PDA

View Full Version : How secure are d/l courses in light of recent events?

SuperTed
8th Nov 2001, 19:53
With regard to whats happened at SFT how financially secure are schools offering distance learning courses where money has to be paid upfront either with cash or by credit card.

gazelle507
8th Nov 2001, 22:16
I think it is outragous at the present time that distant learning schools ask for the full costs up front. It should be that a student has the choice of paying in stages, with a deposit to secure the place on the course. I belive that will instill confidence in the student and would show him that the school was financially secure, as it would have to be to offer such a sceme.
There are one or two schools out there who are working, shall we say, a little close to the margins in this very worrying time.
Then there are the schools who charge people a lot of money as an "admin" fee to "manage" their training career before the student even pays for the course.
It was difficult enough before September 11th for a low hour pilot to get a job, it will be vertually imposible now. So listen guys and gals; be very, very carefull who you choose. If the main thread on here says they're okay then take notice. If I had to spend the money over again I would be heading west to a town called Bristol.
DONT let the promises of this and that fool you, they are money making scemes thought up by businessmen because they have nothing else to offer.
This period is the time to reflect and make sure you know the full facts before paying up front. GO TO THE REPUTABLE, PROVEN SCHOOLS THOSE WHO HAVE RESULTS AND PEDIGREE, at least you'll have a fighting chance.
Good luck and fair well.

[ 08 November 2001: Message edited by: gazelle507 ]

[ 12 November 2001: Message edited by: gazelle507 ]

Delta Wun-Wun
8th Nov 2001, 22:22
Can`t speak for the other Schools.I am with Bristol.Their course costs £1800,of which I have paid £900 for the first set of notes.Alex said pay the remainder when I`ve passed the first set of exams. :)

gazelle507
10th Nov 2001, 13:45
It seems that Bristol have got it right and may be the only distance learning school to come out of this reletively unscathed. Hopefully a few more will survive, but as I said in my previous posting, they will survive because of their reputation and achievements.

SOHCAHTOA
10th Nov 2001, 15:01
DONT pay for all up front.
Theres no reason for a school to expect you to hand over your hard earned lolly for both phases, other than for them to earn lots of lovely interest on it.

Use your credit card for any payments and try and get as much info about the company you intend using. There are as many glowing as there are scathing reports about certain (reputable) companies here on pprune.

I have used both Bristol and Oxford for various parts of my training and I am as sure as anyone can be, that Alex at Bristol would not take a penny off anybody if he felt that there was any danger of it all going pear shaped.
As for Oxford, their material is well presented and they are well rooted within the industry. Most of the staff are friendly and willing to help (as far as company policy will allow).

Is your money secure with any of the D/L companies? Dont know anything about the other companies providing courses but as for the two I have referred to, I know where my money would be best spent.

DiverDriver
12th Nov 2001, 04:05
Delta see you at Mary’s on Sunday next.
:)

[ 12 November 2001: Message edited by: DiverDriver ]

F3
12th Nov 2001, 05:08
I'm with SOHCAHTOA on this one.

I have also attended OATS and BFC during my training(Bristol for flying training only) and if I had to trust anyone at this time it would be either of these FTO's.
In the case of OATS one usually had to pay up front - don't know if this has changed.
BFC was less money orientated and more results orientated, ie. teaching the student was the main objective(thanks Nasib & Co)
and you could 'pay as you go'.

The Instructors at both FTO's were superb, but in terms of financial security I think they are both safe for different reasons.
OATS, 'cos they are soooo money/marketing centred and Bristol, well, it is a feisty organisation that manages to be diverse in function(the flying school is only part of the organisation), very busy, but laid back for the student....in so far as you are not one of 500 students(like OATS was)so you have full attention from your instructor and an aeroplane available.

I enjoyed both organisations immenseley and would reccomend either while things are uncertain.

They were happy days.....My heart goes out to anyone who's lost funds to the FTO's that have gone under. You will succeed!

[ 12 November 2001: Message edited by: F3 ]