PDA

View Full Version : AFR in Melb

VH-XXX
5th Jan 2012, 00:37
Gents / ladies, not your usual flying school question, I'm looking for an establishment to to my AFR, preferably Melbourne, happy to hit the outer suburbs.

I despise:

- Companies that say 1 hour isn't enough and it will take 3 hours
- The 30 question mini exam that I usually get with 4 weather forecast decodes
- The condescending instructor telling me that I am responsible for the safety of my passengers and that private pilots are the most dangerous because they don't follow the rules
- Somewhere that doesn't charge $355 per hour for a well used 172

Suggestions? Perhaps someone knows a nice instructor that they can recommdended that isn't out to prove that he knows more than I do by demonstrating a better stall than mine.

Wanderin_dave
5th Jan 2012, 00:54
XXX - I did mine a while ago with Gerrard Lappin thru Latrobe Valley Aero Club. He's likely out doing ag work with the way things are for the aggies, but if he isn't I thoroughly recommend him.

We did it in 1.7 (he said we were right to go home after .8, but I was having too much fun). A bit of theory, after that he left it very much in my hands as to what I wanted to work on. $$$ were reasonable.

I did it in their C180, they have all the usual tin cans plus a 2 seat Pitts if you're not B.Y.O.

PartBanannaClap
5th Jan 2012, 04:22
Definatly recommend Gerard Lappin. He may be around at the moment for the fire season. Give Latrobe Valley aero club a buzz though as their CFI has recently moved onto bigger and faster things and i'm unsure as to their present CFI situation.

You won't get the usual bull with Lappin, a very down to earth knowledgable bloke who prefers practcal over theory. Might even teach you and thing or two

VH-XXX
5th Jan 2012, 05:10
I know GL very well. We have an interesting relationship.

Good to hear that the CFI moved on if you're referring to the other G. That place can do better than his attitude..

jas24zzk
5th Jan 2012, 09:14
You could always give Bob Boyd or Dick Gower a poke in the eye.
Yarra Valley Flight Training. 9739-1406

YCEM Based.

PartBanannaClap
5th Jan 2012, 22:06
XXX Thats a bit harsh isn't it. Hang around that place long enough and it has a tencendy to suck the life outta a CFI/CP when the commitee wants to run the place like a boys club, not spend money unless dragged kicking and screaming by the instructors and yet turn around and complain that student numbers are dropping.

GT is a great bloke in my books. All of the instructors there are.

FokkerInYour12
5th Jan 2012, 22:13
FYI $355 dual for a C172 is probably closer to the going business rate.

I know from experience that a similar aircraft being charged out at around $250/hr just keeps its head above water when you incorporate all overheads.

Anybody charging much less is probably not going to be in business for the long haul (although I guess you are just after an AFR, not a marriage)

VH-XXX
5th Jan 2012, 22:45
Happy to pay the going rate, but not to be extorted. To be honest that rate was plucked from my head so it's probably from a few years ago. That might well be the average these days which is ok if that's the go.

XXX Thats a bit harsh isn't it.

You are entitled to your opinion and I respect that. My problems stemmed from when he took office at the start and he suffered a severe case of CFIitis of the power hungry kind. It's pretty common. Unfortunately I copped his wrath for years because I stood up to his crap initially.

PartBanannaClap
6th Jan 2012, 00:42
You've clearly known him longer than I have. I never saw or spoke to anyone who had any issue for lack of a better term with him until you've mentioned it.

Another thought would be Barry over at Leongatha?

VH-XXX
10th Jan 2012, 10:35
Went to one of the bigger Moorabbin flying schools and arranged the AFR.

It was an interesting experience checking with each school for availability and price. Massive differences in aircraft prices, procedures including 30 question exams and W&B's, also didn't realise that the CAAP suggests that the flight should be 2 hours in order to cover the requirements (apparently). Previously I was always told it was 1 hour only and that's what's in my logbook. One mob wanted 3 hours of flying, engineering papers and an hour of ground theory!

Agreed that further education is a good thing but sometimes you feel like you are being taken for a little bit of a ride.

uncle8
10th Jan 2012, 14:19
Fly up to SHT, Nathan Muller is your man, highly professional, very friendly, country atmosphere, no bull ****.

NNB
10th Jan 2012, 23:34
XXX
send me a PM (or ring me) as you already know a TDN driver that does AFRs
Blue skies
NNB