PDA

View Full Version : Northern Cyprus advice please

Jet2LeedsTom
1st Jan 2012, 19:20
Hi all - I wonder if you can help with a question about a forthcoming trip I'm making to Northern Cyprus.

Taking into account all options - travelling via Turkey into Ercan or to Larnaca then crossing via a TRNC border point - what would anybody with experience advice? Presumably if I landed in Larnaca then crossed into TRNC I'd still be entitled to the same amount of time in TRNC, i.e the three months. (it's a long-ish term stay).

I've read that a cab from Larnaca to Nicosia is around £45 but the flights from LBA / elsewhere to Larnaca seem cheaper.

Can anyone advise about the convenience of one versus the other?

Hope this makes sense!

Flightwatch
1st Jan 2012, 21:02
There is an hourly (more-or-less) shuttle service from Larnaca Airport to Nicosia which stops at Philoxenia Square for €7. It probably costs the same again for a taxi from there to the Ledra Street pedestrian crossing if you cannot manage it by foot with baggage.

As far as the crossing is concerned you DO NOT get your passport stamped by the TRNC authorities, they will give you a piece of paper instead which they stamp. This is because officially the TRNC is an "illegal regime" which is recognised only by Turkey.

I have only gone from South to North for a few days at a time so do not know the time limit but it is the same piece of paper that you would get at Ercan. There are many IT companies who ship their passengers to/from the North via Larnaca.

I cannot comment on travel arrangements within the North as I have always gone by car. All this is well documented on the internet.

Good luck.

Pax Vobiscum
3rd Jan 2012, 20:54
I was told in TRNC that if you fly into Ercan you may have difficulty crossing into the Republic of Cyprus (should you wish to do so), as they consider you an 'illegal' immigrant. I saw plenty of cars from the south of the island touring around in the north.

500 above
8th Jan 2012, 20:33
Landing at Larnaka is the better option. Here is the website for the airport shuttles.

Larnaka and Pafos airports both have nice new terminals, Pafos being quicker and easier as a passenger to transit. If push came to shove, you could always get a shuttle from Paphos to Larnaka with the below company. There are other companies that shuttle you directly from Paphos to Nicosia. It's 1.5 hours from Paphos to Nicosia and 45 minutes from Larnaka. Highway all the way.

Kapnos Airport Shuttle (http://www.kapnosairportshuttle.com/)

Dubaian
10th Jan 2012, 09:51
I realise the OP was talking about taking a cab but for those thinking of taking a hire car over from the south to the north of the island while this can be done I was told you had no valid insurance while on the north side.

Tigger4Me
10th Jan 2012, 13:07
It may be worth checking around for car hire. When I worked in Paphos there was a least one company there that did offer insurance cover to Northern Cyprus.

500 above
10th Jan 2012, 19:27
No hire car company on the South does over border hire anymore. You can buy insurance on the border, but only for private vehicles - not red plates. (just asked the girls at the desks in LCA) The bus services are getting very good reviews now the new busses have arrived. Also the local busses in the South, 2 Euros all day and some even have wifi on board.

Off for a Keo now.

Tigger4Me
11th Jan 2012, 11:05
Thanks for the update 500. Have a Keo for me!

Rwy in Sight
3rd Feb 2012, 17:10
I am about to spent this weekend in Cyprus -Nicosia or Lefkosia and I am looking for any tips what to see where to drink or eat.

Any help here please?

Rwy in Sight