PDA

View Full Version : Baggers and the boys from Hereford

airborne_artist
3rd Jan 2012, 13:06
I couldn't find this in the Telegraph online, but it was in Mme Artist's morning paper.

Good article showing how military skills/capabilities can transfer to meet the needs of the time.

Not all the "boys from Hereford" are based there or full-time ;)

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll180/airborne_artist/baggers.jpg

gijoe
3rd Jan 2012, 13:53
AA,

I give it about 30mins before a light blue comeback of:

'Aaah....but ASTOR can do all of that and better etc. and another thing..'

G:ok:

Archimedes
3rd Jan 2012, 14:14
Good show, although I can't help wondering whatever happened to the 'we do not comment on the operations of our Special Forces' line...

(gijoe - I imagine that the light blue comeback might be to point to the number of DFCs awarded to RAF SH mates while supporting the SF. And the CGC, for that matter... [all public domain if you know where to look before anyone worries])

gijoe
3rd Jan 2012, 14:31
I never said anything about that good show (and 'twas good) and, as you say, all in the public domain.

It is the self-advertising, paranoid, rabbit-in-the-headlights lightblue that makes me laugh!

G:ok:

Seldomfitforpurpose
3rd Jan 2012, 15:19
paranoid

As you felt so compelled to mention it are you really really sure it's the lite blue that are paranoid :p:p:p

And "It was just a fishin trip" ain't going to cut it :p:p:p

cobaltfrog
3rd Jan 2012, 15:59
Not new news this MO - Was used in TELIC in 2003!

JulieAndrews
3rd Jan 2012, 16:15
obviously new news to gijoe............been going on for quite some time, smug smug smug................

Pontius Navigator
3rd Jan 2012, 16:47
I thought another aircraft used the same radar as the SKW?

Trim Stab
3rd Jan 2012, 17:14
Nice for the RN to get a job to shout about for their wobbly Slow-Kings, but there are cheaper, faster, multiply longer-range, less obtrusive and quieter fixed wing solutions available for rental that did the same sort of job rather well in Telic.

thunderbird7
3rd Jan 2012, 17:40
Would this be a good time to turn this into another 'why did they ever ground the mighty 'rod' thread?

Whose radar was it originally anyway? ;)

Tourist
3rd Jan 2012, 17:41
Trim Stab

No, actually there are not.

There is currently nothing else that does what the freak show does as well as it does, and certainly was nothing else in Telic that was "cheaper, faster quieter"

That is why the US has been very keen to buy the system on board and stick it in a V22.

Or if you know something different tell us all....?

PN

No , not really except in the loosest sense. Even the Mk2 was different enough. The Mk7 bears very little similarity.
Then again, you are on the same wavelength as the telegraph
"designed to hunt submarines":rolleyes:

Pontius Navigator
3rd Jan 2012, 17:42
TB7, slow there, almost an hour slow :)

Widger
3rd Jan 2012, 18:50
Whilst it is nice for the baggers to get some well deserved public recognition, I echo Archimedes sentiment. In the willy waving that is ongoing at the moment in the search for financial support for certain capabilities (to save them from the axe), there are certain other aspects that suffer.

SL Hardly-Worthitt
3rd Jan 2012, 21:23
I thought another aircraft used the same radar as the SKW?

Think it was called the "Sea Comet" sometimes also referred to as the "Searchwater Test-Bed"!!:E

Ticked all the boxes
4th Jan 2012, 10:49
Good effort indeed but what happens when Afghan finishes and Sea King goes out of service? I fear mainly for all the crews left to look for cockpits elsewhere to fly in an ever shrinking Navy.

orca
4th Jan 2012, 10:55
At least the capability (which can be provided by other assets) actually has a use in the desert.

All I have ever been told by the MTI bunch is that (wait for it) 'the majority or movement is up and down the MSRs' apart from 'at the frontline' where it appears to stop. Brilliant, would never have guessed.;)

Oh no, forgot to mention the pictures of 'possible armour' which looked like a polaroid of Ready Brek.

Sun Who
4th Jan 2012, 17:28
Orca said:

Oh no, forgot to mention the pictures of 'possible armour' which looked like a polaroid of Ready Brek.

Surely you mean Shredded Wheat? Ready Brek is a type of porridge.
http://www.britsuperstore.com/acatalog/Ready_Brek_Original_750g.jpg

I know what you mean though.

Sun

Poltergeist
4th Jan 2012, 18:42
Widger, it appears that the ones with the biggest willys are the suits in MoD who I see, have won millions in bonus :eek:

Tourist
5th Jan 2012, 07:24
orca

MTI is not showing you pictures of anything.
I think you are talking about the other bunch of people doing MTI/SAR.

Siggie
5th Jan 2012, 11:55
smuggled in a large amount in a false bottom, sounds like the wife :hmm:

orca
5th Jan 2012, 14:29
Yes, Tourist old chap, worked with both bunches. One shows up to the de-brief with its Ready Brek pictures with arrows showing small areas of stodgy Ready Brek with arrows pointing to them saying 'possible armour' and 'possible vehicle'...although never the bracket afterwards that should say '(possibly not)'!;) They are usually presented to a quizzical audience by a really confident guy with a QMETI patch (or whatever it is) who in fairness probably worked quite hard to show you a box of static with a small rectangle of static hidden in it.

The other lot (the lot to whom the thread actually refers) are the ones that you check in with, they sound like someone is oscillating their voice box at 12 Hz and someone else is running a food processor behind them. They are the ones that tell you that there is a rotator where the rotators were briefed to be and that they have a mover...wait for it...on the MSR!

Back in the day the same bunch would be half way through telling you where all the 'No Play Strangers' were when the ship got bounced by the Super-Es who hadn't had the decency to wait for the Bagmen to finish their clock code lunacy before giving you what I hesitate to call 'Picture'!;)

Both MTI products eventually get merged into one of those really helpful maps with arrows going up and down roads.

Tourist
5th Jan 2012, 18:02
Yup, that sounds about right.