PDA

View Full Version : Flight school advice for Sydney? private (ppl)

kimmik
3rd Jan 2012, 01:15
Hello, i've been reading about the basic processes and requirements for obtaining a private pilot license. at this point, i have zero flying experience, no one in my family or friends is even in the airline industry. my only experience is in rc model planes and helis.

I've just graduated from uni, and will be just starting work, so affordability would be important. I've read about the SFTC, and i've read about advice to only pay installments (or retroactively), and bits and pieces of recommendation for specific schools.

I live close to the main sydney airport, so bankstown is the closest to me (though i read schools are moving away from bankstown? why?). but if someone has a strong reason then i'm happy to travel to camden, or anywhere 30min or so from sydney airport.

Thanks!

Kim

tail wheel
3rd Jan 2012, 02:10
"SEARCH" function above........

"flying schools sydney", search in forums "Dunnunda"........

Search responds with 124 Threads that are about or mention Flying Schools at Sydney.

You will find your answers in those threads, rather than repetitiously repeating the same questions yet again?

Beware: Most posts are from: (a) disaffected students; (b) flying schools trying to get a free "plug"; or (c) an opposition flying school trying to get a free kick!

Go and talk to each school and make your own decision!

kimmik
3rd Jan 2012, 02:16
i'm sorry i haven't been able to find good advice for my situation in the search function. perhaps you could link me to a specific post that might help me (if you have time on hand)

i would also appreciate specific advice for me, if anyone could offer some, as well as general advice.

I see you've added the little warning - thanks, those were why i didn't feel like i got much from reading what i've found so far.

I will talk to each school prior to starting, for sure, but as i mentioned i have no experience in the field, and as much as i have common sense, esoteric knowledge in aviation isn't exactly all common sense!

tail wheel
3rd Jan 2012, 02:50
The only question I see in your post is:

though i read schools are moving away from bankstown? why?

A: Because Bankstown Airport is a for profit company and landing/parking charges are too expensive for flying training aircraft.

kimmik
3rd Jan 2012, 02:58
look if you really are that upset by the uselessness of my thread just close it. to make it clearer, i've also asked about:

1: recommendation for a flight school for someone on a tight budget

2: are the camden schools worth the further trip than bankstown

3: what things should i look for in seeking a school, considering i'm so completely noob that some people will discredit me as a lost cause after my first and only post

Cleared for take-off
3rd Jan 2012, 10:12
my advice is stay away from Bankstown. BTW, I can't believe you still found any good information on SFTC (they went broke ages ago...)

If you are only looking to do a PPL then Schofields in Bankstown may be a place to consider, they offer member prices and are cheaper than other schools around, not too sure about Camden prices though. Welcome to PM me if you wish. All the best out there :ok:

Jabawocky
3rd Jan 2012, 10:18
Send a PM (private message) to one of our regulars called ultralights. He is away on a hort trip I think, but he is the bloke who comes to mind on here that is in the best spot to offer you advice.

:ok:

kimmik
3rd Jan 2012, 11:41
thanks for the leads, i'll do a bit more reading and then chase things up.

i'm starting to lean away from banks too after reading many posts regarding long taxi times, distance to training area.

at the moment a couple of names that stick out are curtis at camden, and whitworth at banks. though i'm not yet certain how suitable they are for ppl, as lots of ppl's posts have been regarding cpl.

Jack Ranga
3rd Jan 2012, 11:57
Thanks for the leads, I'll do a bit more reading and then chase things up.

I'm starting to lean away from Bankstown too (This is a good get, most of you gen y farkers use to) after reading many posts regarding long taxi times, distance to training area.

At the moment a couple of names that stick out are Curtis at Camden, and Whitworth at Bankstown (Or BK or YSBK). Though I'm not yet certain how suitable they are for PPL, as lots of PPL's posts have been regarding CPL.

Your caps lock broken bro?

kimmik
3rd Jan 2012, 11:59
LOL

nope, apparently not ;P

nor is your OCD ;)

guess i could never be a real pilot!

MakeItHappenCaptain
3rd Jan 2012, 12:01
Don't worry. Second to many students' arithmatic abilities these days.:rolleyes:

Jack Ranga
3rd Jan 2012, 12:02
Sorry dude, in a bit of a funny mood tonight :}

Nor is your OCD ;)

And a bloody good comeback for a gen y :ok: (and sense of humour!)

Jack Ranga
3rd Jan 2012, 12:04
guess i could never be a real pilot!

You'll be OK!

MakeItHappenCaptain
3rd Jan 2012, 12:07
Guess i could never be a real pilot!

Sorry, couldn't resist.:}

Jack Ranga
3rd Jan 2012, 12:11
fark......slipped threw :ugh:

jas24zzk
3rd Jan 2012, 13:37
Guess i could never be a real pilot!

The above, is still incorrect.

I guess I could never become a real pilot!

:ok: