PDA

View Full Version : Fraser Island

flywatcher
4th Jan 2012, 00:52
Another little incident on the island this morning?

spinex
4th Jan 2012, 02:31
Scarevan?

Reports say EFATO on Eastern Beach, south of Happy Valley, pilot and 4 pax, no serious injuries.

spinex
4th Jan 2012, 03:30
Saw an update, seems it was 1+3 pax on a joyride from the beach at Eurong. Aircraft reported as having "rolled over" when it landed back on the beach, but injuries sufficiently minor so as to be treated by paramedics on site only. :ok: tourists are scarce enough as it is.

brucewangstaff
4th Jan 2012, 12:17
Can't say I'm surprised! Did the poor guy actually lose power or was the strip too short, hit a runner or soft sand and flipped it? Anyone have more info??

frigatebird
5th Jan 2012, 04:31
Can't say I'm surprised!

Why be surprised?
Anyone with a short checkout and current knowledge of the prevailing beach conditions, can handle a tide-out landing onto, and takeoff from, a suitable stretch of beach.
Like anywhere though, if you have an engine failure after takeoff, you have to cope with what is still available to you - and it may not be as favourable for a good outcome.
If there wasn't so much red-tape these days with beach landings, there would be more pilots able to enjoy the remoter places as we did in past years, just as safely.
A mate had a linkage on one side of a manual flap set for takeoff, fail on departure from Eurong on one occasion. It retracted, and as the 182 started to roll at dot feet, he quickly retracted the flap lever, retracting the other to regain control. Like any departure, it pays to keep your wits active close to the ground, - till you can relax a little with a bit of altitude.
In all my operations at Eurong and Yidney, I only recall one instance of striking a deeper-than-personal-limit ledge at the edge of a freshwater runout into the surf. The undercarriage was not harmed on the compression and rebound though.
It is alright to roll through seepages, as long as you don't stop, and the water is not so deep on one side as to make you swing because of drag on the deeper side. ( same as with a 4 wheel drive, really). If you do park on the beach, look for the drier areas where the soldier crabs throw up their little balls of sand as they burrow. They will not dig where the tunnel will fall in behind them because the sand is too dry or too wet, so if you park there temporarily while it remains moist, you won't bog. Don't select an alighting area that is above the tide coverage area, or it will be too dry and powdery, -and don't land too close to the surf where there is too much water still in the sand, or you will bog as you slow down.

We used to land on a half falling-tide and fish for tailor till the tide was half-in again before departing. The charters for the perishables and pax were the quickest way in and out for the others with an interest there. Good times.. back then..before the red-tape bullsh!t.

spinex
5th Jan 2012, 05:14
I see a local paper has a photo of a poor little C172 (ZWR) lying on its back, on the beach.

j3pipercub
5th Jan 2012, 07:29
I can hear Gerry valve bouncing from here. Warms the cockles of my heart, almost as much as when he got flattened out the front of the beachcomber hotel...

Jabawocky
5th Jan 2012, 08:14
j3 you crack me up at times..... :D He does seem to have a wide and varried fan club.

frigatebird
5th Jan 2012, 12:27
Have put this one up before in another thread..

Sandy Cape Lighthouse supply run (east side of the Cape - 1988)

The little fella along for the ride on the left, is in his late 20's now, but has yet to take lessons on the family 'bird..

http://i784.photobucket.com/albums/yy129/bird__photo/BN2/scan0001-1.jpg

Runaway Gun
5th Jan 2012, 14:36
Hmmmm - does the faceless pilot have Hunters in his logbook?

frigatebird
5th Jan 2012, 20:03
Ahh, you mean Stuart..?
no, that was his boss..

brucewangstaff
6th Jan 2012, 05:06
Frigatebird,

I was referring to how a particular company was run, not the risks of beach operations.