PDA

View Full Version : FI(R) Rating for 2012

KermitRulesOK
5th Jan 2012, 17:41
Hi guys,

I finished an Integrated course of flight training in December 2010, since then the only interview I've had was with Ryanair, which I was unfortunately unsuccessful at.

To pass the time I've been in full time employment and flying recreationally at weekends. I've saved up enough to do a FI(R) rating with contingency left over to live for a while longer... However I'm only 21 and I'm not terribly concerned about money at this stage of my life, I just really want to be a part of the wonderful (and fairly frustrating) industry that is aviation.

My plan was to work part time at my job for 3 days a week to keep the money coming in and then have 4 days to dedicate to doing the FI(R) rating and subsequently any FI work I can get my hands on after.

Any suggestions on where is a good place to approach to do the training? (I live in the Midlands) Also, if anyone has any other pearls of wisdom for low hour guys in my situation it would be much appreciated. I could always save for a Type Rating, however there is not a guaranteed job either and having a TR with 0 hours on type could be an expensive mistake...

Cheers :ok:

fwjc
5th Jan 2012, 21:29
Leicester have a good reputation for the FI(R). They're pretty accommodating when it comes to putting a course together around the hours you've mentioned, and their prices are very reasonable.

Rithalic
7th Jan 2012, 06:38
similar to you i finished integrated in feb 11 and didnt have much luck at either of my airline interviews. ive been instructing in the uk since october and about to start a new instructing job overseas. ive loved every single second of it so far. get your rating, get a job and get cracking. you wont regret it. such good fun. visit your local clubs, see what their requirements are for new instructors, but ultimately (much like your initial training) you've got to take a punt and nike (just do it). oh and be willing to travel to where the work is, the pay isn't going to impress you, the bank manager or anyone else; but it's a start!

you will find lots of threads in the instructors & examiners forum about where is a good place to do the fic (it seems a lot of people are considering the instructing route at the moment) very important to get a good fic instructor so ask around, usually you'll find that the instructors at a club may have been trained by the fic instructor there so ask them how they found it / what the instructor was like.

and good to hear youve been flying, you have to have completed 5 hours in the preceding 6 months before the pre-entry skills test so make sure you've got those done.

if you have any questions then pm me, more than happy to help.

good luck with it all.