PDA

View Full Version : Any integrity in aviation industry?

LexAir
4th Jan 2012, 02:54
Here is a quote recently published on another thread:

"There is not a lot of integrity in this industry from top to bottom."

This is a challenging statement and one I think is worthy of discussion and comment.

T28D
4th Jan 2012, 08:30
The lack of integrity starts with the regulator, who in the Industry can be held accountable when the regulator continually oversteps the bounds of proprietary and decency, let alone common respect for those they regulate.

Integrity is a "big" concept, along with truth, ethics and professional behaviour.

The Industry at large is responsible, the regulator not so !!!!!!!!!

Kharon
4th Jan 2012, 08:31
Short answer.

Long answer - Nope, nope nope.

What's your point. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/puppy_dog_eyes.gif http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/confused.gif :rolleyes:

Nothing personal - couldn't resist it, that's all. :Dhttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

CASA Integrity Poll (http://www.kwiksurveys.com?s=OCLNNH_eda4d7e5)

Worrals in the wilds
4th Jan 2012, 10:02
How many industries do have any integrity left?

When brown nosing and short term bonuses are more productive than making good decisions, integrity goes the way of the thylacine; rumoured to exist in the wild, but never spotted by reliable witnesses.

When almost every major company in the country is either overseas owned or run by the same few superannuation companies (who are run by the same few people) all that will matter is the short term bottom line, not the long term viability of the organization. By the time it crashes and burns due to lack of resources and inneffective board decisions, the super clique will have grabbed their money and run.

When 'management' becomes a specific career exclusively populated by twenty somethings with degrees who flit between companies wreaking havoc and moving on (as opposed to a place for smart and effective workers to progress to) there will be an uncrossable chasm between operations and management. Neither side trusts or respects the other, so there will be no effective communication about what needs to be achieved. Often brown nosing is effective because the people above the brown noser are ignorant about the company's operations, so they are vulnerable to being told they're awesome and blind to the flaws in the strategy.

These problems are not exclusive to aviation by a long shot. Live fast, earn heaps, move on before they find the bodies. That's the 21st century management mantra. Integrity doesn't come into it. There are companies (some in aviation) that avoid this process, but you don't tend to hear about them. One thing is for sure; they're not grounding the fleet or paying their operational staff less than the award.

T28D
4th Jan 2012, 11:25
Don't confuse Integrity or the lack of it with Greed

Counter-rotation
4th Jan 2012, 11:29
Speaking for myself, I know plenty of people in this industry with integrity beyond reproach. So to answer your question, I would say "yes, there is certainly integrity to be found in the aviation industry".

Sadly, I also know plenty of people who I would say don't know the meaning of the word...

Hopefully people who know me consider that I have integrity - if not, then I am doing something wrong.

Lexair, why do you ask the question? Some event or situation perhaps? I would - without wanting to sound too cliched - say: "Be the change you want to see in the world (or in the industry, in this case)"...

You won't regret it.

CR.

ForkTailedDrKiller
4th Jan 2012, 11:46
I have hung around GA in Oz and NZ for the last 40 years.

IMHO, Number of scumbags = Number of good, honest operators!

Don't think things have changed much over the years.

On second thoughts, yes they have! There are now more scumbags in CASA!

Dr :8

ramble on
4th Jan 2012, 16:40
Have a look at the story about a family company;
Kennards Hire -google "Kennards Hire staff bonus" etc

Well done to that family.

And although you can only rent loyalty, good treatment of staff lasts a life time and can cross generations. In the 60s and 70s my father employed many new immigrants and people down at luck and occasionally they still pop up and show great respect and share wonderful memories. That has got to be worth more than a quick buck.

The current generation of corporate greed sellout doesn't leave much of a legacy or goodwill to humanity.

I can only hope that the CEOs that feather their nests, foster ruthless cronyism and ladder climbing, and have destroyed lives of working families shall get their just rewards - the biography of Jack Welch ex GE CEO just went in the trash where it belonged.

mcgrath50
4th Jan 2012, 22:35
There are people with integrity out there. I've met some great people in Aviation who are always happy to offer me some advice or give me a hand.

I agree with forkie the numbers are equal or there abouts.

PA39
5th Jan 2012, 00:55
I really don't believe aviation to be any different from any other business or Industry'. There is an unscrupulous element in all games. I've been into everything except politics and that is where you'll find 'em.....unscrupulous liars that feather their own nest at someone elses expense (ours).

As far as the "regulators" go, they are just beaurocrats trying to justify their meagre existence. I learned from a very young age (16) not to let ANYONE stand over you. If you were in the wrong...fix it, if you were in the right, stand your ground and have the power of your own convictions. Dept of this, Dept of that and CASA was no exception, I learned to yell and scream just as hard as they, and to tell them to get nicked. Thats how I got through ok.....so far, fingers x'd.

Pinky the pilot
5th Jan 2012, 01:29
What Forky said.:ok:

Aviation in Australia is not really all that large an industry and it's been my experience that when an individual or a company has been found to lack integrity, word of that generally gets around.

And eventually one fine day, karma strikes!