PDA

View Full Version : Free London Olympics airspace briefing - London 10 March

fulham fan
3rd Jan 2012, 14:36
The CAA and the Royal Institute of Navigation have joined together to host an Olympic airspace briefing event: News (http://olympics.airspacesafety.com/news)

dont overfil
3rd Jan 2012, 14:41
That's great news. :( It's not just London that will be affected.

I wonder if they will consider a briefing 400 miles north of London?

D.O.

NazgulAir
3rd Jan 2012, 14:49
Perhaps an idea to put the briefing on YouTube?

That way, anyone who flies regularly in UK airspace might benefit from it, also those who are based abroad...

mad_jock
3rd Jan 2012, 14:56
thats way way to sensible.

And also the security lot wouldn't like that. God forbid anyone will actually know what the system is. They would then have a chance of complying with it. Which would then mean flights might take place. Which would defeat the whole purpose of the restrictions anyway. So they would then have to change it and not tell anyone.

NazgulAir
3rd Jan 2012, 15:13
heh MJ, that's way way too cynical.

fulham fan
3rd Jan 2012, 15:23
Hi, smaller briefings are happening all around the UK (the ASI team were at the Birmingham Flying Show) but as the main restrictions are in the south east that's where the major event is. Plans are afoot to stream it live on line and have it available to watch afterwards as well.

NazgulAir
3rd Jan 2012, 15:30
Plans are afoot to stream it live on line and have it available to watch afterwards as well.
That's great news, ff. Hopefuly that will become available as a link on self-briefing sites.

WorkingHard
3rd Jan 2012, 15:31
Mad Jock does one detect a note of cynicism in your response? Our beloved lawmakers would be so hurt by this!

Shell Management
3rd Jan 2012, 15:37
The SE of England will be closed to you and protected with Typhoons, SAMs and helicopter gunships. Get over it!

mad_jock
3rd Jan 2012, 15:45
Well having worked with various security types and having to deal with special branch who were determined that carrying a set of instrument plates on an aircraft was a huge breach of security, they had a bit of a heart attack when i showed them where they could get them for free online.

I suspect that the majority of security types want the whole of that airspace locked down.

Publishing security procedure publically makes it fundemtally flawed and they well know that.

I suspect that something will happen in the days leading up to opening day and they will shut it. There won't be any media coverage of the small outrage because the olympics will be on. It will be stalled in the courts until after the event. Then they will start working on getting it invoked on a rolling perm baises for "national security" for any event which will require less and less excuse as time goes on.

Not that it will really matters because I think the Iran thing will kick off at the same time so the fuel price will be going through the roof.

Genghis the Engineer
3rd Jan 2012, 15:53
Publishing security procedure publically makes it fundemtally flawed and they well know that.

There are two parts to security procedures however.

(1) What you expect people to do so that their behaviour and credentials can be monitored and verified.

(2) What the security services will do to check up on everybody.

(1) should be published for efficiency, but (2) should not be published because the knowledge allows bad people to work around them.

Surely our security services understand this?

G

mad_jock
3rd Jan 2012, 16:24
nah what they want is veting without the person knowing.

Which is of course impossible in large numbers

They know that they can't actually engage a small aircraft infringing any airspace. Be it with SAM's, typhoons or gunships. The wreckage would have to fall somewhere and the rules of engagment would be a nightmare. Even if someone did suddenly head in they wouldn't have a hope in hell of getting them. Again something they know.

I think the cunning plan is to kid everyone until the last moment then when they can't do anything shut the lot down. They security services would be more than happy with more than 50% of the flying schools going out of buisness in the SE.