012, 19:35
Yes ...... and ........:confused:

NutLoose
8th Jan 2012, 13:41
The new build Nimrod MRA 4 with new engines and wings mounted on the old Nimrod fuselage ( comet) that we're scrapped had a modern instrument fit in it that was flat panel displays, commonly used in airbuses etc..

Kuchan
8th Jan 2012, 17:33
What I need help with is I dont have the pinout diagram for this display
So that I know what exactly each of the pins does i.e. which are power which are databusses and so on. .

Wiring diagram on latest A319/320 would give you in details the exact pins connections to the 6 displays, MFDs, NDs, ECAMs and associate hardware etc. Ask any LAE for a Wiring CD in either PDF or AirN@v format.

NutLoose
8th Jan 2012, 18:35
Errrr, that IS what he is doing on here

PierreH
9th Jan 2012, 21:09
I have 6 standard 9" LCD displays which to my knowledge are used in the aircraft

Nimrod/A320 uses Thales 6"x6" displays (refers to useful area not external dimension).

Check the Thales website for specs- http://www.thalesgroup.com/Portfolio/Documents/fiche_eis2_en_pdf/?LangType=2057

Dave_Davidson
16th Jan 2012, 11:20
Thank you for all the replies guys!
@Nutloose yes and yes, spot on :}
@ Fargo you would be a Hero!!! Ive been trying for so long!
The serial number is C19264FA02 it is Manufactured by Thales Avionics, as Pierre pointed out, the problem is I have already contacted them and they pretty much laughed and kindly refused to release the information.. Because of the fact that the display was used in military aircraft. I have almost a complete cockpit with instruments and it would be such a shame if it just lied in my UNI basement and gathered dust..

Thanks again and sorry I was quite for few days but I wasnt getting any mail saying that somebody replied

Dave_Davidson
16th Jan 2012, 11:21
Oh and yes Fargo I am 100% sure they are LCD
I would include photos but i dont see option to attach photos anywhere

Dave_Davidson
16th Jan 2012, 22:03
First of all thanks a tonne Fargoo!
You were right again the military ones change the model number, and as it turns out, unfortunately the displays differ too. They are similar but different if it makes any sencse. The list is long :D The LCD panel and backlight are the same type but different size and resolution, the LRU case is different and the layout of pcb's and outputs is changed. Also the all important outputs at the back are different. (main signal plug and power plug) I guess that signals are the same but pins and layout are all swapped around leaving me to guess :/ The displays from your airbus fleet are capable of processing video signal.. if i can only find that in my displays I am good to go :D
Your manual still comes very usefull as it at least gives me an insight to what I am dealing with.. And hopefully I will be able to determine...
If my idea wouldnt work with your displays then it wont work with mine and that will give me grounds for budget and brand new VGA ready lcd I could put in original LRU unit from Nimrod :8

Dave_Davidson
17th Jan 2012, 22:54
Yes it would save me weeeeks, I will meet electronics guys tomorrow and we will go through your manual, see where it gets us, in the mean time project superviseor is ordering off the shelf lcd for me :}
It will work but it would be so good to get the original going.. I mean there is thousands of pounds worth of equipment going to waist there, how could they just rip it all apart with JCB's, :ugh:
Anyways if anyone is interested I will post updates if and when there is some progress